The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixed ITB Billboard #1 for the third time!
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Mixed ITB Billboard #1 for the third time!

Hey all, just wanted to let you know I got another one. Rodney Atkin's 2nd single "Watching You", on Curb records is sittin' at the top of Billboards Country chart this week. I mixed it at Soundstage Studio in Nashville, TN. 100% mixed in the box only using plug-ins, no outboard gear or summing boxes. 24/48 wav files bounced to disk, then mastered at Mastermix in Nashville by Hank Williams. The tracks were recorded by Craig White at Curb studios on a Euphonix console, with alot of cool old pre's and vintage compressors. All A-muscians with great gear.

Sorry for tooting my own horn, it's just that I'm havin' a great time helping validate this medium as a mixing platform!

Billy Decker
Just Mix It!!!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Congrats!!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECKERATOR View Post
Hey all, just wanted to let you know I got another one. Rodney Atkin's 2nd single "Watching You", on Curb records is sittin' at the top of Billboards Country chart this week. I mixed it at Soundstage Studio in Nashville, TN. 100% mixed in the box only using plug-ins, no outboard gear or summing boxes. 24/48 wav files bounced to disk, then mastered at Mastermix in Nashville by Hank Williams. The tracks were recorded by Craig White at Curb studios on a Euphonix console, with alot of cool old pre's and vintage compressors. All A-muscians with great gear.

Sorry for tooting my own horn, it's just that I'm havin' a great time helping validate this medium as a mixing platform!

Billy Decker
Just Mix It!!!

Hey friend Billy, did you mix in protools?, pc/mac? what ! Thanks and congratulations !
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Addict

stuff like this reassures me that icons are okay..and ssl's/other analog consoles aren't the only way out! haha

anyways..congrats!!

Last edited by MX582; 19th January 2007 at 04:54 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Big congrats to you! The mix sounds great. I love the sound of the Euphonix setups that I've heard, BTW... The instrumentation/tracks sound very inspired.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Godd for you man!!!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Man, that's a ****ty song. I'm sorry... What's wrong with Nashville these days? Makes me want to go listen to "He Stopped Loving Her Today" like right now. On the flip side, congrats Billy. You seem like a cool dude from your posts and I'm glad you're finding success in the country music capital, or what's left of it. Later.

p.s. For what it's worth, N.Y. and L.A. aren't fairing much better.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby12 View Post
Man, that's a ****ty song. I'm sorry... What's wrong with Nashville these days? Makes me want to go listen to "He Stopped Loving Her Today" like right now. On the flip side, congrats Billy. You seem like a cool dude from your posts and I'm glad you're finding success in the country music capital, or what's left of it. Later.

And yes, I know I'm probably a bitter asshole.
Old 19th January 2007
Hey Billy! congrats!! I wish you even more success!!
That is really a great acomplishment!!!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Billy Decker
Just Mix It!!!
I know and I get an evil little snicker everytime you post heh

Congrats................again to you 'The Gearslut Antichrist' heh
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Whatcha mean by this?

Congrats Billy!!!
Old 19th January 2007
Congratulations Billy!!
I hope they don't move your post to "The good news channel"
Because here more people can ask and learn from you.

Best regards

Armando Avila.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

............"I'm sorry... What's wrong with Nashville these days? ...."

You forgot to also ask what's wrong with all the people who are buying the track that got it to number 1. Or is it that "Nashville" forced the general public to like the song.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by picksail View Post
Whatcha mean by this?

