The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Logic's answer to Digi's playlist function
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Logic's answer to Digi's playlist function

Does it exist? I don't use pro tools much but my friend just got an 002r rig and that is a really rad function.

I always end up with takes all over the dam arrange window in Logic, a total mess. any ideas?
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Addict

No playlists in Logic (maybe in 8 whenever it may come out ) but extensive use of folders might tidy up things for you a bit.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Can you elaborate on the folders thing? Not real sure what you mean
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrif08 View Post
Can you elaborate on the folders thing? Not real sure what you mean
They're a PITA to learn how to use and then to use in a timely manner. Its actually one of the (many) reasons I dumped logic...
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

anyone have a workaround for this?
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
anyone have a workaround for this?

I usually have several copies of the same tracks. Tracks in Logic are linked to an object in the arrange (audio channel) but there can be several copies of the same track. I just have different tracks that are assigned to the same object and then I can mute or hide the tracks I don't want to hear/see .... hope this helps, if not let me know and I can post some screenshots.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimaka View Post
I usually have several copies of the same tracks. Tracks in Logic are linked to an object in the arrange (audio channel) but there can be several copies of the same track. I just have different tracks that are assigned to the same object and then I can mute or hide the tracks I don't want to hear/see .... hope this helps, if not let me know and I can post some screenshots.
I think I get what you're saying but screen shots would be awesome. Thanks man
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimaka View Post
I used to do this same thing, but it is still no where near as handy as the playlist feature in PT, especially when tracking and comping. Logic REALLY needs to get on board with something like playlists...
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

If you think playlists in PT are cool you should look at Nuendo's stacked recording. I imagine all daws will eventually have this feature as Sonar added a similar feature in v5 I think. There is no easier way to keep track of takes or comp them IMHO.

You might want to request something like that from Apple in the next Logic update.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
You might want to request something like that from Apple in the next Logic update.
I'm not so sure they're taking personal requests...

for real though, it's a super handy feature that all DAW's probably [should have
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

In PT I still have 2 or 3 duplicates of a track while I am doing takes even when there's the playlist and takelist features.

I think the most important thing is to know when to throw something away... and to decide what to keep and don't wait till the last moment, but I know that's more easy said than done...
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post

I think the most important thing is to know when to throw something away... and to decide what to keep and don't wait till the last moment, but I know that's more easy said than done...
Actually, if you ask me, a garbage take should go straight to the garabage. Problem is, sometimes I've got someone in the band looking over my shoulder sayin 'keep it just in case' or something along those lines... I'm a clean freak and that kind of clutter drives me up a wall
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, if you ask me, a garbage take should go straight to the garabage. Problem is, sometimes I've got someone in the band looking over my shoulder sayin 'keep it just in case' or something along those lines... I'm a clean freak and that kind of clutter drives me up a wall
If a band says "keep it just in case" they mean "keep it just in case." Its just hard drive space...
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

couldn´t the audio window in logic work for this purpose?
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not so sure they're taking personal requests...

for real though, it's a super handy feature that all DAW's probably [should have
For sure they aren't taking individual requests. tutt But (hopefully) maybe if enough users request something they'll actually give it some thought.

Wishful thinking huh?
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dokushoka View Post
If a band says "keep it just in case" they mean "keep it just in case." Its just hard drive space...
Indeed, I think you may have missed my point. All I'm saying is I wish there was a more efficient way to keep track of it all
Old 21st January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
couldn´t the audio window in logic work for this purpose?
Yes to a degree. I keep one screenset with the Audio Window and the Arrange page.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search