The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Musician's Advocate, ever bought from em?
Old 1st December 2007
I thought the dealer was the man with the love grass in his hand?
Old 1st December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankdoc View Post
just to be 'fair and balanced' I bought from them in the past and it went fine.

Sorry you're having a rough go.
how apt....
Old 3rd December 2007
Gear Maniac

Good company! Fast service! And no problems!fuuck
Old 3rd December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasyuk View Post
Good company! Fast service! And no problems!fuuck
yeah right lol.... btw. almost 7 weeks now and still waiting.... omfg!!!!! i said i wanted my money back last week, the reply was:

"We will call Focusrite tomorrow and get status.

Thank you for your patience."

that was a week ago. havent heard from them since...
Old 3rd December 2007
Gear Nut

In all fairness, it's not really fair to judge a company based on a few bad experiences. I ordered a microphone from Musician's Advocate via Ebay. I had absolutely no problem. About 15,000 other people agree according to their feedback score.
Old 3rd December 2007
Lives for gear

I ordered a pair of Neumann KM184s from him a couple of years ago. it did take a long time, and they were drop shipped, but I got a great deal, and the communication was fine if I remember correctly. I wouldn't rush out to do business with them again, but if I found something I wanted from them on eBay, I would not avoid them either.

I agree however, customer service is KING! This is something that Mercenary does in spades, and is why I use them. Another great company customer-service wise is JRR shop. Eric Dahlberg runs that place, and the service is AMAZING! I love those guys!

JRRshop.com : Music Gear Store By Musicians, For Musicians
Old 3rd December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtothemusic View Post
In all fairness, it's not really fair to judge a company based on a few bad experiences. I ordered a microphone from Musician's Advocate via Ebay. I had absolutely no problem. About 15,000 other people agree according to their feedback score.
well... there are companies i ordered stuff from about 50 times with no problems at all, not one single time. and then there are companies i order from once and the first time turns out to be a real pain in the ass. you'd be pissed off as well if you were in my shoes. since this company sells on multiple selling channels (not only ebay but also Welcome to Musician's Advocate), the ebay buyers are prioritized, because thats where you get the feedback. i bought from the website and there is no possibility for me to provide some feedback, except here where i found this thread. i am now waiting for my preamp for about 7 weeks now. they are blaming focusrite for running out of product to sell, but that is bulls***, since every other retailer has it in stock. they have had my money for 7 weeks but i still dont have my preamp. and that kinda sucks!!!
Old 3rd December 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiseidl View Post
well... there are companies i ordered stuff from about 50 times with no problems at all, not one single time. and then there are companies i order from once and the first time turns out to be a real pain in the ass. you'd be pissed off as well if you were in my shoes. since this company sells on multiple selling channels (not only ebay but also Welcome to Musician's Advocate), the ebay buyers are prioritized, because thats where you get the feedback. i bought from the website and there is no possibility for me to provide some feedback, except here where i found this thread. i am now waiting for my preamp for about 7 weeks now. they are blaming focusrite for running out of product to sell, but that is bulls***, since every other retailer has it in stock. they have had my money for 7 weeks but i still dont have my preamp. and that kinda sucks!!!
I agree. I would be pissed. But I figured since this is a thread specifically dedicated to trashing an online retailer based on some odd experiences, it's only fair to weigh in on the other side.
Old 3rd December 2007
Lives for gear

I can understand the desperation you feel. Delivery includes good communication. To run a sucessfull business you gotta have your admin in.
My guess is that;
a) The guys per MA post all have Pjt studios and or are in bands.

Now I'm guilty of the same: too much time mucking around in the studio and let my customers wait. I am slack with follow up communication and I am pretty much the "traditional tradesman". When I'm interested in the business it runs well. That I want to have a studio, well I'm suffering the lost income.
I just gotta get interested in the business again and all will straighten out.

b) He also is not there running the day to day concerns of the company.

My advice to myself and MA is.. get interested...get very interested in your business and enjoy it. Have fun with it! remember when it was a great game?
Trying to save money by having overburdened staff doing everything in the business, means nobody is responsible for anything. If you have employees make one In charge and the others have seperate functions apart from the all hands on deck filling orders time.
If your admin remains out due to lack of efficient staff to service your customers you won't be there very long. It is never too late and a hell of a lot better than starting all over.
Put in some organization. and make sure all staff complete their jobs.
Your product would be; A logged order, rapidly filled and delivered into your customers hands.
Anything short of that is an enemy of your business function.
Put people in charge of the major processing steps including keeping of records. Most important to you is that each of your staff solve the problems they encounter and not refer them back up the line.
GOOD LUCK
Old 3rd December 2007
Gear Addict

WOW funny i came across this thread. I bought some gear from him awhile back with the same crappy service. Many, many emails. long wait. the guy was totally full of crap. DO NOT DEAL with this lier. . What are they smoking up there in Las Vegas. This asshole must be out gambling all the money away or owe the mob some money. who knows. watch out. The funny thing is after a month i finally got the item. A few days later he emails me saying the the item would be shipped later that week?!?. WTF ? I was thinking what a dummy. I ALREADY HAVE IT!!. so i just played along with him for a few days since he jerked me around for over a month with no tracking number, no response to emails etc.. He finally caught onto it and had the nerve to be an asshole to me!! for playing along with his stupidity!!! so anyway
dfegadMusicians Advocate
Old 3rd December 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
yeah right lol.... btw. almost 7 weeks now and still waiting.... omfg!!!!! i said i wanted my money back last week, the reply was:

"We will call Focusrite tomorrow and get status.

