The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Digital desk to automate or analogue
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Nut

Digital desk to automate or analogue

Hi, I run Logi 7.2 through a metric halo2882. I have a tascam tmd24 digital crappy desk and I would like to mix with faders...I dont think this desk can be hooked up as a controller they never supplied any info on that and I have searched...if anyone knows anything please let me know.

Secondly as people are so into ITB mixing nowdays (and I have some nice pres on the MH and some others) should I just get a controller surface rather than for example a Toft desk. I dont want to kick off a debate but it is generally accepted that we can make ITB mixes sound great right??

Thanks
Hooooorah my first post!!
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

congrats on your first post

I am running Logic Pro and like it. Mackie Control Universal a solid control surface and makes for very smooth work flow with Logic. It is pretty close to plug and play. Even though I have an analog console I direct a great deal of traffic with the MCU. I recommend starting with the MCU and seeing how things go. Fader automation on the MCU is nice. Work flow is quick with the MCU. That being said I do like having an analog console but would definately get a control surface before the analog console. From a money standpoint the cost of a MCU is way less that a good console. Regarding the ITB vs OTB debates I think that most would agree that unless the console is a great one that there is little to be gained and alot to lose. I am not making any implications regarding the Toft. I know absolutely nothing about it that I consider fact.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Nut

thankyou very much

I'll check it out!
Old 29th August 2008
Gear Head

Can the Mackie Control work as a stand-alone mixer for live performances as well?

I know that the Mackie Onyx with Firewire can do this.

So what are the differences between the two?
Old 29th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lebouche View Post
I dont want to kick off a debate but it is generally accepted that we can make ITB mixes sound great right??

The question more or less is can you make ITB mixes sound great...

Some people can, some people can't. There are too many variables to make a generalization, it's just one of those things.

To me, one of the most important factors that keeps me mixing on my console is the hpf and eq section. To me, it is not something I could use efficiently itb. Maybe with a 32 channel Icon that could control plugin eq's and hpf's... But still for some reason, I can see that as being a hassle to use with speed. This is an indispensable function of my desk.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search