The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Aligning Drum Tracks/Beat Detective
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Aligning Drum Tracks/Beat Detective

This is a duplicate of a topic I posted in the "MUSIC COMPUTERS" forum, but I need help, so...

A good friend of mine has some cuts recorded in ProTools LE and he used drum tracks from a TASCAM 8 track casette multitrack unit.
The 8 track cassette has the drums split out onto six tracks (K / S / Tom L / Tom R / OH L / OHR) and a stereo mix.

He transferred the stereo drum mix to PT and OD'd bass, GTRs, KYBDs and vocals.
He would now like to transfer and sync the six split out tracks to the already recorded material, but the cassette 8-track is running slower and the tracks are about a second long compared to the original stereo mix.
I am also sure that even if he gets the first and last beats to fall together by time compressing the six tracks the deck would not be stable enough for all of the track to be in good sync.

My idea was to time compress the longer six tracks to match the length of the stereo mix and then use Beat Detector to put everything back in sync.

If anyone has experience doing this it would great if you could add any suggestions.... please?
Old 20th January 2007
hum, sounds like your guna have to spend quite alot of time staring at the screen!

this might help....

recored the muti track drums into tools and group them all together. then use tap to transiant and cut out every single hit from the drums. this doesnt take as long as you think if you get into a rhythm

tab apple E tap apple E tab apple E tab apple E.......

now move all your cut tracks together so that the last hit from the muti track lines up with the last from the stereo. have the stereo below the mulities.

now tab into the stereo and shift click into the multi track (still grouped). the curser will now be on the first hit of the stereo track and in the same place in the multi track. now ctrl click on your multi track and ta da your multi hit flys over to the first hit.

then tab again for the next hit and ctrl click again on the mulit track. repeat many times

you will get gaps between the regions but try a batch fade out over all the regions. that might solve the kick, snr and tom tracks but you may need to stretch each overhead region!!!!!

OR

use vocal align

load one side of the stereo in and process each track of the drums, this works surprisingly well as it will automaticly stretch stuff to match the stereo

OR

im sure you could do something cool if you put them into abelton live (which should be availble to you i you bought LE)

good luck!
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

My idea was to use Vocalign first and then use beat detective.

Isn't there an automated way fix drums in Beat Detective that isn't so "labor intensive?"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search