The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Musician's Advocate, ever bought from em?
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Musician's Advocate, ever bought from em?

DON'T!!

I know this should probably be in the 'moan zone' but not enough people will read it there. I am on a mission, and believe me it's warranted, to let ALL fellow slutz know that this company is garbage.

It's nearing three weeks since I bough an ATM450 from them off ebay. I got an email right away stating that I would have a tracking number within 72 hours. Yeah, right. Didn't happen. Since then I've sent a total of eight more emails to various addresses affiliated with their company. One of my early emails asked if they had a tracking number for me. The response, and I'm not joking, was "Not yet, sit tight". That's it.

Since then I got one automated response, which was vague at best, and nothing else.

I paid for this mic nearly three weeks ago. I STILL don't have a tracking number. I have no clue what the status of my order is.

Do me and yourself a favor, DO NOT BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!

I'm only trying to prevent you from going through the same miserable experience that I am going through right now.
Old 19th January 2007
Damn, that sucks. I'm sorry to hear about your frustration:(
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

just to be 'fair and balanced' I bought from them in the past and it went fine.

Sorry you're having a rough go.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankdoc View Post
just to be 'fair and balanced' I bought from them in the past and it went fine.

Sorry you're having a rough go.
I'm guessing I'll get a handful of responses in that vein. They have like 12,000 feedback, 99 point something positive. So what's the deal? Just bad luck for me perhaps...

I clearly explained right from the start that I needed a tracking number. I had them ship to my work, as that's where I'm at business hours. I work in a big building with tons of different departments, and ONE receiving dock. I'm quite afraid at this point that my package will NEVER make it into my hands.

As a buyer in this day and age all I expect is a little communication. That is more than reasonable.

They have failed miserably to meet the lowest of expectations in my book.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yep, bought from Brad several times. Hes a flake, and takes on way more sales than he can handle.

He also always blames delays on someones "spam filter" deleting his tracking email. Take a jaunt thru his feedback, its many pages, but you will see the most childish responses from him with disgruntled customers....I would be embarrassed if I was him.

I agree, dont buy from him... he doesnt seem to rip anyone off, but if you want your product in a month, guaranteed, forget it.

One of the problems with this, as I know first hand, is too many companies/distributors allowing drop shipping. This enables a klutz like Brad (Musicians advocate) to sell something he has no stock of. Everyone does this to a degree, but they are not as flaky as MA, period. Warhead has drop-shipped a few things to me, but he has never forgotten about me for a month as far as communication goes. And its NEVER more than 4-6 days... Bad flake you are MA, BAD!

Rant done.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

http://reviews.ebay.com/Musician-apo...00000002551369

yeah I did some research on this place before buying and decided not to based on several statements like this.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acoustic Cloud View Post
He also always blames delays on someones "spam filter" deleting his tracking email.

\
EXACTLY!! Funny that I didn't even mention that in my post and that is exactly the excuse I got from them.

Even more odd is the fact that I got it as an 'automated' response.

Funny that their 'automated' response system only responded when I sent some fire their way.

Odd that their system chose to ignore my polite inquiries...
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I emailed them 4 times in 2 weeks after I paid for my 2nd 141 *instantly*, I might add.. hohoho! I never received a single email honoring my existence as a "bug".

After finally slamming him in feedback, he seemed to answer quickly after that, by giving me the same neg, which isnt fair with ebays policy I think.

Hint??

Look at the amount of sqaretrade he has had to go thru to get his numbers back up.

I have dealt with dealers on ebay that dont even have one in history...with 4 and 5 thousand sales. Even though they are also sqaretrade members.

Look at the good ol' MA amount, it will astound you.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

sounds like I'm far from the only one. I really really hope that this thread gets viewed by hundreds.

