The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HR824s, ya'll weren't lying!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

HR824s, ya'll weren't lying!

Finally got a chance to hear a pair of these bad boys in action. Sounded GREAT!

I'm primarily a hip hop guy, and for the price I don't know how you can beat these monitors
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

When I first started using them, I hated them. I would tell anyone who would listen that prefered my Tannoys and Yamahas over them any day. As time went on, they became the head engineers' favorite monitors and he disconnected the other monitors from the A room and mixed only on the HR824s. After that, I was forced to use them every time I was booked in the A room. I bitched and moaned about having to use them but after about 3 weeks, I even asked for a pair in the B room. I never got them and I am fine with the Tannoys and Yamahas but the Mackies are a damn fine pair of monitors. I still work in the A room a lot and I would be mad if they got new monitors. The low mids in these speakers seem like they take a while to get used to and because of that, I see a lot of Hip Hpo and dance oriented people shy away from them but I'm sure you just made a purchase that you will be happy with for quite some time. There are a lot of people in this forum that will tell you otherwise but I figure that they just haven't spent any serious time with them.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Work great if they are set up properly
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djui5 View Post
Work great if they are set up properly
can you clarify?
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Eh... differ. Mackies lie... while smiling to you!

I owned a pair for a LONG time and I finally sold them (I own NS-10s and Barefoot MM27s).

While the Mackies were often impressive to listen to, they were not accurate or responsible to mix on... there was a HIGH degree of having to compensate your mixes in order for your music to sound good on anything other than Mackies.

If you didn't know what to compensate for, you could be very happy listeing to your mix in a studio and HORRIFIED when you heard it in the real world.

Had to kill 'em

Barefoot MM27s are ALL that, more and most importiantly they tell you the truth at the same time.

Sorry to differ.

They may be a decent show-off piece, but in my opinion, do more damage than good. Want to impress a cient, play their mix on Barefoots!

-a
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

How much do the Barefoots run? just out of curiousity...
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrif08 View Post
How much do the Barefoots run? just out of curiousity...
Uhhh.... a bit more than the Mackies ...$6k. Ok ok ok. I know.

-a
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have a pair of HR824s, and I think that I've never gotten them set up correctly. The low end of my mixes always surprises me when I hear it on other monitors or consumer audio systems. Sometimes too much and sometimes not enough. (!) I have thought about getting the Mackie sub to see if that would fix things, but I'm afraid it might be throwing good money after bad.

*sigh*

-synthoid
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
I have a pair of HR824s, and I think that I've never gotten them set up correctly. The low end of my mixes always surprises me when I hear it on other monitors or consumer audio systems. Sometimes too much and sometimes not enough. (!) I have thought about getting the Mackie sub to see if that would fix things, but I'm afraid it might be throwing good money after bad.

*sigh*

-synthoid
A sub will not help because the problem is your room and lack of bass traps. Mackie 824s are flat to below 40 Hz, so that really isn't the problem and a sub will not help. In fact, adding a sub will probably make things even worse.

--Ethan
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrif08 View Post
can you clarify?
Switches on the back, set for the room and position they're in
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

My room is loaded with bass traps from your company, Ethan.

I dunno, I still say there's something fishy about these speakers in the low end. they are deceiving below 100Hz or so. IMO.

-synthoid
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear
I admit that I have a good bit of hearing damage but you guys are really about to convince me that I just need to throw in the towel. I have mixed on 4311's and NS10's but I currently have a pair of American made 824's that I have had for about 2 1/2 years. Maybe I just got lucky with my setup but I have never used any other monitors that translated to any other system as well as these puppys. On a boombox, amazing. JBL LS towers, fabulous. Little Realistic aluminum boxes, well it's like so big and airy there aren't even any speakers there. And best of all, when played on my wifes XG350 sound system, I get goose bumps. Weirdest thing of all is I can play just about any recording from the 60's 70's and 80's and I hear all kinds of garbage that I had never heard before. But YMMV. I must be missing something.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:

I dunno, I still say there's something fishy about these speakers in the low end. they are deceiving below 100Hz or so. IMO.

