The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Which amp should I get,if i wanna play some funk & fusion with a strat?
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Head

Which amp should I get,if i wanna play some funk & fusion with a strat?

I wanna play some funk and fusion.I wanna got a strat.

And I wonder which amp i should get,if i wanna play some funk and fusion with my strat?

Thanks.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Head

I've got a Marshall AVT150. with 2 clean and 2 overdrive channels, its got to be one of the most versatile amps. I love the clean tones and can get that vintage funk sound with the tiniest amount of gain but max volume. i use it for doing a lot of theatre and play funk a lot. and it handles everything.
im a big fan. best value for money amp i think. ive had it for years and cant speak highly enough about it.

James.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiker View Post
I wanna play some funk and fusion.I wanna got a strat.

And I wonder which amp i should get,if i wanna play some funk and fusion with my strat?

Thanks.
Check out this thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-many-guitars-so-little-time/81139-obscure-boutique-amp-companies-lets-hear-em.html
I like the Framus stuff.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Head

Actually Im a Marshall fan as well.
but,I wanna get some really classic strat sound.
I want other people heard that sound,probably some funk riff, and they would say:That's absolutely a Strat!

Can Marshall do that?

BTW,Some of my friends suggested me get a Fender Tube Amp

What do you think?
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

This really isn't brain surgery. If you want that classic James Brown, O Jays, Ohio Players, etc. funk sound and you've already got a strat, I would just get a Fender Twin and be done with it. It's the right tool for that job.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Addict

boogie MK III from the 80's

dd
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwareguy View Post
This really isn't brain surgery. If you want that classic James Brown, O Jays, Ohio Players, etc. funk sound and you've already got a strat, I would just get a Fender Twin and be done with it. It's the right tool for that job.
I would agree. I'm a big Marshall fan but it's been my experience that guitarists that consider themselves funk traditionalists don't like to play through a Marshall or Vox amp. Fender or Music Man or something similar or maybe even a JC120.
Old 20th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedarling View Post
boogie MK III from the 80's

dd
for that app I agree, they can be clean and big for funk and give you enough hair for fusion.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

An old Fender Twin with pedal of your choice for overdrive!!!
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Dumble... :-)

...modded Fender Prosonic does it for me, though.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

I was gonna say Silverface Fender Super Reverb since the four tens will probably do better than two twelves, and the lower output will save your cranium.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah... for clean funky sounds... the twin rules...
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Addict

I think that if you associate a Strat with funky/fusion guitar, you are possibly referring to a Boogie MIII/Strat combo. That combo was way popular in the 80s. For pre 80s funky guitar, I for some reason don't really think Stratocaster. Jimi Hendrix played a Strat through a Marshall, and to me he was one of the funkiest guitarists. Probably not what most people think of when you say funk and Strat. FWIW, I was hired by Kurzweil many years ago to do their "funky Stratocaster guitar" samples for the K2000. I'd play some funky guitar, and they would say, "yeah that sounds great". Then they would proceed to try and deconstruct the playing and ultimately record every note on every string, struck the same way, three times. Then go back and record each note struck slightly differently, and on and on. No funk would ever come from this! Pretty hilarious. They were all direct. Fusion style overdrive/distortion never sounded very natural, so I'm sure there are pedals that pretty much do that kind of thing. Oh yeah, a small 1-12" or 2-10" Music Man or Fender open back combo would be just fine for recording. Use stock/weak pickups, not to close to the strings.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Karma View Post
Fender or Music Man or something similar or maybe even a JC120.
I agree with that, and the early Boogie recommendations. 60/70's Marshalls would also work for a dirtier funk sound, ala Funkadelic, but anything from the JCM800 series onwards, excluding the reissues of the 60/70's stuff, is just too raucous for funk. I have a Blackface Fender Twin Reverb myself, as it is also ideal for my Rhodes and Clavinet (other classic funk instruments). I can also get useable funk guitar sounds out of a Pignose.
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky Karma View Post
Fender or Music Man or something similar or maybe even a JC120.
I agree wholeheartedly. I was wondering if anyone would mention a JC.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search