The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm Audio quality issues? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 27th November 2015
Here for the gear

Warm Audio quality issues?

The studio i work at, amongst heaps of other gear, has 2x TB12 tone beast, 2x WA76 and an EQP-WA and we seem to be having trouble with a lot of it. The boss is on the phone with the local supplier to get things sorted but i was wondering if anyone else has experienced QC issues with the warm stuffs?

The EQP-WQ worked the first time i used it, then has started making a helicopter type sound but still passes audio... that sounds like its riding on a helicopter. Ive tried swapping valves and making sure all connections are tight but with no luck.

One TB12 has developed a slight buzz when the high pass filter is engaged

The WA76 VU meters are not even close. i know they are not a "matched" pair but they seem to be about 3-4 db off each other, but they still sound good

I did a weekend session at a studio next town over and their WA76 VU meters were more inconsistent than ours and one of them simply wouldn't pass audio with 4:1 ratio selected.

Anyone else?
Old 27th November 2015
No issues with my WA76 compressor (approx. 9 months use). Very happy...wish I could say the same about my AKG K702 headphones! Sorry to hear you're having problems. Good luck with a fix.
Old 27th November 2015
Gear Maniac
I have two EQs from them and they both have small problems. First of all, the knobs are not positioned on the dial very well... some are set perfectly on the scale, others are one or two millimeters off. Adjusting in a stereo situation becomes a hassle because of this as you have to go from 0 position and count the "clicks" to get the exact same setting on both EQs. That's the smallest issue.

Bigger issues:
Both EQs after turning them on, make a VERY loud bang/click sound (that visually moves the drivers of my monitors) when switching the frequency knobs. They both do this for the first 5-6 times when switching the knobs, then it's like the contacts are cleaned and it's fine. One of both EQs has a further issue that when switching the low frequency switch, on the setting 400Hz and 800Hz, it won't pass audio most of the time... you have to switch forth and back around 10 times on average to get it to pass audio.

IMO, you get what you pay for. I think because of the very low price you pay in regards to what you get, they have to cut costs heavily on manufacturing and QC. A bit sad, but again, you get what you pay for.
Old 27th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
No issues with my WA76 compressor (approx. 9 months use). Very happy...wish I could say the same about my AKG K702 headphones! Sorry to hear you're having problems. Good luck with a fix.
What's up with your AKGs?
Old 27th November 2015
Lives for gear

I have a pair of warm audio eq's. Had the helicopter noise. Didn't have it at first then put in my patch bay and there it was. The first run went out patch bay untested and need a resister added. I delt with Bryce direct and his service was second to none. One of the fastest and best responses I've had with a gear company
Old 27th November 2015
Lives for gear

Also my knobs were slightly out with each other. Nothing a drew driver and five mins won't sort out!
Old 27th November 2015
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callison View Post
Also my knobs were slightly out with each other. Nothing a drew driver and five mins won't sort out!
I'll have to take those five minutes then!
Old 27th November 2015
Lives for gear

Hope you have a drew driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibber View Post
I'll have to take those five minutes then!
Old 27th November 2015
Lives for gear

I haven't used any Warm stuff myself (WA76 on my list though) But I seem to see alot of the same things across forums:

1) Sound great
2) Inconsistent Quality/ Reliability
3) GREAT direct Support

And to me, 1 and 3 make me not worry about 2.
Old 27th November 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmbeatz View Post
What's up with your AKGs?
The left headphone has stopped working; I'm guessing it's a solder joint inside. On the K701's it's possible to twist and release the external grill covering to access the internals - but not possible on the K702's. Doesn't seem to be any way to remove the grill without damaging it - perhaps a special tool is needed.
Old 27th November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KamandaSD View Post

1) Sound great
2) Inconsistent Quality/ Reliability
3) GREAT direct Support
This is my experience exactly. The direct support is amazing, in fact it's so good that it has been easier/faster to deal directly with Bryce than with my local dealers in Europe. Unfortunately I've had problems with 2 of my 5 Warm units. Everything was taken care of in the best possible way but it still makes me less inclined to buy more. Without the previous issues I would probably have gotten a pair of the eq's but I've decided to wait for more reports on how they perform.
Old 18th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.F.Sorrow View Post
This is my experience exactly. The direct support is amazing, in fact it's so good that it has been easier/faster to deal directly with Bryce than with my local dealers in Europe. Unfortunately I've had problems with 2 of my 5 Warm units. Everything was taken care of in the best possible way but it still makes me less inclined to buy more. Without the previous issues I would probably have gotten a pair of the eq's but I've decided to wait for more reports on how they perform.

My experience too. Had issues with 3 out of 4 EQP-WA's.
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by milktown View Post
i was wondering if anyone else has experienced QC issues with the warm stuffs?
I had a tonebeast show up with the rack lid missing and no power supply.

I had the same power supply on a WA76 which I used to test it. Which was great because I was able to run it through some testing up against some CAPI stuff.

