The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Fender P bass
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Actually on Sweetwater the Standard American Made P-Bass is $999.00. So, my bad on the earlier quot of $500.
Anyway, Even at twice that price, in the long run you can't go wrong with a well made great sounding P-Bass.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've also played a couple of second hand Fender's, (78 and 79), and both seem to have a bit more soul and growl than the newer models.
I think the 62RI KILLS all other modern Fenders as far as TONE...now...it has major neck issues (no reenforcement, very wide, etc)...I would personally check into the 60th anniversary model. It supposedly has the AmStd reenforced neck w/ the 62RI's custom shop PU--which isn't commercially available by itself.

If I were in the market today, I'd look squarely at that...

The issue I had with Lakland is that I didn't like their OTHER Skyline basses at all...and no where had a Glaub to try. I know someone who has one and LOVES it. With Lindy Fralin on board...I'd love to try one. Good luck with that.

Whatever you do...don't get a Fender active bass.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
But seriously Birdseys maple can cause weird vibrations. why take a chance

Hmm, maybe it's those "weird vibrations" that makes my mid-'80's Schecter B/4 with the bird's eye maple neck the BEST SOUNDING BASS ON THE FREAKIN' PLANET.

If I thought for a nanosecond that any one parameter determined the tone of a stringed instrument, I'd "take a chance" on bird'seye maple necks every single time.
Old 22nd January 2007
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp2u View Post
Yeah, I've seen those Shoreline's... it seems after shipping and stuff that they aren't all that much cheaper than the US models, so might as well get the US version.

I guess they've always offered the P/J config for the US Glaub as an option but they are coming out with a production P/J Skyline version too in the not-too-distant future.
---
c
I wouldn't hold your breathe. Dan seems to think they wouldn't sell because the US versions are not selling. I politely explained to him that the reason is $3000 is simply WAY too much for a bass guitar. If they were like $1200 list (which in my opinion is what they are truly worth) they would sell like hotcakes! I don't know what kind of idiot marketing classes they are offering in Chicago but selling 10 @ 1200 is much more profitable than selling a big fat zero @ 3000. <sigh>
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
I don't know what kind of idiot marketing classes they are offering in Chicago but selling 10 @ 1200 is much more profitable than selling a big fat zero @ 3000. <sigh>
Not if they cost you $1500 to make!

But seriously, I agree with you - once you get over a certain price point (maybe $1500 or so) instrument buyers get very picky, and they have a right to. As people have noted in this thread, there's a wide range of very nice basses available for somewhere between $500 and $1500; above that and you start getting into the "wine tasting" end of the market, where people want something really special that will hold its value.
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstel View Post
I've also played a couple of second hand Fender's, (78 and 79), and both seem to have a bit more soul and growl than the newer models. However, they both had some dead spots which make them quite unusable for recording.
Sounds like a Fender to me. I love the growl. thumbsup

As far as the dead spots.. Set em up, then beat em up..
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by opium89 View Post
I wouldn't hold your breathe. Dan seems to think they wouldn't sell because the US versions are not selling.
You might be right. My exchange with Dan was almost 10 months ago to the day... though he did say "My guess" is that it would probably be a year for the Skyline version.

$3k might be too much for some, but there seems to be a whole whack of people that have no prob dropping $3-5k on Sadowsky's, Cellinder's and other boutique Fender clones.
---
c
Old 22nd January 2007
GOD
Gear Nut

I've got two P'basses, a 73 and a 75. They are both used in the studio, though on occasion, I've been known to use a Ricki, I've always loved the tone, warmth and playability of my fenders. Just my oppinion. Always go back to them
Old 22nd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Hmm, maybe it's those "weird vibrations" that makes my mid-'80's Schecter B/4 with the bird's eye maple neck the BEST SOUNDING BASS ON THE FREAKIN' PLANET.