Thank you for your patience."

that was a week ago. havent heard from them since...
AAAAAAA you are from Germany!hehhehhehheh
Old 4th December 2007
Gear Head

classic feedback exchange however....

Payé : 04/10 envoyé : 16 /10 reçu:7/11 Facture pas sur la boite : ****** douane Buyer:
babar87_be ( 91)
Nov-12-07 01:57
Reply by musiciansadvocate (Nov-12-07 09:23):
Wish we could speak French... Is he calling us ******s?? Oh well.......
Earthworks DK25L 3-Mic Live Drumkit System (#150163376171)
Old 4th December 2007
Here for the gear

I'm breaking my usual silence mainly because of my disdain for the feedback practices employed by Musician's Advocate and other unethical ebay "Power Sellers".

The fact that Brad/Musician's Advocate uses "Tit for Tat" feedback tactics immediately tells me all I need to know about him and his venture's ethics.

If a person pays immediately or meets the stated policy at auctions end and then undergoes a 6 week or more game of e-seller sleuth to get the item they purchased...they rightfully should leave you negative feedback... in the very least neutral. They should NOT childishly be neg'd back. They paid you. They earned their Positive feedback the moment they sent prompt payment. Period.

I bought a Rode mic a year or so ago from them/him(?) Had a similar experience to others here. Not as bad, but same circumstances...same problems.

After two weeks of no tracking info and no response to my emails, I finally found an email buried in their/his feedback(in one of the wonderful spiteful responses) and that did the trick and I got a response back stating that... yep that ol' pesky spam filter struck again! I then promptly received the mic. So, for me it was only three weeks or so ...not so bad. Slightly inconvenient but thankfully not shafted.

However for the others who had it worse and gave you the deserving feedback... just take the negative feedback, respond with an apology and then put a little effort into fixing the problem. Otherwise you are no advocate to any musician.

Oh and adjust your Spam filter!
Old 4th December 2007
Gear Nut

WOW!!!!!

" Your order xxx has shipped and the tracking information is below. Thank you for your business!
Shipped on 12/3/2007 using International Priority: xxx

Sincerely,
Musician's Advocate"

finally... after 7 weeks
Old 4th December 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
WOW!!!!!

" Your order xxx has shipped and the tracking information is below. Thank you for your business!
Shipped on 12/3/2007 using International Priority: xxx

Sincerely,
Musician's Advocate"

finally... after 7 weeks

I'm sure Brad is reading these posts. Though you would think he would try to defend himself.
Old 4th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I'm sure Brad is reading these posts. Though you would think he would try to defend himself.

Well, how many times can you shout "YOUR SPAM FILTER ATE THE TRACKING NUMBER!"

I wonder why nobody else has (t)his problem as often??
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

I've bought from Brad a handful of times but only directly from his website so I don't know about his ebay practices.

Part of the reason I've purchased from him is because he gave me prices no one else would touch. The other part - he always followed up with me timely. It may not have been the same day I sent an email but always in an acceptable time frame. He's a good dude and will deliver what he says.

From my experiences - he doesn't necessarily carry a huge inventory but he does offer some of the best pricing out there - and I shop around vigorously. I've only done transactions with him via his MA website but see him on ebay. Dealing with him via the website - he has always told me he didn't have a particular item (or once even rep the item) but could deliver a price that made it worth the wait. There is another supplier I buy from with a top drawer reputation that operates the same way. I have no problem with that based on the savings.

Bottom line for me is that he is just a dude like me that loves music, loves recording and loves gear - not having the overhead of a huge inventory allows him to offer me the prices that are so attractive - and which, I assume, is why most of buy an item - I can wait a few extra weeks for something if it means increasing my beer and hooker budget -

I say give the dude a break - there are a lot of scammers on the bay - he is not one of them - he just doesn't carry a huge inventory. He gives the price that makes you buy and then delivers the goods - he really is a good dude -

My experience.
Old 5th December 2007
But also don't forget-- the dealer is a monster-- that guy, he's not a natural man!
Old 5th December 2007
Gear Maniac

Hmm

I bought two mics from Brad 4 years ago and they have both been non-working for the last two years. A Beta 91 and a Rode NT-4 stereo mic. I got crazy deals on both but both have failed since then.
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

keeping fingers crossed

how does it happen that you find out the downside just after making the decision, based on tangible positive evidence to support that decision?
eBay Stores/Fixed Price Item #120191125370
Audio Technica AT4047SV Studio Mic AT 4047 SV open
Price: $388.99
Quantity: 1
Inventory SKU: AAT4047SV(2411-07010)
Date: 12/5/2007 5:40:56 PM

i had it ordered yesterday and i saw this thread today. Anyway, its a smokin' deal and i hope all you guys are in the 0.6% who left MA negative feedback. It seems I've taken a 99.4% chance to save a couple of big green bills. Keeping fingers crossed...
Old 6th December 2007
Lives for gear