MUSICIANS ADVOCATE DESERVES TO GO OUT OF BUSINESS
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have bought 2 AT4047's from them, at different times, the first time I had some communication problems as well, paid and got no confirmation, no acknowledgement at all, a few weeks go bye, sent a few emails and even a complaint to paypal, then the item turns up, so they sent it in good time, just didn't tell me about it.

could have saved a lot of trouble by a simple "yes we have got the money, item on its way" email.

I tried again about a year later, item arrived very quick, no problems at all.

both times I got a brand new boxed 4047 for about half what they retail for here in Australia, so...

you pick your battles!
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrif08 View Post
I paid for this mic nearly three weeks ago. I STILL don't have a tracking number. I have no clue what the status of my order is.
i'd ask for your money back immediately. even one week is too long to wait for something to be shipped. especially with all the fraud that occurs on ebay that they just seem to ignore.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Got an I5 on best offer from them and FedEx tracking number via email. No problems here.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

I've bought a few items from them, no problems, and best price I found. Have you tried the phone? I talked to Brad over the phone when I bought stuff.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I've bought a few items from them, no problems, and best price I found. Have you tried the phone? I talked to Brad over the phone when I bought stuff.
Going to have to resort to that I guess.

Did you just call his 800 number or what?
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Going to have to resort to that I guess.

Did you just call his 800 number or what?

Yes, from their website, 1-877-753-GEAR (4327)
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I've also bought several times from Brad with no problems. One item to some time to ship but he had told me in advance it wasn't a stocked item so no big deal. Was worth the wait to get at the price he was able to give it to me for. He always responded to my emails quickly. This was before he got big on ebay though I believe and he was never difficult to reach by phone or email.

Just my experience.

Chase
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cww2 View Post
I've also bought several times from Brad with no problems. One item to some time to ship but he had told me in advance it wasn't a stocked item so no big deal. Was worth the wait to get at the price he was able to give it to me for. He always responded to my emails quickly. This was before he got big on ebay though I believe and he was never difficult to reach by phone or email.

Just my experience.

Chase
Boy how the times have changed...
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

What a class act this schmuck is!

Just called their 800 number:

"Due to the upcoming NAMM show in Anaheim CA, and our integration of a new web site to better serve you, we're not offering phone support at this time. If you need a tracking number, please email [email protected]"

already tried that bud, 'bout a dozen F***** times!

This is really starting to infuriate me. WTF does the upcoming NAMM show have to do with your ability to pick up a f***** phone or respond to an email?!?!

I'd really like to kick Brad square in the nuts. I've never felt so disrespected as a consumer in my entire life.

I'll repeat:

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS GARBAGE, LAME ASS, JOKE OF A COMPANY
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

One last post:

Sent an email this morning chalked full of threats. I'm going to slam you with negative feedback, I'm going to the BBB, I'm going to file a complaint with pay pal, etc...

lo and behold, I have a tracking number. Estimated delivery date: Nearly three weeks from the date of purchase. tutt tutt tutt
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
One last post:

Sent an email this morning chalked full of threats. I'm going to slam you with negative feedback, I'm going to the BBB, I'm going to file a complaint with pay pal, etc...

lo and behold, I have a tracking number. Estimated delivery date: Nearly three weeks from the date of purchase. tutt tutt tutt
Every six months or year or so someone posts a thread like this one somewhere crapping on Musicians Advocate. There is nothing wrong with drop shipping. It's a perfectly legit way to do business. However, the guy should learn to politely (and honestly) communicate with his customers.

Anyhow, since we're talking about Warren and Front End Audio... I want to give you some history. Warren knows audio. He wrote for me and sort of got started retailing gear by getting in one particular piece of gear for review that he liked so much he thought he'd take a chance on selling it. At that time, Warren sold tires to dealers. That was his day job. He understands customer service from dealing with some sophisticated customers day in day out on the tire gig. And, Shane from Front End... The guy used to run sound for Britney Spears as well as a major network news crew. Britney Spears? Network news reporter? You got to be constantly polite and able to deliver to deal with these sorts of people. My point being: If you want to deal with two super guys who understand customer service, politeness and delivering you the product you want in a timely manner, then call Warren or Shane at Front End Audio.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

ahhhh yes, musicians advocate, fond memories. I have a couple of funny stories but I am not going to get into it.

