The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio Politics Dynamic Microphones
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Studio Politics

Guys-

I had a band in the studio this past weekend. When the session was over, I found myself -1 Sennheiser e609.

Now, I'm not sure if I lost the mic, or if the band snagged it, but make no mistake...I am METICULOUS when it comes to my gear, and I have searched far and wide, up and down for this thing...

My question to the forum is, how do you handle a situation like this with the band? How lightly do you tread? They are regular, loyal customers, and I really don't want to rock the boat, considering the fact that I might find this thing under the sofa in a week.

FWIW, I know I know, keep better track of your mics, do inventory, ect ect...I'm no fool, but $h!T happens. How do you deal?
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

you know what...last sunday i worked with a keyboard player live that was real weird..

at the end of the night, i did my workbox inventory, and realized i was short 1 D.I. box.

the band wasn't totally done getting their gear off the stage..so i went down and was like..humph i'm short one DI box..anyone see it?
-nope nobody
then i just asked if everyone would check their quarter inch cables to see if they accidently packed it away..

sure enough...the keyboard player had it!

choose your words...and you wont have a problem with anything!

i was given an audio book one time when i was looking at colleges, about how to talk to people and get what you want out of them..it works! i just don't remember what the book is called or i would reccomend it..musicians are hard to talk to sometimes..
good luck!

don't accuse them because they pay parts of your light bill, or dinner out with the lady!!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

All you can do is ASK the band to check their cases see if anyone has it by accident. And do it without any accusation. If it doesn't turn up in a week, claim insurance or just swallow it and buy another one and next time keep all mics that arent set up either neetly lined up on a shelf or ledge where you can see them from the console, or locked in the mic cupboard / drawer.
Old 19th January 2007
What's the worst possible thing that could happen? You somehow intimate that these guys stole it and it turns out through some odd series of events it's just misplaced.

You should be sure that could never happen. But then if you have proven it was there, and now it's gone, talk to the band member you trust most and just lay it out.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear interested

Sometimes, by asking in a cautious and polite way, if there is someone who "sort of" stole it... or picked it up by accident and hadn't returned it yet... it gives them the opportunity to return it gracefully. Positions on the issue do not become polarized.

If they're regular customers, it sounds unlikely they would turn into thieves or opportunists, since they know you and value your work. Unless they had a peripheral person with them who you don't really know?

If not, I bet it was an honest mistake, or that you displaced it and it will turn up. No harm in asking them though.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

If anything is missing I will always call the band and ask them to check (if they already left) and so far no probs, I always get my stuff back. Either way the studio has cameras recording everything, so at the end I'll find out (never had to go that far...yet). Most of the time will be drums parts, cables, DIs, etc.

Off course those thing can be taken by accident....a mic is a little bit harder. But if you ask polite and without an accusing tone. They wont take it bad. (unless they stole it)

Good luck and hope you found it soon.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
What's the worst possible thing that could happen? You somehow intimate that these guys stole it and it turns out through some odd series of events it's just misplaced.

You should be sure that could never happen. But then if you have proven it was there, and now it's gone, talk to the band member you trust most and just lay it out.

stop accusing me. I told you she asked me to come over. Lets leave our laundry to ourselves, eh?
Old 19th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by swankdoc View Post
stop accusing me. I told you she asked me to come over. Lets leave our laundry to ourselves, eh?
Howzy 'bout next time you just leave your laundry in your pants!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

This doesn't help you now, but in studios I've worked in, there is a mic inventory sheet kept inside the mic locker. Prior to session start and again as the clients are tearing down I do a mic inventory. Mics have never been lost/stolen during one of my sessions.

Mics have been stolen on other occasions when this simple task was not done. I heard of one session where someone got in from outside and ran off with a '57 while a session was in progress!

On the cable side, I've had people leave cables and I've had no idea where they came from.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Install video cameras and make them well known to your clients.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompEq View Post
I heard of one session where someone got in from outside and ran off with a '57 while a session was in progress!
Bet the thief was mad when he found out he had chosen to steal the cheapest thing in the place
Old 20th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Install video cameras and make them well known to your clients.
And at the same time be sure to say, "You know, I really like you guys, this record is going to be fantastic!"
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search