The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions on Audix D2 Dynamic Microphones
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Opinions on Audix D2

I found an Audix D2 that I can buy for about $50 (without case or any acces.)

I have D112s for kicks and jillions of 57s/58s.

I don't really NEED this mic, but at the price...

Opinions?
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

I love the D2s, and use them all the time on the smaller toms. They have more of a deep rock tone than my MD421s (which I also use all the time).

Great mics for the price.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

this has been my undersnare mic for sometime, although i switch it up..
Old 21st January 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

Great mic for snare, toms, hand-drums. Great price too!
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

I have some and have never been blown away by them...pretty average mics in my opinion...but as you can see from the other posters YMMV.
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Guru

I have three of them. I don't think they're great mics but they are very servicable. I use them on toms and hand percussion. I prefer 421s on toms, but I don't presently own any.
Old 21st January 2007
AB3
Lives for gear

I need to revise my prior post. I overstated it. I would not call them "great" mics. But they are great mics for $50!
And they are very good at utility mics.
But the rest of the chain will determine the mileage out of them.
For instance, I got a great snare sound with one - but I started with a great DW snare, going through an API with an A Designs ATTY so I could drive up the gain on the API and enter a nice sweet spot. Was just the snare sound I wanted.
Toms are good - but obviously there are better mics, but usually a lot more costly.

Congas can be very good but I would prefer a pair of Sennheiser MD409s, but now a lot more money for those.

I hope this helps. I just think for $50, it is a nice extra mic to have. For $200, I say forget it.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict

I paid an "honest used" price for mine and I'm plenty happy with the results I get using them on toms.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Mission accomplished....

You talked me out of it!

It is at a pawn shop and they have a few other mics I am interested in.
The D2 doesn't sound "special" enough from you guy's reviews.
I guess that the D4 is the kick drum mic?

We had about twelve Audix mics back in the early days of a sound company I did work for in the '80s. They were the "spare mics" and they SUCKED for live apps! Specifically, I once used them for two days to mic a stage with 90% ACSTC instruments and their gain was HORRIBLE! We had six stages going, so we had every available mic being used. I drew the short straw, I guess. These were Audix mics that looked like black, slightly shorter SM57s.

I am trying to get the pawn shop down to $500.00 on a TLM103 (missing mic stand mount)
They also have a Audio Technica 4033 (?) I might pick up.

Thanks for the opinions,
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Head

The D4 is more or less a floor tom mic. I own one. to answer the guys first question I would think the 57 would do a better job. The D6 is the kick mic. IMHO the 421 kicks em all in the butt on a tom. I would give second place to th 57.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

I've used all the Audix D-series mics (except the D6) and I think part of the problem is that Audix markets them as a drumkit solution. If you don't like them on drumkit, you tend to think "eh, these suck" or "eh, these aren't so hot" and then you forget about them. I'll use D2's or D4's on toms if they're there, & I'll use a D1 on snare if it's there (meaning if I've arrived at the studio & the assistant has already set them up), but they're rarely my first choice. And if there's a D4 on the kick drum when I arrive, sorry, you're removing it! And 4 sugars in my coffee please.

But...

I bought a D2 several years ago...used, I think I paid $60 or $70 for it...because it is KILLER on clean electric guitar amps. And I've used D3's on trumpet and trombone quite successfully.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search