The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
A Custom Wooly Mammoth Deluxe MkII -- Tube Edition
Old 11th December 2015
Lives for gear

A Custom Wooly Mammoth Deluxe MkII -- Tube Edition

This past March, I had taken delivery of the very first Wooly Mammoth Deluxe MkII from Tim Gerak at Mammoth Cave Audio -- a boutique gear shop in Denver.

A few months ago, I ran some ideas past Tim, for some upgrades, and after he said he could do what I was asking for, I shipped my WMD MkII off to him when the time was right. (between major projects, etc.)

He is almost done with the mods, having to squeeze it in between his normal work of getting new gear out the door, and I wanted to share some details about what Tim has done for me.

(NOTE: Some of these features may become standard on new models, but some will remain as custom options when asked for, paid for, and agreed on, etc. -- you would have to discuss with Tim.)
  1. The normal WMD has 3 separate input transformers -- an iron (mine is a Carnhill -- the beautiful red one -- don't know if Tim is able to do those in all of his Wooly Mammoths or not), a nickel (Cinemag), and a steel. Now, I will also have a 4th input transformer choice in the form of a Haufe.
  2. Instead of having 1 of 2 separate germanium diode circuits that could be chosen instead of one of the input transformers, I will now have each germanium diode circuit INLINE, with each being able to be blended in, to taste.
  3. Instead of the signal path being fully passive (as in the regular Wooly Mammoth products), I will now have a line amplifier for input gain, which can be used to drive the signal path harder.
  4. Along with the iron output transformer that can be swtiched in/out, there is now a dual tube output stage that can also be switched in/out. Further, to make it easy to swap out various brands of tubes, the tubes are removable from the rear panel.
  5. Last, instead of all black knobs, the larger knobs are now a deep red, and the input gain knobs are white.
  6. And of course, Tim had to rework the silkscreening on the faceplate.

That adds up to a total of 5 transformers (up to 2 at a time), 2 inline germanium diode circuits, and 2 tubes per channel (not to mention the wonderful sounding passive eq filtering that sounds like tape)!

Here is a pic of one channel on the front:
A Custom Wooly Mammoth Deluxe MkII -- Tube Edition-wmd_mkii_tubes_front.jpg
Here is a pic of one channel on the rear:
A Custom Wooly Mammoth Deluxe MkII -- Tube Edition-wmd_mkii_tubes_rear.png
Needless to say -- I am excited to hear it on my mixbus.

-
Attached Thumbnails
A Custom Wooly Mammoth Deluxe MkII -- Tube Edition-wmd_mkii_tubes_rear.png   A Custom Wooly Mammoth Deluxe MkII -- Tube Edition-wmd_mkii_tubes_front.jpg  
Old 11th December 2015
I'm envious. That's too slutty!
Old 5th January 2016
Lives for gear

After some delays (Tim had to get regular work done for other orders), I got word that my custom Wooly Mammoth Deluxe MkII Tube Edition is being shipped out today.
Old 5th January 2016
Lives for gear

Soo your the reason why orders got delayed!! Kidding!
That is badass! How much for the mods do you mind me asking ?
Old 6th January 2016
Lives for gear

I just placed an order for a Wooly Mammoth Deluxe w/ the tube mod.
Through the emails to get it setup, Tim seems like a super duper nice guy and really into what he's doing (and incredibly accommodating and enthusiastic).
Don't mind a bit supporting cool dedicated dudes like him - I'm sure the unit is going to be fantastic.

...can't wait!!!

Thanks Tim!
Old 6th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audio Child View Post
Soo your the reason why orders got delayed!!
No.... regular orders and other custom work is the reason _mine_ got delayed. ;-)
Old 6th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
...Through the emails to get it setup, Tim seems like a super duper nice guy and really into what he's doing (and incredibly accommodating and enthusiastic).
Don't mind a bit supporting cool dedicated dudes like him...
+1 on that!

I just found out that he is even more cool than I could ever have imagined -- I'll share more next week!!

