The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Warm Audio quality issues? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 23rd October 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DbassGroove View Post
One Tb12 and one wa76 no issues here.
+1

They seem well-built (especially the TB12) and I've not had problems with either of them in 3-4 years use.

I'm not wild about Line Lump Power supplies but still - at least if the PS fails it's an easy job to replace it.

Actually I sold the TB12 recently (for no other reason than I simply had 'too many preamps' [if saying such a thing doesn't get me thrown off Gearslutz]), but the WA-76 is definitely staying; I love what this compressor does, especially for the price.
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Nut

Lucky you're not talking about vintage originals, good luck getting those repaired and for less then the cost of a new Warm Audio unit.
Old 8th October 2018
I think people are beginning to see that the emperor has no clothes. Why would anyone buy the Warm 2A clone with the voluminous reports of poor quality control, when the (better sounding) Klark 2A clone is about half the cost of the Warm? I've had both and the Klark blows away the Warm 2A clone soundwise, and I don't have to worry about the reliability of the unit. The Warm 2A clone sounded like an RNC.
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
I think people are beginning to see that the emperor has no clothes. Why would anyone buy the Warm 2A clone with the voluminous reports of poor quality control, when the (better sounding) Klark 2A clone is about half the cost of the Warm? I've had both and the Klark blows away the Warm 2A clone soundwise, and I don't have to worry about the reliability of the unit. The Warm 2A clone sounded like an RNC.
I'm not sure if a handful of anonymous posts on a gear forum proves anything.

Please post some videos of these issues?
Old 8th October 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gas hoarder View Post
I'm not sure if a handful of anonymous posts on a gear forum proves anything.

Please post some videos of these issues?
I wouldn't trust that guy.
He talks junk.
He also plays bluegrass music.
I think that speaks for itself.
Old 8th October 2018
Have you read the posts in this thread alone?? Why would people make up those issues? I'm not an anonymous poster (I'm one of a handful here that use my real name) and yes, I had issues with every single piece of Warm gear I purchased (the mic pres, the compressors, the mics). I didn't keep any of that crap so no, I can't post videos.
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear
In manufacturing, acceptable failure rate is anywhere from 3% to .1%. Even with a decent warranty, a 3% failure would sort of put reports all over the forums making something appear bigger than it really is due to the nature of who frequents audio forums. Warm Audio seems responsive to complaints voiced on forums as they have eliminated the AC adapter on most or all of their gear. Maybe call them and give them a chance to make right whatever the issue might be.
Old 9th October 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle_o_ View Post
Hey don't get me Wrong Sweetwater sent out new mic works great! Got it next day air AND I will be buying more warm audio stuff. I on over a million dollars of studio gear. I buy what sounds great! Not the name. Now if it breaks during my TV episodes or Scoring sessions etc. Then I dont buy.
Getting something DOA does not mean company makes cheap products.
It means the QC is needs some improving. Warm Audio was awesome! I mean they called me right back, next day aired new mic etc with Sweetwater.
My DOA mic is sent back, New mic being used as I type this. We all love our equipment. We all have our favorites. Some feel angry over the fact Warm has actually come out with products that rival and to ME sound better then its competitors. Quality Control is a issue today. Your TV's, Toasters, kids toys all are "Hit N Miss". Some work great others missing parts smoke and catch on fire. That is the price we pay for having every thing made cheap in China.

I am ordering the other mics next week from Warm. The fact the CEO and others called me back on a Sunday night and apologized and assisted me is un-presidented! I mean I on other really expensive gear and I have never been called back on a weekend and next day aired at NO COST TO ME a replacement. Matter of fact the people are arrogant at most of my high end outboard gear companies. AND charge me $500 for just looking at it, then telling me its out of warranty and it will cost $1298.36 plus shipping and it will take 6 weeks. No Joke!
This lesson is that Warm Audio is a NEW company and will be around a long long time. I sure hope they are! I Will be buying 8 of the WA273EQ's soon to replace a side cart. And Their Pultec EQ's. Yes there will be bumps in the road. But when i opened the WA273-EQ with my engineer it was the real deal! Named parts not fakes, all analog, really nice. People talk trash about Warm But I personally know Rupert Neve and most don't know of ALL the problems he went through when he made his first batches of EQ's and I am still replacing failing parts on my original 1073's and portico's etc. Matter of fact my Portico's last about 15 months before they sizzle and need new stuff. Warm is at the price range that everyone can buy the sound of big dollar companies had a monopoly on. Plain and truthful statement ! These trolls and others who feel threatened will criticize Warm. But this amigo is buying allot of it. There is a new Sherif in town called WARM ! I mean i love it. Low noise, mac sounds amazing up there with multi thousand dollar mics! EQ is mounted next to Rupert Neve Portico II Master Buss Processor, and Manley. Chandler and others in another rack.

The pick of my choice is Summit Audio EQP-200A, Neve Portico II Master Buss Processor, Vintech 273, Warm Audio WA273-EQ, Manley Massive Master, and Bricasti Reverb.

I use it AND you hear it on the shows i scored on TV daily etc.

