The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HR824s, ya'll weren't lying!
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Head

Dumping my 824's and getting the ADAM S3A's was the smartest thing I have ever done. Much more expensive, but worth every penny! Finally, my mixes translate to other systems. I will never miss the 824's.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTinPanAll View Post
i've done measurments in my fully treated controlroom with genelec 1038 and mackie 824 ....
almost hilarious ....

wim
Can you say more about what you measured and what you found?

Thx,

-synthoid
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthoid View Post
I have a pair of HR824s, and I think that I've never gotten them set up correctly. The low end of my mixes always surprises me when I hear it on other monitors or consumer audio systems. Sometimes too much and sometimes not enough. (!) I have thought about getting the Mackie sub to see if that would fix things, but I'm afraid it might be throwing good money after bad.

*sigh*

-synthoid
In reply to the above post and that of Ethan, in my personal opinion the problem with the Mackie's is the inclusion of the ABR system. The benefit is that it is able to extend the bass from what is other wise a small cabinet, but that bass isn't phase cohesive therefore dependent on its postion relative to rear walls/corners or other refelective surfaces, it is going to be really room reative, even if the room is properly treated. For this reason alone it rules it out as a monitor for me, coupled with the fact that although it has a relatively flat response the treble driver is somewhat "fizzy" sounding which I find fatiguing to listen too. In the sub £1600.00 price range there are several competitive monitors from PMC, Dynaudio, JBL, etc that I would think were more workable, add another £1,000 to that you have a lot of choices.

Regards

Roland
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

mackie's :

steep fall at 50 hz (40 is 30db less) NOT 3 db ...
boost at 80
steep cut at 100 (almost 10db)
hyped from 200 to 400 hz
peaks at 800 and 1 khz
big cut from 8 to 12 khz (just over 5db)

it's not the room, the genelec 1038 show an almost perfect response

genelec's :

little bumps at 100, 180, 350, 600, 900, 1.2K
small dip 70, 120, 8K

the difference is really big, we worked on placement,
tried all switches at the back of the mackie (rest was even worse)
the genelec's are sooooo much better

last week i had an engineer who brought his genelec 1030
(much smaller than the mackie but much much better !!)

maybe my room likes genelec ...

i was actually pretty happy with the mackie until i got the 1038's
and i'll be getting 1030's as soon as i can pay'em.

grtz,

wim
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioTinPanAll View Post
i've done measurments in my fully treated controlroom with genelec 1038 and mackie 824 ....
almost hilarious ....

wim
A critical factor in the equation for me is price. You're comparing some monitors that can be had, used, for around $800 a pair to a $7500 speaker...

they better sound superior to the mackies considering a pair of those could be a down payment on a house...
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

I agree

The Mackies can sound "nice" in a hyped sorta way but for translation outside your own space - they are WAY off the mark

had em.. THOUGHT I loved em. THOUGHT my mixes were great.

Then I heard my mixes elsewhere dfegad

Other spks in the same room didnt give me those same transaltion problems

Mackies are now history
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danocaster View Post
I agree

The Mackies can sound "nice" in a hyped sorta way but for translation outside your own space - they are WAY off the mark

had em.. THOUGHT I loved em. THOUGHT my mixes were great.

Then I heard my mixes elsewhere dfegad

Other spks in the same room didnt give me those same transaltion problems

Mackies are now history
So what else in the price range? I need something with some low end...
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrif08 View Post
So what else in the price range? I need something with some low end...
If you're mixing jazz/rock/pop then take a look at Dynaudio BM15A. If you want a liitle more clarity, then the BM6A with a sub sound pretty good.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
If you're mixing jazz/rock/pop then take a look at Dynaudio BM15A. If you want a liitle more clarity, then the BM6A with a sub sound pretty good.
mixing mostly hip hop, funk, reggae, a little rock here and there...
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
mixing mostly hip hop, funk, reggae, a little rock here and there...
Then difinately have a listen to the BM15As. New they're about 2500. There's also a pair of BM6As in classifieds for dirt cheap.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don S View Post
Then difinately have a listen to the BM15As. New they're about 2500. There's also a pair of BM6As in classifieds for dirt cheap.
2500 I can't do right now. I'd love to, but its just plain out of my price range at the moment. I'll look into 'em though, maybe I can score some used ones at some point.

Thanks for the thoughts
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

Another vote against the mackies, my mixes doesnt sound really bad outside but they sure doesnt sound like in my studio, now Im thinking in buying jbl lsr6328p or adams 2.5a

Theres also a lower series from jbl from around 1400.00 that have room correction mode, that sounds interesting.

Sorry for my english.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm not a pro by any means, but I've been mixing lately mostly on 824's (they're still the best thing I have to work on), and I've definitely noticed translation issues. As has been mentioned, now that I've used them for a while, I know that I won't be hearing low bass that's there, the low mids will be boxier than they really are, and the high mid/top end will be a little harsh. There are a pair of Alesis M1mkII's in the same room that I A/B with, and although those are by no means accurate either, they're almost the complete opposite of the 824's! High end is less detailed and somewhat smoothed, and the low end is excessively boomy (though it does help to stuff a sock in one or two of the ports).
I've heard that the 624's are entirely different animals and not just mini versions of the 824's. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

well. I see a lot of people hate them. Fair enough. To each his own. Love our 824s and I can get great mixes on them. They do take a little while to get used to. Some people dont like that. I can understand that the low mids ( as i mentioned before) can be deceiving unless you are familier with the speaker. I'll be the first to admit it.

I'm sure the BareFoots and Genelecs have their own desirable qualities,.. but the Mackies don't deserve this bad wrap.

