The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help with a Transient Problem Please!
Old 21st January 2007
Help with a Transient Problem Please!

Hey everybody. First time starting a new thread so please be easy on me! Here's the issue...I got a mix going on right now and I 'm having a serious issue with the bass guitar in all of the songs. The bass player recorded the parts heavily compressed!

Whenever there is a rest in his bassline, the next pick creates an awful transient that I can not tame at all. And its not a good transient. Bad, Bad spike! I've had this problem before and remedied it with a de-esser set at that offending frequency...seems to be at about 6kHz on this one. This helps a little bit, but, if set liberally, the gain reduction is too noticable. Is there anything I can do to fix this, short of redrawing everything in PT?

This is happening on the DI track as well as the mic'd track, although the mic'd track is much better.

Please help guys...

Thanks in advance,
M
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

An SPL transient designer set to slow attack would easily cure this.
Old 22nd January 2007

You could use an expander or a gate with a slow release.

I'd leave it - its part of the style.... He plays that way.

-tINY

Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

sony oxford transient modeller can soften this for you.
Old 22nd January 2007
Or put a peak limiter on it or go in a make little fades or fader moves in each note. It might take 20 minutes to do it by hand, but it's going to take hours of mixing until you give up and spend 20 minutes to do it by hand.
Old 23rd January 2007
Thanks everybody for your advise. Unfortunatley, this isn't part of his style. This is a poor compression set up while recording! So I don't want to leave it. This is a sharp, very sharp transient that happens literally in a matter of 10-14 samples. It sounds ugly as hell!!! I may be wrong but I highly doubt if a compressor or limiter could grab this in time. At least it hasn't worked for me. It is also happening in the middle of the performance. I mis spoke when saying it was only after the rests.

I guess what I'm getting at is...is there any plug that is designed to get rid of these types of artifacts?

Thanks slutz, you are always a huge help!

M
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by castle View Post
An SPL transient designer set to slow attack would easily cure this.
There you go!
Old 23rd January 2007
Led
Lives for gear

Zoom in, split the transient into it's own clip, turn it down to an accepatable level, over lap the tail of that clip a few frames into the clip with the rest of the not and put a few frame crossfade between them. If you don't have a transient designer.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

what about just using track automation? I've did wonders on spikes and transients with that.
Old 23rd January 2007
For this type of case I'd draw in volume automation. Anything else will probably be too noticeable.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Yup, your compressor isn't acting quickly enough to get the initial hit at the start of a phrase. Using volume automation would do the trick, or the transient designer, ultra-fast compressor with a shallow threshold so that it only grabs those peaks (fast attack, fast release,) etc.
Old 23rd January 2007
Here for the gear

Limiter?

Could you use a lookahead type peak limiter with a really quick release like logic's? I find that good when I want to put some heavy compression on something with a slowish attack time. It has always tame transients quick enough for me and a millisecond or so of lookahead should be enough to garuntee that it catches it every time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search