Now besides my multi thousand dollar mic's i will ad the Warm Audio WA47! All the chatter on blogs will not do any justice who tell bad things against warm. I say GO LISTEN TO IT IN PERSON! Try the mic's.
THEN make your judgements. Your ears will not lie! I can only tell you my personal likes, dislikes. BUT I made millions in my life with music in Hollywood and Film. I like the stuff. And have the best of the best to A/B it against. I am so lucky to live in an age where i can buy a $1200 Dual channel EQ that sounds better then my $12,000 dollar EQ! And i dont have to pay $1200 every year or two to repair it or recap it, or replace power supply etc.

Enjoy your equipment. Warm Audio will be getting a Christmas card yearly with Sweetwater the rest of my life. It means SOOOO much in this day and age to have a company actually care about my needs and give customer service, Warm and Sweetwater have done that again. All those who want to know what it sounds like? It sounds Dam Good! Really good! Heavy too, unlike its $10,000 dollar competitors who use digital mixed with Analog!

I find it very difficult to believe that someone who owns 1 million dollars in gear, which implies some of the best sounding and valued gear on earth would buy ANYTHING from Warm Audio.

What would be the purpose? I guess you are so rich that you have nothing better to spend your money on?

Howz about a diamond, ruby and sapphire encrusted U47?
Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear

Have the WA76, the Tonebeast and the EQP since many years. No issues (if we consider the metering on the WA76 a feature that copies the original:-)). Some months ago, the WA76 and the EQP made a 5 feet travel to a wood floor. One on top of the other. No issues.
Old 10th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKMK00 View Post
I find it very difficult to believe that someone who owns 1 million dollars in gear, which implies some of the best sounding and valued gear on earth would buy ANYTHING from Warm Audio.

What would be the purpose? I guess you are so rich that you have nothing better to spend your money on?

Howz about a diamond, ruby and sapphire encrusted U47?
That post was more than a little suspect.
Old 10th October 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
First bull..... post ever was a few days ago. The voice sounds vaguely familiar.
A million dollars in gear but strongly endorses Warm products?
Maybe he’s counting a couple of Ferraris and a vintage Rolls as “gear”. Most stuff in the garage is gear. Air conditioning is gear. The Beatles told us everything fab was gear.
Honestly, I worked at a couple of million dollar facilities, and somebody owned them (or more correctly, was paying on all the loans and the mortgage), so it is remotely possible. Not believable, but remotely possible.
Old 10th October 2018
Here for the gear
so much trolling going on in this and threads like it. I have been around GS for many years and it has changed quite dramatically towards a negative and not as helpful experience. Probably due to the massive influx of peoples and general internetness.
IMO: what happens when Warm audio and companies like Warm do what they do they fundamentally *%$# with the whole concept of Gearslutzs. They radically are bucking a system that has been lopsided in crazy land for so long. The kind of mark ups that high end gear companies employ are perverted and outrageous.GS folks have their identities tied to the amount of overpriced gear and trinkets they own, hence Gearslutz. So companies coming along and making replicas of gear that was always overpriced and selling them for reasonable and rational prices is threatening this whole construct.
Its mechanical engineering , there is no magic fairy dust.
It is amazing to sit back and watch this whole gear paradigm implode.
I use Warm gear and from my experience everything works as smoothly as any of the overpriced gear I have used in the many years I've been involved. It sounds great too. In the end good song writing and technique is going to win out in the recording world.
I've made many records. I've used real versions of everything. I've worked in crazy good studios with genius engineers.
I still love my Warm stuff and smile every time I hit that 76.
my old name on GS was: tree montgomery hence 9 posts
Old 10th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Lol - you mean as suspect as you jumping in on every Warm post and slating them for the last few years?

Many people have and use Warm gear with no issues.
Enjoy your KT gear, pretty much Warm clones anyway
Old 10th October 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
First bull..... post ever was a few days ago. The voice sounds vaguely familiar.
A million dollars in gear but strongly endorses Warm products?
Maybe he’s counting a couple of Ferraris and a vintage Rolls as “gear”. Most stuff in the garage is gear. Air conditioning is gear. The Beatles told us everything fab was gear.
Honestly, I worked at a couple of million dollar facilities, and somebody owned them (or more correctly, was paying on all the loans and the mortgage), so it is remotely possible. Not believable, but remotely possible.
I know a millionaire that drives an everyday car. Asked why, he said he wanted a workhorse not a showhorse.
Gears gear, if it works for someone then it works.
First rule of finance - you don't get rich by wasting money.
Old 10th October 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniff View Post
First rule of finance - you don't get rich by wasting money.
So true, unless you are ultra rich and want to take the 18 year tax free loophole and lose 1 Billion dollars from your pro-folio.
Old 11th October 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
It is especially puzzling how quickly he went from being disgruntled:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwinkle_o_
quality is sketchy.
and newbish:
Quote:
Will the pots get easyer to turn when worked? or is it going to be issue?
And then just one post later, he loves their gear and he is now a hugely successful soundtrack producing millionaire who is personal friends with Rupert Neve. Perhaps the next time they are hanging out, he can ask Rupert his opinion on these companies attempting to clone his famous gear.

