The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
burning my CD's...
Old 19th January 2007
Here for the gear

burning my CD's...

So I want to burn and sell the CD we just recorded. In the past, we always have burned them to Cd-R's, but I was told it is quite unprofessional to sell CD-R's. Also, CD-R's seem to be much less stable and dependable than CD's. My questions are:

1) Is it true that CD-R's are unprofessional to sell?

2) What machine do I need to buy to burn them to CD and not to CD-R? Is there such a thing on a smaller level (rather than mass production)?

Thanks in advance,

Tuf
Old 19th January 2007

Without sending them off to a manufacturer, you will be making CD-R.

What you want to avoid is the print on the back side that says "CD-R". You can get them blank and get printers that will print a design on them.

http://www.cdrom2go.com/printers-sec...FSguYQoddU07Hw

http://www.supermediastore.com/printer.html

-tINY

Old 19th January 2007
Gear Guru

there are plenty of commercial places that will burn small runs ( 100-1000) and do the printing on the disk and the insert. Once you compare that service to making a couple hundred CDs yourself on your computer and printer you will never go back.

these guys are good if you are in NYC or even if you aren't.

There are some issues with burned CDs not playing some older CD players, but that will probably be an issue whether you burn them or some company burns them.

If you go over 1000 or so replication (manufactured cds) becomes much cheaper and is the way to go.

I think you can charge more for a disk that has a nice printed cover and is shrink wrapped and so on, than you can for something that was obviously home made. Nobody can tell from the outside of the package whether you made 100 or 100,000.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search