Other mackie products however...
Old 21st January 2007
Here for the gear

Hi guys,

Like some others here, I had HR824s for about 4 years and while my mixes translated fairly well to the outside world, the bass was always 'hit and miss'. I switched to Adam P11As about six months ago, and while I initially missed the big bottom end of the Mackies, my mixes translate far better now, and the mid-range and top-end is amazing.

I can hear differences in the mid-range when tweaking EQs that the Mackie would not even register, and it's so much easier to be 'on target' with the bottom end. Price is the same as the Mackies, so if anyone is looking in this price range, do try the Adams. I'm sure you'll like 'em!

Chris
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

My 5.1 monitors are HR824s with the Mackie 12 in. sub and the M&K LFE4 bass manager. I have had a lot of experience setting these up in a couple of different rooms, and I will say that you can get the bottom to be much flatter by sending everything below 80 hz to the sub. I think the HR824s with the sub, sound much better rather than just the 824 trying to reproduce the lowest octave. Night and day for me, and less boomy, not more.

STeve
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MacMillan View Post
My 5.1 monitors are HR824s with the Mackie 12 in. sub and the M&K LFE4 bass manager. I have had a lot of experience setting these up in a couple of different rooms, and I will say that you can get the bottom to be much flatter by sending everything below 80 hz to the sub. I think the HR824s with the sub, sound much better rather than just the 824 trying to reproduce the lowest octave. Night and day for me, and less boomy, not more.

STeve
I did the same thing. rolled of at 80 and put it all to the sub and it flattened out the monitors and now the mixes translate better in my car and home theater system (denon and mission)

but I had that same translation problem at first as well.. but after reading all of this I'm considering letting the 824's go and looking at adam or dynaudio
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

I agree that the Mackie HR-824's are hard to beat for the money.

What other subs other than the Mackie HRS subs are you guys using with them?

I'm thinking about getting an HRS, but I'd like to hear about the alternatives.

Thanks!
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Addict

i listened to the mackies for about 5 minutes. the bass kept farting. some of these posts about them sounding nice are confusing to me.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
Mackie gets slammed a lot here. But, like most Mackie stuff, the 824s are a great product when compared to anything anywhere near their price point. I think they're the best monitors under $3k per pair. And they're well under $3k. They don't sound as good as the $6k Barefoots? I haven't heard the Barefoots, but that's not really a fair comparison.
Well...No! I had them... The bottom tends to get smeary- cloudy. Hard to get a tight kick/bass to translate.

Under 3K... No I got my KRK Expose 7's used from a rep buddy for $900. I think that was a steal. I sold the Mackie's and from day one my mixes started getting better..

I've mixed on other speakers. I like my E7 but I'm always willing to try something new. I just think unless you've heard really good speaker...the HR824's would sound cool. If all you've ever had was Ns10 style or crappy cheap things... The 824's sound really Pro then.

I wouldn't mind having them to use for watching movies or something..But trusting them to translate when your having to work fast and get good results I'd say look and compare to some other things. Check out BM15A's.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Can anyone offer an alternative pair below $1500? that's what I'm wondering...
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

anyone have any thoughts about the Blue Sky Pro Desk 2.1? I really need something that can help me dial in my low end, I do mostly hip hop as previously stated
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

I too have been looking for something to replace the HR824's that I've had for 7+ years. Though I've had to get used to them, their low end is horrible (and yes, my room is well treated with traps). I still haven't found anything else under 3k that can deliver the goods.

BTW - Be forewarned that the Dynaudio BM6A's clip very easily and can't reproduce very low frequencies adequate for electronic/club music (which is mainly what I do) or hip hop --- There's only so much that a 6.7" woofer can do.
So if you monitor loudly (which I do not) or have the need the need to check your mixes at high volumes (which I do), they're not a great choice IMO unless you had a second set of loud monitors to check your mixes.
If you're doing rock/jazz, they'd be a great choice, as they sound very balanced (down to about 50 Hz or so) and articulate at nominal volumes.

I tried the BM15a's as well and while they were able to handle the low end more readily, to my ears they lacked the balance of the BM5A's or BM6A's.

-T
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can anyone offer an alternative pair below $1500? that's what I'm wondering...

Event ASP8's. A lot of people will probably say they have many of the same problems the Mackies do but I've worked with both in the same room and the ASP8's translated much much better than the mackies. With the mackies my low end was all over the place. What I thought was a tight kick sound ended up really boomy on everything else the bass had a smeared sound to it and the mids seemed kind of honky, if that's the right word. The Event's low end was much closer to what I was hearing on the other sources and overall I got much closer to a finished product in a much shorter amount of time on the Events.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone else have thoughts on the Event ASP8's? Those look pertty spiffy to me
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

I really like the JBL LSR6328P. If you are a tracking engineer as well as a mixing engineer, chances are you need your monitors to go really loud without breaking. The Dynaudio BSM6a will not get a guitarist off who is trying to feel the power & glory. The Mackies will go pretty loud, but not as loud as the JBLs. I like the Mackies just fine, but if I was building a 5.1 system now, I would more than likely go with the 6328.

STeve
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve MacMillan View Post
I really like the JBL LSR6328P.
STeve
Too pricey
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Guru

Im glad you like the Mackies, they turn me off, im looking for a new monitor while my KRKs are in use but i have to pass on the Mac's.
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone else have thoughts on the Event ASP8's? Those look pertty spiffy to me
I'd highly recommend trying them out in your studio before buying. Not sure if you said that already, but wanted to bring it up
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Addict

I have worked on EVERYTHING under 3 K . And believe me , if You are not subjective Hr 824 is one of the best sounding and YES mixes translate beautifuly .... I f You can not work on them , don't blame the speakers .... try finding your problem elsewhere ....

Cheers

Max

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search