I know that on the internet, supposedly "nobody knows you're a dog", but on the other hand, if you post is: "woof! woof! squirrel!" you aren't aren't fooling anybody.

favorite part:
Quote:
That is the price we pay for having every thing made cheap in China.

Old 11th October 2018
Gear Maniac

I have had my WA76 for 2 years. I am overall happy with it, sounds great. However the input knob has gotten scratchy and sometimes cuts out the signal until you find a sweet spot. I am considering the Revive Audio mod. Anybody had experience with this?
These things are mass produced with rather cheap parts. You get what you pay for.
Old 11th October 2018
Deleted User
Bullwinkle_o_ was banned 2 days ago for the constant anti-chinese garbage being posted around the forum... and here we go again
Old 13th October 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj88 View Post
Bullwinkle_o_ was banned 2 days ago for the constant anti-chinese garbage being posted around the forum... and here we go again
Maybe He'll come back as Rocky the Squirrel_o_
Old 13th October 2018
Lives for gear
It’s like 1930s Hollywood, where the same guy in different suits, hats, or haircuts is the villain in 35 different films. “But now he speaks as a gear millionaire!” Why don’t we all believe him?
It is the nonbelievers who make magic tricks fail. This is our fault.
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Head

Wow!My Sweetwater rep even warned me about the build quality of the wa 173....I don't know if he was right, but he said that they were hand built in china....I do want one but Im sketchy as well.
Old 8th November 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushman View Post
It’s like 1930s Hollywood, where the same guy in different suits, hats, or haircuts is the villain in 35 different films. “But now he speaks as a gear millionaire!” Why don’t we all believe him?
It is the nonbelievers who make magic tricks fail. This is our fault.
If it was totally on me, Tinker Bell would be dead.
Old 8th November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
If it was totally on me, Tinker Bell would be dead.
She’s probably been dead for years. There was so much fairy dust in Hollywood in the 70s and 80s that most of the Disney characters overdosed. It was like the Peter Frampton “Sargent Pepper” film, except with cartoons. Sad times...
Old 25th November 2018
Gear Nut

I ordered a pair of consecutive serial number Pultecs to use on the mix bus and paid extra shipping to get them here for the holiday weekend. Turns out, one doesn't work right (the boost for the mid frequencies doesn't work). Since I bought the pair to use in stereo, I can't use either of them until I sort this out.

This was my first Warm Audio purchase - have a ton of Stam gear and got tired of the wait times. Stam takes forever, but I haven't received a bum unit like I did with the Warm Audios.
Old 25th November 2018
Lives for gear
I've got a Tonebeast and WA76 compressor for 2 years now maybe?....No issues yet....moon
Old 26th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstonefan View Post
I ordered a pair of consecutive serial number Pultecs to use on the mix bus and paid extra shipping to get them here for the holiday weekend. Turns out, one doesn't work right (the boost for the mid frequencies doesn't work). Since I bought the pair to use in stereo, I can't use either of them until I sort this out.

This was my first Warm Audio purchase - have a ton of Stam gear and got tired of the wait times. Stam takes forever, but I haven't received a bum unit like I did with the Warm Audios.
I believe even Behringer beats WARM by a significant degree when it comes to reliability and quality control. Won't buy anything from WARM again.
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Nut

Quote:
I believe even Behringer beats WARM by a significant degree when it comes to reliability and quality control. Won't buy anything from WARM again.
I submitted a ticket to Warm and heard back within 30 minutes. I opened it up and re-seated every connection (nothing looked loose) and it seems to be working oK now...
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstonefan View Post
I submitted a ticket to Warm and heard back within 30 minutes. I opened it up and re-seated every connection (nothing looked loose) and it seems to be working oK now...
Sounds like great service, glad you got it sorted. Been using Warm stuff for years, no issues with any of it.
Old 26th November 2018
Gear Addict

Had a DOA WA87 - seemed like it wouldn’t take phantom power for some reason - would turn on for a few seconds and then start sputtering out. Have always found good dealers get things fixed faster than the manufacturer when things ARRIVE broken.

Ymmv
Old 26th November 2018
I've had more annoyances and/or problems with hardware from 'more respectable' companies than my Warm hardware...

AMS Neve - Have a pair of 1073LBs and one of them is off about -.5dB at its dented unity trim
BAE - 1073MP has a terrible ground hum in one channel regardless of where it's positioned, isolated or even moved from home to home
Rupert Neve Designs - Have a pair of 542s and one of them saturates earlier at identical, level-matched settings
Rupert Neve Designs - R6 lunchbox has a nasty power supply whine even at its lowest power levels of 100mA
API - I've gone through more 2520 opamps with a 2500 and a pair of 550Bs and 550As than I can even count so now just use SL Red Dots
Thermionic - Ridiculously cheap paint jobs that smudge and scratch just by being wiped down / dusted with a microfiber cloth
Burl - My B32 mix bus's right channel only passes a signal with the +6dB switch engaged

All this is to say that while I haven't had any issues with my Warm gear (so far...?) I'm not the least bit surprised that others have run into issues. Maybe I just have **** luck but I think it's more likely just par for the course with hardware
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search