I've ordered from them a few times, and have never had any problems. The last item was a pretty big ticket item, and it arrived in 3 days. I guess maybe I've been lucky so far. I'd be flipping out too waiting 7 weeks
Old 6th December 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiothings View Post
how does it happen that you find out the downside just after making the decision, based on tangible positive evidence to support that decision?
eBay Stores/Fixed Price Item #120191125370
Audio Technica AT4047SV Studio Mic AT 4047 SV open
Price: $388.99
Quantity: 1
Inventory SKU: AAT4047SV(2411-07010)
Date: 12/5/2007 5:40:56 PM

i had it ordered yesterday and i saw this thread today. Anyway, its a smokin' deal and i hope all you guys are in the 0.6% who left MA negative feedback. It seems I've taken a 99.4% chance to save a couple of big green bills. Keeping fingers crossed...
And it has to go to India? Look for it this time next year from this guy.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
And it has to go to India? Look for it this time next year from this guy.
its being delivered to a friend in michigan. he will bring it here in january. (hope it gets there before then )... hey, lets cut him a littke slack, shall we? hes got thousands of transactions and a positive score of over 99%... and is apparently genuinely apologetic about the few bad transactions.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

I won an auction on a microphone a while ago with the "buy it now feature," and then was directed to Paypal where I promptly payed. After that, it took three weeks of me emailing/calling to find out they didn't even have the mic in stock. I then cancelled my order. I don't care what kind of business you say you are, but unfortunately the advent of EBAY seems to give people the notion that "hey, sometimes we run out of stock on things we auction. it happens, there's nothing we can do about it." How about NOT auctioning off stuff you don't have in stock? If you were a private seller, you wouldn't sell something on EBAY that you didn't have...and if you did, you'd be a crook! Good business practices make good businesses. Ok, the rant is now done.
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecorwin View Post
I won an auction on a microphone a while ago with the "buy it now feature," and then was directed to Paypal where I promptly payed. After that, it took three weeks of me emailing/calling to find out they didn't even have the mic in stock. I then cancelled my order. I don't care what kind of business you say you are, but unfortunately the advent of EBAY seems to give people the notion that "hey, sometimes we run out of stock on things we auction. it happens, there's nothing we can do about it." How about NOT auctioning off stuff you don't have in stock? If you were a private seller, you wouldn't sell something on EBAY that you didn't have...and if you did, you'd be a crook! Good business practices make good businesses. Ok, the rant is now done.
that is bull****...
kinda makes the whole Idea of having a sale's person kinda lame
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post
that is bull****...
kinda makes the whole Idea of having a sale's person kinda lame
This comment is kinda 'lame'

This is an auction site. Not a retail store front. Get it? AUCTION?

You don't go to a estate auction and bid on stuff that is NOT there do you?

If he is drop shipping stuff the he should clearly boldly say, "I don't actually have the stuff I am selling!" If the manufacturer doesn't have stock, I'll ignore your emails and make up bull**** excuses for as LONG as I can until you either get the item or cancel your order!
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

I bought an M197 from Musicians Advocate. Paid wayyy less than anywhere else. It shipped to Canada in no time... actually got it a day earlier than was projected. Still works!

I remember the communication was rather sterile... "Hello eBay buyer so-and-so..." but I kinda expected that from an eBay "power seller".

However, that chick with the guitar on the Musicians Advocate eBay page... I guess it's an eye catcher, but it's a bit cheesy.

The prices are great, but in the case of some of you who've had problems... I guess you pay for what you get, right?
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReal7 View Post

You don't go to a estate auction and bid on stuff that is NOT there do you?
yea and my comment is lame?

I have waited three months for a guitar neck dealing with a ********
business like this
crappy thing is if you neg-em they will neg you back

if auctioning **** you don't own isn't considered lame what is lame

dudes dirty bra...

it's false advertisement
Item location:Las Vegas, Nevada, United States

its one thing if the buyer is aware of whats going on
Old 7th December 2007
Lives for gear

Just take a look at the amount of squaretrade cases MA has had. I have seen NO ONE registered with ST have this many arbitrations. Not even peeps with 40,000 transactions!! HA!
Old 12th December 2007
Here for the gear

Musicians Advocate POOR BAD SERVICE

I have been waiting 10 days for a non automated reply and when they finally replied they had the nerve to tell me I was "wasting valuable time" and my "SPAM FILTER"was blocking their emails

WHAT A JOKE THESE GUYS ARE

they go on about they are better than MEGASTORES BUT THEY SUCK

DONT EVEN BUY A GUITAR PICK FROM THESE LOSERS

THEY ARE RUDE AND LIE ABOUT THIER SUCKY SYSTEM AND TRY AND BLAME YOU.

oh and forget about phoning them you will get a recorded message

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search