The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
the next purchase....
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

the next purchase....

ok. this is not a "which mic pre should i buy" thread....

currently i'm running my nuendo studio for my own purposes and benefit. but i am going for as good a sound as i can get.

i'm currently using a Lynx 2 ADC (which is fantastic!)
plugged into that is my RNC, fed by a Manley mono-pre (man that thing rocks!)
the mics: AKG 414 TLII, Blue Baby Bottle, Shure Beta 58

that's the basic setup. i'm using a UAD for processing (got the 1176, LA2A, RealVerb).

running into all of that is either my washburn acoustic, fender (american) tele into ampeg reverberocket 2, fender (american) jazz bass. and vocals.

it's not a ton of gear, and it sounds ok. i just this month upgraded from my fairly crappy sounding Boss DR-660 to FXPansion's BFD virtual drum instrument .... wow - what a difference that makes.... first track with that is starting to sound like real music now!

anyway. on to the dilemma at hand.

what's next on my purchase list?

well, i have had my eye on an API preamp for a while. some of what i'm writing has an edgy rock sound, and i love that punchy API sound on rock vocals. i just haven't brought myself to spend it yet.... i mean - it's basically $1100 for the lunchbox + 512 or $950 for the BAE ... and for a single channel the SCA doesn't really save me much $$$, and i have to build the damn thing. in any case, i'd like to have the API to help vary the sounds on the tunes. the Manley is f'in great ... but sometimes I feel like it gets a little "mushy" having all those warm and fuzzies together. so, a nice punchy API would be a nice counter-tone.

but then i get to thinking. i have my eye on some other toys. i'd love to pick up a Fender Supersonic amp for example, to give me some more variety in guitar tones (although the ampeg with a Fulldrive 2 is pretty close to exactly the tone i'm looking for).

i've also thought about upgrading monitors... i'm using the m-audio studiophiles (the original 8", not the updates). they are OK.... a bit weak on the bass, a bit hyped on the highs. but i'm learning them pretty good now (had them for a while), and i temper them with my Ultrasone cans.... so, i'm not sure if i'll get much mileage out of that upgrade.

with the UAD, i've got access to demos of some other plugs. so, on the most recent track (with the BFD), I tried a few things out. i turned on the 1073 EQ on the vocals ... and WTF?!?! why didn't i do THAT sooner? wow... i also tried on the precision eq and multiband comp on the mix buss ... and ditto there. so, maybe i need to drop a few $$$ on those things.

of course, then i got to thinking again (always a danger).... i had a conversation with Fletcher a while back (when I bought a Great River ME-1NV .... and later sold). and he was turning me on to those Gefell mics, the M930 in particular. and now I'm wondering if what i need isn't a better pre or plug-ins, but maybe another mic. but i don't know how much better the M930 is going to sound than the 414.

the problem is that what i'm churning out is OK. it's getting better. but every upgrade i've made so far has had a pretty big impact on the sound. so, i guess i'm looking for where i'll get the biggest impact.... i mean, the API will give me a new sound across the mix, the amp will give me less hum, monitors will give me buyers remorse and a lot of time to learn their sound, the plugs will give me incremental improvements on the sounds i already have, and the mic will give me better tracks maybe with some improved clarity ...

so - what would you do. i suppose i'm open to other options... but i'm definitely not having a "which mic pre should i buy" moment. i've been there, done that. i have nightmares about researching mic pres.
Old 19th January 2007

Short answer... get the API.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
Short answer... get the API.
yeah get the API just buy it from Vintage King
Old 19th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
yeah get the API just buy it from Vintage King
Why is that? Because you've never done business with my company... The point of my post wasn't for someone to buy something from me. If they feel like my recommendation helped them, or that any of my posts have helped them... then I would love to help out another GS'er. But, I wasn't asking for their business.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

whoa guys

wasnt looking to start a vendor war here....

in all honesty. i'd love to buy a BAE 312A or a Lunchbox + 512c used .... but finding one of those used is about as likely as finding pres bush solving a mensa problem ....

by the way ... why doesn't API make a single channel unit? that thing would probably sell like hotcakes since it would likely cost a bit less than the lunchbox combo, and it would be a real API. there's must be a market for that given all the millenia's, grace, hardy, manley, and so on and so forth. or maybe someone just needs to make an inexpensive 1U box that has an internal power supply and connections for a single 500 series card. damn. maybe i should build one of those.... doesn't that exist somewhere already? if API makes it, it could be the "snack pack" instead of the lunch box ....
Old 19th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by underworld View Post
why doesn't API make a single channel unit? that thing would probably sell like hotcakes since it would likely cost a bit less than the lunchbox combo, and it would be a real API. there's must be a market for that given all the millenia's, grace, hardy, manley, and so on and so forth. or maybe someone just needs to make an inexpensive 1U box that has an internal power supply and connections for a single 500 series card. damn. maybe i should build one of those.... doesn't that exist somewhere already? if API makes it, it could be the "snack pack" instead of the lunch box ....
Avedis makes the 1U rack for 500 series modules. It's called the Avedis R52, and can hold 2 x modules.

The cool thing about it, is that it allows you to link Channel 1 to Channel 2, but still have the unaffected output of Channel 1 sent to your DAW. I have one with a 512 in Channel 1 and an Avedis E27 in Channel 2, and really enjoy the functionality of it.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

hadn't seen that Avedis unit before.... but it suffers from one major problem:

it's as much or more than a lunch box!!

i would totally dig the R52 at around $250 ... but at $450 to $500, it's just putting me back at $1000 to $1100 for a single channel of API sound. and at that price i might as well get a lunch box. but i don't want to pay for extra power and slots that i'm not planning on using...
Old 19th January 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by underworld View Post
hadn't seen that Avedis unit before.... but it suffers from one major problem:

it's as much or more than a lunch box!!

i would totally dig the R52 at around $250 ... but at $450 to $500, it's just putting me back at $1000 to $1100 for a single channel of API sound. and at that price i might as well get a lunch box. but i don't want to pay for extra power and slots that i'm not planning on using...
Yeah, believe it or not API used to make the same thing and it was twice the price. Whenever you rackmount something it adds a lot of cost, but this rack is really well made. It's steel, as opposed to aluminum and it's very convenient with the link switch, etc.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
and for a single channel the SCA doesn't really save me much $$$, and i have to build the damn thing.
A single A12KF, SC25 op-amp, power supply, wiring harness and chassis is $650, about a $300 savings over the BA unit. But I wouldn't consider it if you're not actually excited about the prospect of building a kit.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeventhCircle View Post
A single A12KF, SC25 op-amp, power supply, wiring harness and chassis is $650, about a $300 savings over the BA unit. But I wouldn't consider it if you're not actually excited about the prospect of building a kit.
uhm... how is it $650? i just went to the site and added the following to my basket:

1 A12KF Preamp Kit = $284
1 SC25KA Opamp = $75
1 PS03KA Power Supply = $269
1 CH01KF Chassis Kit = $299

By my math, that's $927! Of course, the $35 discount brings it down to $892 ....

So, I can get that setup for $892, or for less than $60 more I can get the BAE 312A single channel ($950).

At $650 for the SCA, I might consider building it .... but at $892 .... I wouldn't.

Am I missing something here??
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Am I missing something here??
Yes. Please read the ordering instructions.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, you have to follow the ordering instructions. There are discounts hidden in there that I can't find a mention of, but lo and behold, the man is right. You should be able to get a single channel of SCA A12... for $650.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search