When I started to get into building my own home rig I used to use him for some of my purchases because he used to have good prices on certain things (he still may).

Anyways, Brad will never win an award for customer service but he is far from a crook. He is a worn out rock and roller who has a bit of an edge to him and is trying to make a lving working out of his house in Las Vegas.

There are very, very few retailers who have excellant prcing and are what I would call professional to deal with and unless he has changed, Brad/Musicians Advocate is not one of them.

They are out there you just got to go out there and give some of them a try. Do a search some names will consistently pop up, cheers!
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

If Brads pitch in his auctions, about his companies GREAT policies didnt totally counter what happens often in his dealings, people wouldnt be this upset at him.

C'mon, "Nobody offers this, we do"

"Nobody does this, we do"

"Guaranteed tracking within 24 hours, always"

"Super neat-o return policy, we do"

"Nobody else is authorized to sell these, but we-do-is"

Starts to sound like Dr. Seuss......

I saved a few bucks with them, never again.

I buy most of my gear from Warhead (Frontend Audio)

Ozz, I will agree to disagree with you on the dropship thang, thats ok. This is one of the reasons that has plummeted the real physical music stores in many cities.
Old 21st February 2007
Here for the gear

Musician's Advocate

First of all, I would like to take the opportunity to apologize to ANYONE in this forum who feels that we have let them down. While I am hesitant to post my private Email in this forum, here it is: [email protected]. If anyone still has any outstanding issues with my company, or feels like they have been wronged in any way, I encourage you to Email me directly, and I will make things right. While I cannot address each individual comment, I would like to take the opportunity to share some of our issues with all of you. This is by no means any type of excuse, but an illustration of just how hard it is now to do business, especially on Ebay:
One of the posters is correct, I AM a 40 year old tired rock and roller that started this company out an apartment in Los Angeles, and carried it over to a house in Las Vegas. However, we now are a multi-million dollar company that employs 6 people full-time (and we are not working out of a "garage. In fact, I personally am not involved with day to day issues so much at this point, because I am trying to launch my Audio Production biz, much like many of you in this forum! That said, I am fully aware of the customer service issues, and we are deperately trying to get better. Call it "Growing Pains," call it what you will, but the fact of the matter is that we have sucked big time in the last 10 months, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
It is true that we do dropship some items, this is the nature of the beast. While we stock $500K worth of inventory at any given time, it is impossible to be 100% accurate on inventory with regards to Ebay. I agree that the COMMUNICATION is key, but is very difficult when you have 1200 other, less technically savvy folks than the individuals in this forum, asking for tracking numbers that ..yes...have been blocked by their ISP!
I could go on for days and days, but the bottom line here is that EVERYONE that works for me is a pro. Everyone owns a studio and plays in a band, and while it seems that we don't care.. we do. We especially care about the Project Studio/Professional Studio customer, and you will see this in the upcoming months. I accept full responsibility for some of the rude Emails and feedback comments that some in this forum have been a party to, and again...EMAIL ME any issues, and I will personally see to it that you receive a coupon or gift of some sort. By all means, hurt my feelings...whatever....I would like to hear the full story.
I appreciate all of your comments, and thank you for taking the time to read this.
Old 21st February 2007
Here for the gear

