The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fender P bass
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

I got lucky. I got one before the mad rush. heh

Actually this thread got me thinking, I have probably had my P-Bass longer than anything else I own. Bought it about 1970. Used. It is mid to late 60's.

Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
Well many agree with me since many builders won't use birdseye or
similar mutant woods

I take it you play a gtr with birdseye. That's cool
I bet its a tele too
I actually don't like the visual effect of birdseye and I don't like paying a premium for it.
There is a spalt top strat - spalt being maple that is dead/dying- really nice effect but a bitch to finish.

I have various guitars with flame maple necks or tops- mostly tele's and a PRS.
Building another humbucking strat this week from ebay bits.

For anyone interested in guitar/bass building and the real costs of building an instrument have a look here:

http://www.edromanguitars.com/guitar/home_prs.htm
This stuff applies to a lot of guitar builders in the current market.

Last edited by octatonic; 24th January 2007 at 05:01 AM.. Reason: for guitar building ethics stuff
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

I had a Musicman Stingray with a birdseye maple neck and it sounded and looked great. The best thing about the P-bass is that it sticks out live or in a mix really easily. I personally don't like using a P-bass sound for me, but I like a lot of bass players who do play them. Steve Harris, Rocco Prestia, Duck Dunn...probably a lot more I can't think of.

I find that your hand/finger size & technique play a lot in the tone. I can sit down at a bass that I just heard somebody else sound awesome on and I can hate it.
cameron
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Maniac

What do you all think about the Lakland skyline precision bass?
Old 24th January 2007
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
I had a Musicman Stingray with a birdseye maple neck and it sounded and looked great. The best thing about the P-bass is that it sticks out live or in a mix really easily. I personally don't like using a P-bass sound for me, but I like a lot of bass players who do play them. Steve Harris, Rocco Prestia, Duck Dunn...probably a lot more I can't think of.

I find that your hand/finger size & technique play a lot in the tone. I can sit down at a bass that I just heard somebody else sound awesome on and I can hate it.
cameron
James Jamerson. too.

I know Bob Ohlson wrote here once that he actually hated it, and thats why the strings were never changed, but who cares if he himself liked it or not?. It worked so well, that he put a tone and sound out there thats been a goal for many since.

I love all the funk-players who use P-basses. They arent exactly the easiest playing instruments imo..

Thats a lovely specimen [email protected] great. I dont know much of the history of the instruments, so I gotta ask. Is that bridge pick-up original? Ive got a late 70 P-bass myself, so not nearly as old as yours....

Gustav
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
My mom died when I was 2. So somehow I doubt it.

Man your so original u can't even think of something
that would offend me

your weak

You misspelled "you're"
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstel View Post
Thanks for all your answers!!

Today I've checked a couple of Fender's and laklands. The Laklands seem to sound a bit brighter and more hifi.

I've also played a couple of second hand Fender's, (78 and 79), and both seem to have a bit more soul and growl than the newer models. However, they both had some dead spots which make them quite unusable for recording.

The result is that I'm still not sure what would be the best deal for me... I've never came across that particular Ibanez bass..

Is anyone using the new USA standard series?

Thanks,

Amstel
Amstel,

Here are my thoughts... The American Standard and the Standard are just about the same, just made in different plants. The electronics I have heard are different too.

If you love the sound of the 70's p-Basses my suggestion is to find a good playing standard or american standard fender then put in new electronics. I love the Dimarzio's I have in one of my P's and they sound wicked old with a lot of character.

I personally do not think that the current fender pick up choices on their entry level basses are very powerful or have much of the old character. I love the wood and craftsmenship (of the US and MEX basses) but just not the electronics.

Another pretty standard upgrade to 70's basses is a Leo Quan Baddass Bridge. It is a real winner.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post
James Jamerson. too.

I know Bob Ohlson wrote here once that he actually hated it, and thats why the strings were never changed, but who cares if he himself liked it or not?. It worked so well, that he put a tone and sound out there thats been a goal for many since.

I love all the funk-players who use P-basses. They arent exactly the easiest playing instruments imo..

Thats a lovely specimen [email protected] great. I dont know much of the history of the instruments, so I gotta ask. Is that bridge pick-up original? Ive got a late 70 P-bass myself, so not nearly as old as yours....

Gustav
No. I was young and foolish and added that 20 some years ago. I don't even use the the bridge pick up much, but it does make some interesting tones.
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Maniac

All right, I ended up with a Fender '78 precision. Nice warm tones and lot's of character!! I've tried several Laklands, Sadowsky's, Music Man and Ibanez basses, but the old Fender's are just something special.

Thank you all for your advice!

Amstel
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
You misspelled "you're"
Thanks for pointing that out Bub

I wonder what is worse, my lack of knowlege
of the English language or YOUR lack
of knowlege of guitars?
Old 29th January 2007
Village Idiot

Quote:

of knowlege of guitars?
Knowledge..

Gustav
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

of knowlege of guitars?

Oh yes, your "knowledge" of guitars can be summed as "fenders sucks" if I remember. Which is okay if you are 13 years old spotty metalhead. Are you?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

of knowlege of guitars?

Oh, look, Allen wants to have a pissing contest! This should be fun. Umm, let's see if I can frame an appropriate response to the above... how about

"Dude, you are *so* dead after 7th period, I'd better not catch you in the playground!"
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Oh, look, Allen wants to have a pissing contest! This should be fun. Umm, let's see if I can frame an appropriate response to the above... how about

"Dude, you are *so* dead after 7th period, I'd better not catch you in the playground!"

Hehe...
Old 29th January 2007
Gear Nut

yeah, i've got a Stingray with Birds-Eye Maple neck, and it sounds very very nice. no neck problems whatsoever.

Camerondye, you didn't trade yours for a guitar in Nashville, did you?
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

Jeez that's pretty Rob!
Old 4th February 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
My mom died when I was 2. So somehow I doubt it.

Man your so original u can't even think of something
that would offend me

your weak

Now I am seeing were some of your anger and bitterness is coming from. Have you considered therapy?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search