If I thought for a nanosecond that any one parameter determined the tone of a stringed instrument, I'd "take a chance" on bird'seye maple necks every single time.
Well that it explains it. You have one.
So therefore it has to be great !!!
You spent your hard earned paper route $$$ on it Right?
Old 23rd January 2007
D K
Lives for gear

700.00 will get you into a Fender Artist Geddy Lee model

Check Talkbass and you will find a lot of love for them - Sounds great - very versatile and I beleive the CIJ stuff is equal to or better than the MIA stuff
Old 23rd January 2007
The Getty Lee is nice. Just to be clear, it's a Jazz (unless there's a P I don't know about). Great neck (on the small side).
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry James I forgot your not only a great producer, sound 'DESIGNER'
and 'Inovative' Guitar Player you must also be a Botonist

Damn your a talent

But seriously Birdseys maple can cause weird vibrations. why take a chance
Not a botanist- but I have worked as guitar tech/repairer and it helps to know at least a bit about the science behind things.

'Weird vibrations?'.
How scientific.

Well, a lot of guitar builders seem to disagree with you.
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict

Any thoughts on the Fender Aerodyne basses as a studio bass.

They're passive with a P/J setup so lots of versatility as my only bass in the studio.

A friend is selling one cheap - upgraded with Bartolini's.

Just worried about the quality of the wood. Seems quite lite - but plays really nice (from my limited playing point of view).

Cheers
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Can someone tell me what the difference is between 'solid alder or ash body', considering the timbre?

Amstel
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Maniac

Someone??
Old 23rd January 2007
I've found that a "well chosen" $350 Mexican Fender can compete with the most expensive and vintage basses out their. Guitar making is down to a science and with all the computer modeling, etc. quality control is much more consistent.

FWIW, I had a bass player come to a session with a vintage jazz '65 and some other active high end bass and my mexican fender sounded better than both and the bass player thought so too, and used my cheap bass for the whole session.

And I also love my $350 japanese strat, just as good as my '57 sunburst, but not quite as heavy.

Bob
Old 23rd January 2007
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCtoDaylight View Post
Not if they cost you $1500 to make!

But seriously, I agree with you - once you get over a certain price point (maybe $1500 or so) instrument buyers get very picky, and they have a right to. As people have noted in this thread, there's a wide range of very nice basses available for somewhere between $500 and $1500; above that and you start getting into the "wine tasting" end of the market, where people want something really special that will hold its value.
I just can't imagine it. If companies such as G&L and MusicMan can hand make their basses with relatively the same quality woods, etc and MSRP them for around $1500 then Lakland is either doing something seriously wrong or is simply being greedy. Don't get me wrong, I love (and own) Lakland basses, but I own Skylines and could never justify a US model. Funny thing too, I've played the US models and I can not find any significant differences regarding playability or sound.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well that it explains it. You have one.
So therefore it has to be great !!!
You spent your hard earned paper route $$$ on it Right?
Naw, it was the money I got from your mom, for....
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know the difference of ash or the alder body, but I definitely wouldn't buy a bass or guitar online. I think it is very very important to feel it and play it before you buy it. You can have 2 basses that are the same model and everything and they will feel different. I also prefer used equipment because it is already broken in and wonderful.
I own an Alembic essence bass and it has one of the chunkiest P-Bass sounds I've ever heard. The electronics are amazingly quiet too. I found mine used for around $1300. If I were you, I would check out G&L also. It seems that they are more souped up Fenders. I also second or fourth or fifth the buying of the Geddy Lee Fender. It is consistently the best feeling jazz bass I've played. I think that the Mexican/Chinese basses are more consistent, and the USA's have more of the differences. That is just an opinion though, no backing.
I would look for some used items at the local stores, it will be broken in, you will get more for your money, and it will feel like it's supposed to. Try everything, you never know when something will just feel right.
Cameron
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Funny thing too, I've played the US models and I can not find any significant differences regarding playability or sound.
If we assume they're EXACTLY the same (big assumption)....you're missing the point--they weren't made here.