Musician's Advocate

First of all, I would like to take the opportunity to apologize to ANYONE in this forum who feels that we have let them down. While I am hesitant to post my private Email in this forum, here it is: [email protected]. If anyone still has any outstanding issues with my company, or feels like they have been wronged in any way, I encourage you to Email me directly, and I will make things right. While I cannot address each individual comment, I would like to take the opportunity to share some of our issues with all of you. This is by no means any type of excuse, but an illustration of just how hard it is now to do business, especially on Ebay:
One of the posters is correct, I AM a 40 year old tired rock and roller that started this company out an apartment in Los Angeles, and carried it over to a house in Las Vegas. However, we now are a multi-million dollar company that employs 6 people full-time (and we are not working out of a "garage" any longer... In fact, I personally am not involved with day to day issues so much at this point, because I am trying to launch my Audio Production biz, much like many of you in this forum! That said, I am fully aware of the customer service issues, and we are deperately trying to get better. Call it "Growing Pains," call it what you will, but the fact of the matter is that we have sucked big time in the last 10 months, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
It is true that we do dropship some items, this is the nature of the beast. While we stock $500K worth of inventory at any given time, it is impossible to be 100% accurate on inventory with regards to Ebay. I agree that the COMMUNICATION is key, but is very difficult when you have 1200 other, less technically savvy folks than the individuals in this forum, asking for tracking numbers that ..yes...have been blocked by their ISP!
I could go on for days and days, but the bottom line here is that EVERYONE that works for me is a pro. Everyone owns a studio and plays in a band, and while it seems that we don't care.. we do. We especially care about the Project Studio/Professional Studio customer, and you will see this in the upcoming months. I accept full responsibility for some of the rude Emails and feedback comments that some in this forum have been a party to, and again...EMAIL ME any issues, and I will personally see to it that you receive a coupon or gift of some sort. By all means, hurt my feelings...whatever....I would like to hear the full story.
I appreciate all of your comments, and thank you for taking the time to read this.
Old 4th August 2007
Here for the gear

Musicians Advocate. Buyer Beware!

Musicians Advocate.. boy what a putz

See the details here:
The Holmes Blog » Don’t Buy From Musicians Advocate - Worst Customer Service Ever!
Old 4th August 2007
Gear Addict

I've dealt with em. Poor communication.
Old 4th August 2007
Lives for gear

i bought some software from them and they were backordered, which i found a bit shady since it was an ebay auction... but they delivered quicker than they said.
Old 30th November 2007
Gear Nut

i ordered stuff from musicians advocate 6 weeks ago and i am still waiting... no end in sight, no tracking number. ordered stuff from mercenary.com at about the same time and got it a week later, everything fine. btw i live in germany, so one week delivery time is fast in this case.

email communication does work though, this is the excuse:

Quote:
We are very sorry that you haven't had any of our communications reach
you as our new email server is proving to be a hindrance, as many
messages are getting filtered as junk mail. While we strive to carry
every item we have listed in stock at all time, from time to time we
have inventory shortages that can be caused by various reasons, such as
multiple listings on multiple selling channels. We always have orders
that are scheduled to be delivered by the manufacturers, but when they
don't tell us of a back-order, we will run out of stock.

The Focusrite ISA428 is on back-order for a few weeks (the card is
available now). It is regrettable that some manufacturers run out of
product to sell, but it does happen. When these backorders get lengthy,
we sometimes run out of stock.

Please accept our apologies in the delay and let us know if you would
like a refund or would like to wait for this to get in.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

-Bradley Reed

strangely enough, every other shop has the isa428 in stock...
i think i will order somewhere else next time.
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musiciansadvoca View Post
less technically savvy folks than the individuals in this forum, asking for tracking numbers that ..yes...have been blocked by their ISP!
This has to be the
BIGGEST
load of **** I have read in a very LONG time.

WOW!!!!!

dfegad musician advocate
Old 30th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtGarceau View Post
What you need to do is contact the manufacturers and regional sales reps that work with this dealer and let them know that their dealer is tarnishing the name of the manufacturer. If the manufacturer truly values the customer over the dollars....that dealer will get their account pulled.

(I manage the two largest audio dealers in the world).

Great advice. If I was in the OP shoes, this is the route I'd take.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search