(I have no idea why so many people go bananas over the Silver Bullet, when Tim is building stuff like he is.)

-

Last edited by brucerothwell; 6th January 2016 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: forgot a thought
Old 6th January 2016
Lives for gear

Got it!
Old 6th January 2016
Lives for gear
easy on the silver bullet! we can have 2 products made with love

is there any gain on those tubes or do you still need mic pre's to feed it? i struggled with this on my master buss and just couldn't get a germanium setting to play nice on program material. it was certainly close tho. and i've yet to get it on its own buss with dedicated preamps. white people problems, i know..
Old 6th January 2016
Gear Maniac

Having taken possession of a Ground Control Deluxe, "console-style", with some niggling issues, I will say:

a) Tim's accommodation of some small (but perhaps pain-in-the-butt) requests on my GCD were done very graciously. Rather than them being a hassle, he actually seemed enthusiastic about finding a proper solution. And that he did. How fun would it have been to talk to him about this "custom Wooly Mammoth"? Lots, I imagine.
b) with the niggling issues, there wasn't even a debate about stuff. He has taken the necessary steps to rectify them, again without hassle, but with a seemingly sheepish regretfulness that they came up at all.

It seems his give-a-s**t meter is higher than most, but right where every craftsperson's meter SHOULD be. He takes pride in knowing you're over-the moon happy with the box he made you. If nothing else, this is a good reason to give him your money over another company - great value proposition there.

I can only imagine that everyone getting their boxes from him - delayed or not - will be over-the-moon happy with theirs.
Old 6th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldi View Post
easy on the silver bullet! we can have 2 products made with love...
I was not meaning knock the Silver Bullet, but rather lift the Wooly Mammoth Deluxe.

Quote:
...is there any gain on those tubes or do you still need mic pre's to feed it?
On my custom shop edition that is coming, it has a line amplifier on the front end, so preamps in front are not needed.

-
Old 6th January 2016
My Deluxe Custom is incoming. I’m REALLY exited to slot it into the chain.

r,
j,
Old 7th January 2016
I think it's cool, it should have two extra buttons though one labeled "shock" and one labeled "awe"
Old 7th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucerothwell View Post

(I have no idea why so many people go bananas over the Silver Bullet, when Tim is building stuff like he is.)
I have both! The Silver Bullet frees the Mammoth up to do serious damage on tracks.
Old 7th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talljoe View Post
I have both! The Silver Bullet frees the Mammoth up to do serious damage on tracks.
Mind sharing how you use each?

Enquiring minds want to know. ;-)
Old 7th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
I think it's cool, it should have two extra buttons though one labeled "shock" and one labeled "awe"
Well, how `bout this... the attached image is a portion of the new silkscreen created for my Custom Shop edition...

;-)

-
Attached Images
A Custom Wooly Mammoth Deluxe MkII -- Tube Edition-wmdsatnuke2.jpg 
Old 7th January 2016
That will do
Old 7th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:

I will, once I get the Wooly Mammoth.

I have one SB, and it's great - a truly unique unit. Sounds incredible with many tone shaping abilities, with incredible meters. There's 4 more on the way for me. One use I have in mind is to use 4 for sub-busses a la Brauerize, and one more for the 2-buss.

Mojo for days, which is what I assume the Wooly Mammoth will provide as well, at least I'm hoping...
Old 7th January 2016
Quote:

Curious also.

For anyone with the WM, what sources are you loving it on? How are you routing? Insert, on aux, what settings, how cranked, etc.