Congrats Billy!!!
I should have just kept my mouth shut. Donning flame suit as we speak... I just think the quality of music coming out of the 3 big music cities, with I guess Atlanta being right up there for hip-hop, is pretty much ****, both in terms of songwriting, performance (usually just the lead vocal), and recording. However Stewart, that doesn't mean people like you who happen to be in those places are turning out ****ty work... you just happen to be where the action is. And don't try to pretend like you don't agree with me to an extent... I just felt like speaking my mind. I've already hijacked the thread enough... apologies. I just don't like that song or the ten thousand others that sound just like it. Peace.
Old 19th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post

You forgot to also ask what's wrong with all the people who are buying the track that got it to number 1. Or is it that "Nashville" forced the general public to like the song.
I think that people is not fool, if public put the song on #1 the song have something special in many aspects, even if I don't like some style or song, I always give my respects to sombody that achieve a hit song, because as we all know, it's hard to get a hit single, I've saw many times, songs with a lot of money behind, and if people don't like it, the song die, people forget very fast.
Peace.
Armando Avila.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well, ever since Garth Brooks, country music, which Nashville is synonymous with, has been more about image than music. Image sells. The music has suffered as a result. It's funny how many people I know say they love all music, except country and rap, which are about the two best selling genres right now. I don't know too many people are who true fans of music with extensive collections across all genres that buy mainstream country records. It's right up there with Britney Spears as far as I'm concerned... the only difference between CMT and MTV is funny hats and pedal steels

Continuing to wear my flame suit...

p.s. Trying not to generalize here... there's good in everything. But go check out someone like Jim Lauderdale on iTunes (he's a friend of mine who's written some number one hits in Nashville) and listen to how great his songs, vocals, recordings, etc. are and wonder why he hasn't made it big as a performer... he's not a bad looking guy either and he wears the classic country outfits, yet he doesn't fit this stereotype country image they have now so he doesn't get any exposure. He has more talent in his little finger than all these new guys combined, and his records sound fantastic.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Congrats!!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Mr Dekerator - Did you mix the whole record? If not, do the other mixes hold up, unlike the Steve Holy CD where the tunes you did not mix sounded - shall we say - different?
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

That's awesome man. Really gives those OTB guys something to think about I'm sure, and us ITB guys more confidence.

Out of curiosity, what plugs are you primarily finding yourself using? UAD, Sony, Waves, Voxengo, Kjaerhus, etc.?
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, I know I said I was going to shut up, but this post is slightly positive Just so you don't think I completely hate newer country, I do kind of think that Joe Nichols song "Size Matters" is pretty damn catchy and has a little bit of its own sound, although I can't get over the penis innuendos that immediately come to mind when you hear the title. I think that's kind of the tongue-in-cheek sort of play on words that Nashville is obsessed with now... "That's What I Love About Sunday" immediately comes to mind.

I just want to hear something from the heart like "He Stopped Loving Her Today" which can literally bring a tear to my eye, especially when I think about all bull**** that George Jones has been through and put everyone though because of his drunkenness... that's country music to me. Not a song about chicken nuggets and Happy Meals. Sorry.

I guess I just don't like, and will never like, New Country. Garth Brooks and Shania Twain pretty much derailed country music into something that it was never about. In her defense, I do think Shania Twain, and her husband to a greater extent, did some cool things, but they've been hopelessly imitated by many, lesser artists. "You're Still The One" is a great example of a well done, well recorded, well written New Country song. Well, maybe it's a pop song. Ok, I'm done.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, ever since Garth Brooks, country music, which Nashville is synonymous with, has been more about image than music. Image sells.
Yeah...he was a dreamy dude, huh? A lot prettier than that HUGE sensation from the decade before...George Strait. ??

Garth crossed over. Cross over fans bring their taste for pop hooks/production with them. If you want to blame someone for ruining Nashville, blame Cobain for ruining rock and driving all the pop/rock fans to country radio as the only source for anything resembling Journey, Bon Jovi, John Waite, Springsteen, Jackson Browne, etc that they might have grown up on.

I for one, wish country would go back so that we could have our pop people back. Get TripleA radio to ease up on the navel gazing quotient and have a real Adult Alternative. Mature pop. Retro schlock. Whatever you want to call it.

Quote:
I think that people is not fool, if public put the song on #1 the song have something special in many aspects
I disagree. People like obvious cheese. Occassionaly, that is also well done music...but, it's purely by accident. If you can tell me what's so musically unique and/or interesting about the PussyCat Dolls, maybe you can pursuade me.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Maybe Pussycat dolls is not your cup of tea...but its obvious that the whole production, mix and concept is just incredible...thats not my kinf of music, but i respect the level and the ears that are conected with the public...that is sooooooo hard to get! no matter what kind of music you do...just my opinion...