If manufacturing in your own country is "doing something wrong"...then, I'd say there's a bigger issue here.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

The best precision bass is the vintage '57 precision bass.Especially the pre-'82 one.All others are halfway there.
Old 23rd January 2007
WDG
Gear Head

Ash is a much harder wood then Alder and alder wieghs less too. Ash in current fenders is quite heavy. I picked up some Tele's at guitar center the other day and was amazed at the wieght. It seems from this that they are useing northern Ash compared to Swamp Ash. Heavier wood was also used in the 70's

Also Alder is simular to basswood and sometimes it is used instead of Alder. Some companys actualy say it is basswood aka Ibanez and some dont.

Some one also said that some of the current P-bass's don't have any neck reinforcement. I find that hard to beilieve. You neck would be shaped like a banana without somesort of reinforcement. Maybe it's non adjustible like older Martins.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Apparently recently (the past year?) the mexican plant got upgraded to the state-of-the-art equipment ... same stuff as the USA plant ... and quality has gone way up as a result (-;

js.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmaus View Post
I've found that a "well chosen" $350 Mexican Fender can compete with the most expensive and vintage basses out their. Guitar making is down to a science and with all the computer modeling, etc. quality control is much more consistent.

FWIW, I had a bass player come to a session with a vintage jazz '65 and some other active high end bass and my mexican fender sounded better than both and the bass player thought so too, and used my cheap bass for the whole session.

And I also love my $350 japanese strat, just as good as my '57 sunburst, but not quite as heavy.

Bob
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

The 50's mexi made pbass I just bought is pretty much spec'd on the '57.
Couldn't be happier ... one of my best purchases ever !!

js.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haryy View Post
The best precision bass is the vintage '57 precision bass.Especially the pre-'82 one.All others are halfway there.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Some one also said that some of the current P-bass's don't have any neck reinforcement.
that was me...specific to the 62RI--and I should clarify-no MODERN reinforcement.

My tech says the originals didn't, but their necks thicker/deeper, so the wood held without graphite rods. the new ones they've made it pretty thin, so they bow.

MOST modern P's DO have reinforcement. thus my suggestion to look at the 60th anniversary--same electronics as the 62RI, with a narrower, but reinforced neck.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Apparently recently (the past year?) the mexican plant got upgraded to the state-of-the-art equipment ... same stuff as the USA plant ... and quality has gone way up as a result (-;
Interesting about the Mexi factory upgrade, but I'm not entirely sure it's the process that needs upgrading. I had a mexi strat a few years ago and the rosewood on the neck got funky real quick, as well as the frets wearing much faster than any other guitar i've owned. I think it's actually more of an issue regarding the quality of materials used... they cut corners everywhere they to make more money on those things while making them available "cheaper".

Quote:
MOST modern P's DO have reinforcement. thus my suggestion to look at the 60th anniversary--same electronics as the 62RI, with a narrower, but reinforced neck.
Thinking the necks these days need to be re-enforced since the woods used in production are probably much "younger" and less stable than those a few decades ago.
---
c
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaii82 View Post
Well Well Well.

Found a Ibanez 80's Blazer bass (not the roadster)...
got 2 here and It's sounds wonderfull, I havec compare to some 70's Pbass and I can told you, the Ibanez got the balls
I used to own an old Ibanez Musician bass (the kind like Sting used to use) that I quite liked. I think overall though I still prefer the sound of a good Fender Jazz or P bass.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew View Post
I used to own an old Ibanez Musician bass (the kind like Sting used to use) that I quite liked. I think overall though I still prefer the sound of a good Fender Jazz or P bass.
I used to own one too and I can echo that. I gave mine to this guy on kind of a permanent loan, I suppose I could get it back any time I wanted to.

I prefer a good P bass and/or a Rick myself.
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richmondjames View Post
Not a botanist- but I have worked as guitar tech/repairer and it helps to know at least a bit about the science behind things.

'Weird vibrations?'.
How scientific.

Well, a lot of guitar builders seem to disagree with you.
Well many agree with me since many builders won't use birdseye or
similar mutant woods

I take it you play a gtr with birdseye. That's cool
I bet its a tele too
Old 23rd January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
Naw, it was the money I got from your mom, for....
My mom died when I was 2. So somehow I doubt it.

Man your so original u can't even think of something
that would offend me

your weak

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search