Thanks.
Old 8th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:

I received one of the first Silver Bullets then promptly went out of town a few hours later--flying home right now--so I haven't really used them in their final configuration. Right now I use the Mammoth in pretty much one configuration for the mix bus and I feel like a bunch of its functionality is wasted. With the SB to take its place I can really start to explore other settings for things like nasty drums, dirty BG vocals, or thick bass lines.
Old 8th January 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Right now I use the Mammoth in pretty much one configuration for the mix bus and I feel like a bunch of its functionality is wasted.
What's that configuration? Are your germaniums off?
Old 8th January 2016
Gear Nut

Quote:
What's that configuration? Are your germaniums off?
I've talked about it some in this post. Basically through the Haute transformer and the output stage. Sometimes with other stages active.
Old 8th January 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
I've talked about it some in this post. Basically through the Haute transformer and the output stage. Sometimes with other stages active.
oh crap sorry -- didn't realize that was you. I had a similar conversation with bruce with the same conclusion: no germaniums on mix buss:(
Old 11th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinesewhiteman View Post
Curious also.

For anyone with the WM, what sources are you loving it on? How are you routing? Insert, on aux, what settings, how cranked, etc.

Thanks.
CONFIG 1
Mine has been on the insert of my Metric Halo ULN-2, with a fet compressor/limiter in front of it, whereby I can use the compressors' output gain to drive into the WMD a bit.

CONFIG 2
The latest config has been where I use the preamp outputs of the MH ULN-2, and drive directly into the WMD (as much as needed), then feed into the fet comp/limiter, then back into the MH ULN-2 line-level input.

CONFIG 3
When I get my newly customized WMD later this week (in case Tim reads this -- wink wink, nudge nudge), with an active line amplifier on each channel, I can go back to the original config I had, but leave the fet comp/limiter after the WMD.

SETTINGS
Regarding settings, for a mix or master, I definitely leave off the germanium diode circuits, and use the Slant filtering (marvelously sounds like tape), and use the Iron or Haufe input transformer (the Haufe is a custom option that was available at the time I bought mine), and sometimes leave out the output transformer (also an iron, but not a Carnhill, I think) -- or vice versa... ouput trafo in, an input trafo out.

You just need to try all combinations to find out what sounds good to you.

For a drum bus, I'll definitely use one of the germanium diode circuits and go for a crushed sound, with the idea of blending the track with the original.

-

Last edited by brucerothwell; 11th January 2016 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: forgot a point
Old 24th February 2016
Lives for gear

Well, I now have it in my rack, and here are a couple pics of it on the bench before it left the Mammoth Cave Audio custom shop:
FRONT:
A Custom Wooly Mammoth Deluxe MkII -- Tube Edition-20160125_222742_resized.jpg
REAR:
A Custom Wooly Mammoth Deluxe MkII -- Tube Edition-20160125_222156_resized.jpg
Tim offered to apply a new faceplate color that is a throwback to Telefunken glory days -- a light green/gray color.

It also has the burgundy and white knobs in place, which was a scheme we worked out.

Be on the lookout for an announcement from Mammoth Cave Audio regarding a new product offering, based on this custom piece Tim built for me.

Also, I will endeavor to start posting some A/B samples soon.
Attached Thumbnails
A Custom Wooly Mammoth Deluxe MkII -- Tube Edition-20160125_222742_resized.jpg   A Custom Wooly Mammoth Deluxe MkII -- Tube Edition-20160125_222156_resized.jpg  
Old 27th May 2016
Gear Head

Still waiting mine...
Are you happy with it ? You used it on all project ?
Old 27th May 2016
I’m waiting too. Tim is apparently swamped.

r,
j,
Old 27th May 2016
Lives for gear

Hehe...me too.

I'm apparently in line for the first MK3 tube edition:

...but, the wait has been excruciating. I'm hoping it'll be worth it.
Old 12th June 2016
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transistor View Post
I’m waiting too. Tim is apparently swamped.

r,
j,
Ive bought mine in October 2015...havent received yet...
Does anyone had to wait THAT much?
I am almost pissed off, since Tim was very cool in the initial mails.
Now its really hard to get in touch with them and my pacience is runnig off...
Anyone had to wait 8 months like i am?
Thanks
Old 12th June 2016
Lives for gear

I'm waiting on a message to him as well...don't know what's going on.

I ordered in Jan.

📝 Reply