The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
John Coltrane
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

So many are so good. It really depends on the mood. A Love Supreme, Giant Steps, Crescent, Blue Train, Village Vanguard, Coltrane Plays the Blues are obviously up there. A Love Supreme is generally considered his masterpiece. I love my Japanese vinyl copy. Duke Ellington & John Coltrane is in my opinion the best of all. Also check out Africa/Brass, Om and Sun Ship. Anything involving the main quartet is freaking killer. IMHO he is a top 5 musician since the inception of recording.
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

Live at Birdland really got me started. Awesome.
Many others have been mentioned, but Miles Davis' Milestones is a fine showcase of the 'Trane/Cannonball era.
I also love the Thelonius Monk/Coltrane record.
There are some incredible vidoes on Youtube as well. One in particular is a TV show recorded in Europe(can't remember which country) where Miles had some kind of dispute with the producers and refused to play. So it's the MD Quintet minus Miles led by 'Trane. Very cool, indeed.
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

coltrane only has good albums. But Giant Steps and Blue Train do it for me I like his stuff with Monk too
Old 24th December 2011
Ballads - hard to say if its the best Coltrane but its one of the best Ballad recordings.
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear

The Term "Mind Blowing" is apt for Coltrane ..
Old 24th December 2011
Gear Head

It depends on the week. This week it's Giant Steps.
Old 24th December 2011
I've been a fan for over 30 years. There is no 'best of'. But personnal favs are 'Newport 63' which for me is the best soprano solo ever on 'My Favorite Things'. He was playing out of his skin (I'm a sax player) and 'First Meditations'. He's playing on that album was so free and creative. There are many, many more. 'Naima' a live version from 1965 at Antibes is a masterclass of how to play a ballad with control and be totally creative at the sametime. I could go on.
Old 24th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by satissounds View Post
I've been a fan for over 30 years. There is no 'best of'. But personnal favs are 'Newport 63' which for me is the best soprano solo ever on 'My Favorite Things'. He was playing out of his skin (I'm a sax player) and 'First Meditations'. He's playing on that album was so free and creative. There are many, many more. 'Naima' a live version from 1965 at Antibes is a masterclass of how to play a ballad with control and be totally creative at the sametime. I could go on.
I love Newport 63 also--Roy Haynes on drums because Elvin was unavailable for some reason.

Am I the only person who loves Expression, Coltrane's last album? That one really speaks to me. (So many others also do, of course.)
Old 24th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Open Sky View Post
Obviously it depends on your taste. For me it used to be "A Love Supreme," but then I heard "Crescent."

There are a few distinct stylistic periods. His most acclaimed is from roughly 1961 to 1965 with his classic quartet. Both the above albums were made during this time. Obviously his time spent with Miles was equally important. For that check out "Kind of Blue."

Gotta go!
I was pushing 'Trane to one of my online songwriter friends who said he liked saxophone jazz (but hadn't got past a certain light jazz player) and he took me up on the suggestion, looked on the web or somewhere, saw that A Love Supreme was considered by some to be a pinnacle in his career, bought it -- and was completely at sea in that album, which is one of Coltrane's most outside efforts. If you're deeply immersed in the progression of bebop and postbop into the avant-jazz of the 60s, the album may strike one as brilliant -- but I'm afraid it's deep water for an introduction.

My own introduction to Coltrane was the Olé album -- which I deeply love to this day (of course, that's how people work, innit?) -- and it's probably representative of some of the more traditionally grounded of his later work. But, honestly, something a little more 'traditional' in its framework, like Blue Trane may well be a better intro, unless one is looking for the more outside stuff.

But, gosh, there's just so much. I was reviewing my subscription service's list of Coltrane albums and there are so many good ones.

If someone was looking for a still 'softer' introduction, the collection Coltrane Plays for Lovers, despite the lame name, is really quite a nice album in a mellow mode.

It draws on the John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman album, which is really great, as long as one can get on the classic jazz vocal wavelength of Hartman -- but that's a great thing to do. When I first heard the album in the early 70s, when I was into Coltrane's more outside stuff but still exploring, I stopped dead at the Coltrane/Hartman album. I totally didn't get it. Coltrane sounded great to me but Hartman sounded so 'square' to me at the time. After 40 years of absorbing it all, I'd say Hartman sounds gloriously timeless.

But you know, a lot depends on where you are in your personal journey, how this stuff will hit you...

Good on whoever above suggested 'Trane's work with Monk, as well. Monk... more deep water. Deceptively deep in Monk's case. When I first heard him, I thought his music was 'clever'... after rediscovering it years later, I started realizing the rhythmic and melodic 'cleverness' was just the flowering of a strange and restless imagination.

And, of course, as Open Sky suggests above, Coltrane's time with Davis was marked by amazing work from both of them and some other fabulous players...

Really, it's so hard to pick a couple albums when it's such rich stuff. That's why I'm so glad for my MOG subscription. I have a bunch of Coltrane albums but there are so many more I now would have a hard time living without.
Old 24th December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confusionator View Post
I love Newport 63 also--Roy Haynes on drums because Elvin was unavailable for some reason.

Am I the only person who loves Expression, Coltrane's last album? That one really speaks to me. (So many others also do, of course.)
Yes Expression is in my top 5 of Coltrane albums. Great record.
Old 24th December 2011
although they are completely different my faves are Transition and the album with Johnny Hartman. on the latter the version of Lush Life is the best ever!
Old 25th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Ballads - hard to say if its the best Coltrane but its one of the best Ballad recordings.
Despite the fact that my tastes tend to gravitate towards the avant-garde, dissonant, angular, complex, often abrasive, and many times just downright weird, Ballads is still the Coltrane album that gets the most airtime in my house. It is just so perfect for those times when you want a little 100% pure romance with 0% saccharine. Awesome album.
Old 25th December 2011
Gear Head

"LUSH LIFE" overall for sheer TONE and SOUL straight up Trane.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search