The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is about your gear that you love so much
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Nut

What is about your gear that you love so much

OK, OK
We"ll we all love gear that's obvious. What really makes you so in tuned with your gear. Is it all the fancy knobs,the cosmetics, or just the way it sounds. What are the factors to you, when buying gear or when a piece really gets you interested. For me i do love alot of fancy knobs as well as a piece that looks really nice and well built, that really stands out in my rack. I love how gear looks so different and sounds different from one piece to another. I think that is why i love gear so much, is how every piece out there has its own character. So now tell me what you like???
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

For me it could look like a big ole dookie turd, as long as it sounds good. I do try to keep my studio looking nice, but wouldn't pass up a piece of gear do to it not looking cool. But I'm sure a lot of people do by for the looks as much as the sound. Just like people bying for the name, regardless of sound. To each his own though.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

....the way it listens to me.... The way it bows to my every whim....
Old 22nd January 2007
if it sounds good i start to love the way it looks
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

I love my gear.........

when it does what it's supposed to do. When my control surface is "talking nice" to my computer that's hosting Logic, and everybody decides to co-operate and we don't argue or disappoint one another or let one another down.......and are REALLY communicating.........wow....that's when I really love my gear!!
BUT-When the arguments happen and things get ugly, I feel so badly for my mics and pres who are only innocent bystanders and always so faithful and always so reliable, and looking so hurt, wondering why "poppa human" can't get along with "momma Mac and her girlfriend Logic! That's when it hurts!
But isn't it like all relationships?
Gear----can't live with it---can't live without it!
Ah---Gearlust is so blind!!

Last edited by emkay; 22nd January 2007 at 12:19 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude View Post
Like a string section listening to the conductor.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

(rimshot) (small crash) (canned laughter)
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcCirDude View Post
the way i sound thru it...

but it varies, i normally change most of my gear (except for the guitar) every few years... and my sound along with it... i get tired of using the same sounds and move on to others.... but i really don't care how it looks... and i really don't think serious equipment makers should be worried about looks, but sound and reliability and ease of use, is what i really look for...
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

versatility. the ability to be used in unexpected ways if you dig deep. i had to think about this question, and that, upon reflection, is what turns me on the most about the gear i love the most. my moog analog delay finds its way onto so many tracks (even though it's a noisy f*er) because it can do slapback, it can do long and trippy, and it can sound like a bird or the arrival of the apocalypse with tuned feedback. i'd say the same of my boss dd-3, the feedback from which i've used to make beats. my mxr pitch-shift doubler is always finding new uses, and my phase 100 too.

on the pre/compressor/amp side, i think that's the main reason i love tube gear so much, too. you can keep it clean, you can overdrive. i could take this all down the line, into the realm of mics, etc...if i have an oddball idea and a piece of gear helps me execute it with great results, it wins a place in my heart.

that, and the feeling when i look around my studio that, you know, i didn't have a ton of money to put this together, but just about every piece is a well-researched, bang-for-buck classic. and seeing vintage gear well-maintained, that's a warm feeling (pun intended).

the look of gear is a bonus. i'm not big on overt design (e.g., avalon). i like an incidental industrial look--like a sta-level. but i think with the look of gear, as someone above said, if it sounds good it starts to look good. i think a lot of classic gear "looks" good b/c it's classic. would the old ts808's look as good on a pedalboard if not for their reputation? well, they'd look better than any digitech pedal, that's for sure, but i digress...
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

I love the way I never stop learning and that the more I get to know some gear the more interesting and fascinating it becomes. Compressors and mic placement falls squarely into this category.

I'm also pretty fascinated by transducers (both those that blow and those that suck! ). It's amazing that even a set of cheap TV speakers can carry the extraordinary sonics that can come from the world's greatets gear in the hands of the worlds most talented practioners of the craft and art of capturing music. Special music + special sonics = Juicylime smiling. Gear rawks.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Sartiano View Post
Like a string section listening to the conductor.
Haha!!!! Or their intonation compared to the rest of the orchestra....
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

It's paid for.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search