I returned the tonebeast... but... I love the WA76 amigo. Mucho keeper imho. ymmv (great platform for mods btw)

Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

Pair of EQ's, No issues.
Old 18th December 2015
Gear Maniac

I have a WA76 and an EQP-WA and they both sound great! Haven't had any major issues, a loose knob on the EQ and it took me a while to adjust the VU meter on the 76 but luckily those were the only issues I've had so far. I'm happy with both units and would highly recommend them.
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear
WA76, no issues here so far.
Old 18th December 2015
Here for the gear

One Tb12 and one wa76 no issues here.
Old 19th December 2015
Lives for gear
I've got a pair of the EQs and I had the same problem. I believe they call it 'motor-boating' ... That's what my tech called it anyway.

So I sent a quick video to Bryce and he responded straight away even with the time difference [I'm in the UK] he told me how it could be fixed and offered to do it. I just did it myself. From what I remember it was just adding a cap and a resistor somewhere. It sounds a lot more complicated than it actually was if you can use a soldering iron.

I found the customer service from Warm to be great though and I was up and running with the EQs within a few hours
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

I've noticed compression levels can drift on my WA76s. They sound great, especially with the Revive mods, but it's messed up my sound when tracking before. I'd set compression on a kick drum, for example, to be about 2-3 dB in GR. When we were actually recording, however, I noticed the GR had drifted down to about 0.5 dB. Wasn't as punchy.
Old 21st September 2017
Lives for gear

I have a pair of the EQs and th WA-76. No complaints.
Old 22nd September 2017
The wa76 had to be sent out to be fixed 2 weeks after I got them. Sold them as soon as they came back, couldn't get it to sound good for the life of me!
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Approx 2 1/2 years with two WA76's with no issues. Both sound identical and sound great. I've made occasional adjustments to the VU's to zero out and that's about it.
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by burns46824 View Post
I've noticed compression levels can drift on my WA76s. They sound great, especially with the Revive mods, but it's messed up my sound when tracking before. I'd set compression on a kick drum, for example, to be about 2-3 dB in GR. When we were actually recording, however, I noticed the GR had drifted down to about 0.5 dB. Wasn't as punchy.
When you have the unit modded by Revive, it doesn't seem clear who is responsible for the current function of the unit.
Old 22nd September 2017
JAT
Lives for gear
I just stopped by Warm outside of Austin and talked shop. I agree with what has been said - that the design is excellent, even taking the price point out of the equation, and Bryce has always been great about support. But Eastern quality control has had some issues, although that seems to be getting better - and just not for Warm but in general. I don't know when they started doing it, but WARM has actual paid employees that now open every unit and make sure it is up to spec before shipping it out. They had tables laid out where up to 7 people can check hardware now. QC issues should get fixed before any unit gets shipped out. And anything that does slip through, well, I can't imagine WARM slacking off in post-sell service. That would kinda screw the point of paying for all the in-house QC.

As far as the sound, I, like many others, don't have $1500+ for an 1176 for use at home. So it is not an issue of buying UA or splurging on a refurbished D, it is Warm (or one of the other low cost alternatives) or nothing.
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
When you have the unit modded by Revive, it doesn't seem clear who is responsible for the current function of the unit.
True. It is interesting, though, that Vintage King does not sell Warm Audio productions, despite their overwhelming success and good sound quality. When I asked my VK dealer why, he said they found the quality of their units to be inconsistent.
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

Have had great results from the WA-76 and the pultec clone.

If your expectation is a build quality around the HHB/TLA or Joe Meek stuff of a few years back, but with circuits that are desirable and jensen transformers, then your expectations will be fulfilled.

With the WA76, there is an adjustment slot on the front of the unit to fine tune the VU. It is also my experience that it is possible for people to press the PAD on the back of the unit without being aware of it. $.02

The new production tubes in the Pultec (JJs I think?)...I'm not crazy about, but for the price point I don't expect better. I don't think I had a full set of NOS replacements around, but I did rip out what I could replace and I thought it was a palpable improvement, especially on both extremes of frequency response. But this is something I expect when replacing JJs, which are just not a fav and I also find to be prone to noisiness.

I'd like for the sheet metal to be the next grade up, or the pots to be the next grade up...and I wouldn't MIND the WA76 not having the external PSU thing. That said those complaints also apply to the gear that a lot of companies make.

Last edited by toledo3; 22nd September 2017 at 06:03 PM..
Old 22nd September 2017
Meter calibration issue on my WA-76, sent it back, got it fixed quickly at no charge. Great service.
Old 22nd September 2017
I'll never buy anything from this company again. Nearly every item I've bought (which is all the clones they've come out with up to the WA2A) had serious issues when they arrived. I could excuse this happening once or twice but with every item?
Old 22nd September 2017
Lives for gear

The WA-412 and two WA-2a's here and no issues at all.
Old 22nd October 2017
Here for the gear

I have a pair of TB 12s and have had no problems. I do love them! Great bang for the buck.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search