The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Putting studio in storage -- what needs heat?
Old 6th December 2015
Putting studio in storage -- what needs heat?

Most of our studio gear is going to storage for a couple months in my mother-in-law's garage while we make repairs to the foundation of the building. On the brightside, we'll get to make some upgrades to the space.

Wondering if y'all have some advice about what can be stored in a cold garage and what needs to not be exposed to that temperature dip.

The control room is going to stay intact, and all the instruments will be kept inside. Curious about speakers, amplifiers, effects pedals, mics etc. I don't need to worry about cabling, right?
Old 6th December 2015
Lives for gear
How cold will it get?
Old 12th December 2015
Old 12th December 2015
Lives for gear

Nothing needs heat, trust me, I've had it below zero in my studio at times. What is critical is dryness. Moisture is the enemy. Unless you have way too much heat, that is bad too. Good luck.
Old 12th December 2015
With the mics, I would get some silica gel packs and throw them in the cases or boxes you'll be keeping them in. Maybe do that with anything that will be boxed as packed stuff can tend to trap moisture.
Old 13th December 2015
Good call on the silica stuff. I'm going to get a bunch and use 'em year round.
Old 13th December 2015
Lives for gear

I have stored all sorts of electronics in my garage that would get in the 30's. Nothing was effected. I wouldn't even be overly concerned about moisture, unless water is actually problematic. Being cautious is good but I never found that to be an issue, even with more sensitive things like floppy drives and condenser mics.

My only advice would be to store everything in boxes, both to protect everything, and to keep it orderly. That isn't because of cold though. I have had my studio in storage more than once and that helped me a lot.
Old 18th December 2015
Uh oh. It looks like the whole foundation will have to get ripped out. So I'm probably going to have to move the instruments and tape machine and everything into a climate controlled storage unit.

Anything I should watch out for?
Old 18th December 2015
Get insurance!
Old 16th November 2018
Deleted ca98332
bump.

I'm looking to maybe doing this in the near future too and renting a climate controlled storage garage. anyone have any advice to share about how to do this in the safest way, both for the gear packing and what to look for with a storage facility? thanks.
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Maniac

@ DuffMan2000 put everything in rack cases and flight cases. wrap fragile cable connectors (i.e. EDAC or DB25) in styrofoam and pack them in stackable plastic totes. get insurance.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search