The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Culture Vulture VS Culture Vulture Mastering Edition
Old 27th October 2011
Gear Head

---- August 5th, 2011 Update: Welcome visitor! I guess you're here because you're wondering about the differences between the CV and the Mastering version? Well, jump over to Post #26 (click) for the *definitive* comparison in a bite-sized all-in-one post. Enjoy! ----

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevlar View Post

here's the official pic heh
Looks totally sexy, to be honest. Rugged metal, heavy knobs and that lovely, green light that gives it a really retro vibe. Your products are extremely well built and this is obviously no exception.

I wondered whether you were going to put it in a stompbox or not, as that would have made sense for guitarists, but even without that you've still got a pedal switch input, so that's good.

I like the idea of a totally dedicated one-channel guitarist version, and I already know how damn good it sounds. No doubt this is a perfect choice for guitarists looking for the warmest, fattest, most musical distortion out there. I fell in love with the Culture Vulture the moment I turned it on. It was the first distortion unit that sounded effin' fantastic no matter how much you cranked the gain, and it's the first distortion I turn to every single time, whether it's for destruction or for gentle analog warming. It's that damn good.
Old 27th June 2012
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris White View Post
------- UPDATED COMPARISON BETWEEN THE VARIOUS EDITIONS. THIS POST IS NOW THE ONLY COMPARISON YOU'LL EVER NEED. -------
[*] The improved tubes are the *EXACT SAME* ones as the Anniversary edition, and they lead to *very* low noise and far better frequency response than the old Mastering Edition (and of course the Normal version). The frequency response of the current NORMAL edition is "+/- 1.75dB over 50Hz to 15kHz (at low distortion)". The frequency response of the current MASTERING PLUS edition is "+0.5dB/-1dB over 40Hz to 20kHz".
Anyone know if you can upgrade a normal edition with higher grade tubes to get the frequency response of the mastering edition? I'm trying to decide which one to get. The improved frequency response of the mastering plus edition is very appealing, but I don't need the other mastering features.
Old 2nd September 2018
Anyone try upgrading their culture vulture to the mastering level, with respect to the tubes?
Old 2nd September 2018
I see watford valves sells replacement kits for all versions. Seems to me one could simply buy the watford mastering tubes for the regular culture vulture and upgrade it that way. Anyone tried this?
Old 27th August 2019
Here for the gear
Any chance for an updated comparison between Culture Vulture Super15 vs CV20A?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric4001 View Post
Anyone know if you can upgrade a normal edition with higher grade tubes to get the frequency response of the mastering edition? I'm trying to decide which one to get. The improved frequency response of the mastering plus edition is very appealing, but I don't need the other mastering features.
Anybody can solve this question?
Old 4 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricJed View Post
Anybody can solve this question?
You can swap out the tubes in any CV for quite a few different options. Even the manual provides alternatives. I don't know what else goes into the mastering version or if it's just the tubes, but I own both the original black CV and a Super15 and have swapped tubes around - not to fix anything, just for different tones - for years.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search