-synthoid

mmmmmm that is strange.. Can you post a layout of your room and where you have the bass traps? I have a feeling that either you are not set up right in the room and or you don't have the bass traps in the best spot.

Just a thought.

Glenn
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

-synthoid

Try to set the high pass to 45hz (or whatever it is). It helps a lot. Also make sure the position switch is set properly.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru
Mackie gets slammed a lot here. But, like most Mackie stuff, the 824s are a great product when compared to anything anywhere near their price point. I think they're the best monitors under $3k per pair. And they're well under $3k. They don't sound as good as the $6k Barefoots? I haven't heard the Barefoots, but that's not really a fair comparison.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
Mackie gets slammed a lot here. But, like most Mackie stuff, the 824s are a great product when compared to anything anywhere near their price point. I think they're the best monitors under $3k per pair. And they're well under $3k. They don't sound as good as the $6k Barefoots? I haven't heard the Barefoots, but that's not really a fair comparison.
BEST under 3k? Your joking right?
I wouldnt say they are garbage but someone here mentioned a serious lack of translation...that would sum it up fer me. I do HipHop mainly as well heres a short list of monitors that will run circles around mackie fer under 3k: Tannoy (DMT series and a sub IS HIPHOP), BlueSky, ADAM, Genelec, Yamaha, ProAc, DynaAudio, quested, JBL...
Id even pick KRK before Id pick Mackie.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

It's not the monitors. Everyone has different ears, and what works for you won't work for everyone else all the time, so we have our preferences. I'd rather work on the 824s than the 1031s any day, this is not true for all Engineers. We all hear differently, so you have to find a monitor that works for you. It's why saying a monitor sucks is kinda stupid. It may just suck for you, but it might be a God send to someone else.
Personally I think the S3A's were sent from Heaven, not everyone will agree.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
BEST under 3k? Your joking right?
I wouldnt say they are garbage but someone here mentioned a serious lack of translation...that would sum it up fer me. I do HipHop mainly as well heres a short list of monitors that will run circles around mackie fer under 3k: Tannoy (DMT series and a sub IS HIPHOP), BlueSky, ADAM, Genelec, Yamaha, ProAc, DynaAudio, quested, JBL...
YMMV, as always.heh I've heard most of that list, and I'd take the Mackies.

What does Pro-Ac make in that price range? I've always loved their speakers.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
I owned a pair for a LONG time and I finally sold them (I own NS-10s and Barefoot MM27s).

While the Mackies were often impressive to listen to, they were not accurate or responsible to mix on... there was a HIGH degree of having to compensate your mixes in order for your music to sound good on anything other than Mackies.

If you didn't know what to compensate for, you could be very happy listeing to your mix in a studio and HORRIFIED when you heard it in the real world.

Further proof of the YMMV axiom, I guess.

As with any monitor in any control room, until you know what you're hearing you shouldn't trust anything...but learning what you're hearing with Mackie's isn't any harder & doesn't require any more extensive a stretch of the imagination than learning to mix on Genelec's, or JBL's, or Tannoy's, etc.

I've used HR824's in a dozen or so different studios over the years, and I've had a pair in my own project studio since 1998. I also own monitors by Tannoy and Truth Audio, and the degree of trust (i.e., the lack of surprises) is similar. I don't find that the "compensations" I make are so grotesque that it screws up my perception of what I'm hearing, and I've never found stuff to translate so poorly to other systems that it required major second-guessing or re-doing. I've definitely never been HORRIFIED, or even moderately surprised, about how a mix sounded when I played it back on a different system or a different room.

I have however been HORRIFIED at how some monitors (both Mackie's and many other well respected brands) sounded in a poorly treated control room.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
heres a short list of monitors that will run circles around mackie fer under 3k: Tannoy (DMT series and a sub IS HIPHOP), BlueSky, ADAM, Genelec, Yamaha, ProAc, DynaAudio, quested, JBL...
I'd add SLS to the list. We just replaced our 824's with these (they are are very comparable to the mackies, price-wise) and I'm floored by the difference. But I've gushed elsewhere on this forum... suffice to say they deserve consideration.