Oh sorry i forgot: well done DECKERATOR !!!! good for you!!!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

cool I guess I'll start mixing with my console again. I hate following country music artists. But then again most of them are not even artists since they buy their songs.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
Yeah...he was a dreamy dude, huh? A lot prettier than that HUGE sensation from the decade before...George Strait. ??

Garth crossed over. Cross over fans bring their taste for pop hooks/production with them. If you want to blame someone for ruining Nashville, blame Cobain for ruining rock and driving all the pop/rock fans to country radio as the only source for anything resembling Journey, Bon Jovi, John Waite, Springsteen, Jackson Browne, etc that they might have grown up on.

I for one, wish country would go back so that we could have our pop people back. Get TripleA radio to ease up on the navel gazing quotient and have a real Adult Alternative. Mature pop. Retro schlock. Whatever you want to call it.

I disagree. People like obvious cheese. Occassionaly, that is also well done music...but, it's purely by accident. If you can tell me what's so musically unique and/or interesting about the PussyCat Dolls, maybe you can pursuade me.
I can't really add much to that. Well said. I wasn't necessarily referring to Garth Brooks' physical appearance, just his whole "country rocker" image, and more importantly, sound. I may be a little rusty on my George Strait, but he's more definitely a bit more country than Garth. Cobain didn't ruin rock... he saved it, along with Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Rage Against the Machine, etc. Let's not get into that. People do like cheese though... that's why Journey, Def Leppard, and pretty much everything in the 80's did well. That, oh yeah, what was that thing called, oh right, cocaine!

New Country does seem to have alot in common with big arena 80's music in that everybody looks and sounds the same and relies so heavily on that formula that's guaranteed to sell. That, and they're no black or Latin people in site, other than Cowboy Troy That's a whole other discussion as well... let's not get into how white people can always find a way to ruin music (trying to be funny here... probably failing miserably).

In closing, I'll say that Springsteen is probably the cheesiest mother****er on earth, but come on, Jackson Browne! He's written some great stuff.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Deckerator you rule man
I just love guys like you and Charles Dye crushing all the stereotypes about mixing.
I love it when you can just get on with a job using what you have, and not whine about not having "special issue DGSD tube valve super great 24 years old compressor" to do a mix.
I love it even more when you do have "special issue DGSD tube valve super great 24 years old compressor", but choose not to use it 'cos you don't give a f..k.
And the best part of having all this number one hits is that anybody trying to discredit your work, can only look like complete loser.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm guessing Nuendo? Isn't that "the" DAW in Nashville?

peace,
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Or is it that "Nashville" forced the general public to like the song.
No, but C&W Radio programming did...but I digress.

Besides that though...Congrats!!!
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by No4PCs View Post
Hey friend Billy, did you mix in protools?, pc/mac? what ! Thanks and congratulations !
mac g5 hd3 pro control with a mouse!

billy decker
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:

p.s. Trying not to generalize here... there's good in everything. But go check out someone like Jim Lauderdale on iTunes (he's a friend of mine who's written some number one hits in Nashville) and listen to how great his songs, vocals, recordings, etc. are and wonder why he hasn't made it big as a performer... he's not a bad looking guy either and he wears the classic country outfits, yet he doesn't fit this stereotype country image they have now so he doesn't get any exposure. He has more talent in his little finger than all these new guys combined, and his records sound fantastic.
i've mixed some demo's of his, your right he is talented and a good guy!
billy decker
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
Hey Mr Dekerator - Did you mix the whole record? If not, do the other mixes hold up, unlike the Steve Holy CD where the tunes you did not mix sounded - shall we say - different?
i mixed all but the song "these are my people". it was mixed by a different engineer on a sony oxford. i'm remixing it now though cause it looks like it might be the next single.

billy decker

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search