But none of this is what a guy who just bought 824's wants to hear!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
-a
Wow. I truly am suprised. I feel like the mackies are just the opposite. I would never describe the Mackies as "impressive to listen to." I think that the mids on these speakers really makes things that arn't mixed well stand out and they dont give that "pleasing to listen to but inaccuate to mix on" low end that a lot of speakers (including my beloved Tannoys) have.

Quote:
-a
Yeah...but thats why people hate to mix on monitors they arn't used to. You could say the same thing for just about any other monitor in the world and of course there's the room to consider. Even your BareFoots (I would love to try a pair) are going to sound like crap in a square room with plaster walls and tiled floors.

It's always fun to get other peoples opinions on these things.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well, in THAT case... heh

Nevermind!

--Ethan
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:

*sigh*

-synthoid
i use em religiously with a sub (18" quested).

billy decker
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
YMMV, as always.heh I've heard most of that list, and I'd take the Mackies.

What does Pro-Ac make in that price range? I've always loved their speakers.
http://www.vintageking.com/Shop-New-...tudio-100-Pair

To be fair, I havent heard these particular ProAc monitors but the company is reputable with the quality. Tho I have used the Mackies and at least one pair of monitors from each companies in the list I posted. Im not a big fan of Mackies or bandwagons....but ultimately it is the ear and not the gear
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Improv View Post
I'd add SLS to the list. We just replaced our 824's with these (they are are very comparable to the mackies, price-wise) and I'm floored by the difference. But I've gushed elsewhere on this forum... suffice to say they deserve consideration.

But none of this is what a guy who just bought 824's wants to hear!
Thats a GREAT avatar!
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Not true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makinithappen View Post

Yeah...but thats why people hate to mix on monitors they arn't used to. You could say the same thing for just about any other monitor in the world and of course there's the room to consider. Even your BareFoots (I would love to try a pair) are going to sound like crap in a square room with plaster walls and tiled floors.

It's always fun to get other peoples opinions on these things.
There is a level of detail in the Barefoots that I've NEVER heard on the Mackies. It's not just about translation, it is also about really hearing what is going on in a mix.

Ever turn in a mix that sounded good and then at mastering hear things that you'd never heard before?

The Barefoots get rid of that problem. You can hear ALL the details!

And as for comparing one price to another... sorry, it's just not a case of, "Well, this is good considering it was only mixed on Mackies..." No one evaluates a mix based on a sliding scale.

Yes, you can make great music with all kinds of equipment, but in my opinion, and that's all it is, I'd rather hear the truth... and no matter how you slice it, the Mackies are NOT giving you the sonic truth.

Maybe you like them. Maybe you can mix on them. Personally I'd rather spend time focusing on NOT guessing or "getting used to" and use it to make a mix better.

Maybe just me. Yes I mixed entire records on the Mackies, so this is not a case of me justifying, hell, I'd rather have NOT spent more money, but in the end, I had the choice and the Mackies didn't make the cut.

-a
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

i have mackie 824 and the hrs-150 sub ...
they are imressive, good price/quality, reliable, etc ...
BUT they don't give you the truth ...

i'll be replacing mine soon with focal twin6 or genelec 1030

grtz,

wim
Old 20th January 2007
Here for the gear

I have some 824s, I think they sound too good, and that's probably their problem.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

I own the HR824's and fought and fought to get a good mix. I used to think that the monitors were the problem. Then I started learning about proper acoustic treatments. I added one dozed 4'x2' OC703 panels in my room... WOW. My mixes started coming together. Now that I have my room treated, I can now learn how to mix! Anyone complaining about the HR824 should look at their room rather than the speakers, IMO.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

i've done measurments in my fully treated controlroom with genelec 1038 and mackie 824 ....
almost hilarious ....

wim

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search