The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mixed ITB Billboard #1 for the third time!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

BTW...

BTW, you got any links to stuff you've done that's not mainstream country? The George Jones tribute sounds pretty damn good, although I have a hard time listening to those songs with anyone besides George singing them. Unfortunately his voice is not what it used to be, but it did hold up pretty good over the years despite the drinking.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby12 View Post
BTW, you got any links to stuff you've done that's not mainstream country? The George Jones tribute sounds pretty damn good, although I have a hard time listening to those songs with anyone besides George singing them. Unfortunately his voice is not what it used to be, but it did hold up pretty good over the years despite the drinking.

check this out!

http://www.claraoman.com/index.cfm

billy decker
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Billy,

Congrats on your success and sharing it with the group here...

In the other thread you mention some plugs/mixing techniques.

Would you mind sharing, specifically, how you treated the vocals in this song? What plugs/fx/verbs?

If you have time, can you talk about drum mixing ITB?

Thanks!

Damon
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_nomad View Post
Hey Billy,

Congrats on your success and sharing it with the group here...

In the other thread you mention some plugs/mixing techniques.

Would you mind sharing, specifically, how you treated the vocals in this song? What plugs/fx/verbs?

If you have time, can you talk about drum mixing ITB?

Thanks!

Damon

no problem, i'm just waiting for a client to show up anyway. on the vox, it's an la3a followed by a channel strip, followed by ren vox, followed by a desser. so three comp's, one eq, then a desser. on the drums, it's a sampled snare along with the real. a sampled kik replacing the original. all the drums are sub'd to a 1176, followed by an la3a. the la3a has the threshold pulled all the way back so the signal is doing nothing but running thru it cause it kinda darkens it(no limiting at all). the 1176 is 4:1 bumping it back 2 db. all channel's have metric halo's channel strip on them and the kick has the ren bass added for some extra depth.

some people have asked me why i give up all my settings, and i tell them if everybody mixed like me, i'd listen to the radio all the time!! besides, i got em from someone else anyway (ha ha).

billy decker
Just Mix It!!!
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

hey billy,

who played on the record?

--jon
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCraig View Post
hey billy,

who played on the record?

--jon

lonnie wilson-drums
dave pomeroy-bass
b-james lowery-acu
gordon mote-pno
troy lancaster-elec
mike johnson-stl

it was a piece of cake to mix. the tracks practically came in mixed. the tracking engineer craig white over at curb is fantastic at what he does.

billy decker
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

cool! i thought it sounded like gordon & mike! i've worked with b-james lowry once, and i'm afraid i don't know the other guys, nor craig @ curb. killer sounds--i bet the mix was a blast!

keep up the good work!

--jon
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DECKERATOR View Post
no problem, i'm just waiting for a client to show up anyway. on the vox, it's an la3a followed by a channel strip, followed by ren vox, followed by a desser. so three comp's, one eq, then a desser. on the drums, it's a sampled snare along with the real. a sampled kik replacing the original. all the drums are sub'd to a 1176, followed by an la3a. the la3a has the threshold pulled all the way back so the signal is doing nothing but running thru it cause it kinda darkens it(no limiting at all). the 1176 is 4:1 bumping it back 2 db. all channel's have metric halo's channel strip on them and the kick has the ren bass added for some extra depth.
BombFactory stuff? Including the freebie 1176? Awesome! [I'm sure most of the board is doubled over in agony at the mere mention!]

Congrats on your success!

What reverbs are you using, btw?
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Deck - Do you edit parts? Or is there a rule that says you can't edit parts?
(I'm picking up that Rodney Atkins CD tomorrow. Do you get points for mixing?)
Old 20th January 2007
Here for the gear

Hey Billy, TW here. I didn't know you were on GS!! Congrats to you.
Starting March first I'll be right down the street from you in the old Groove Room Studio.
It's mine starting Feb 15. We gotta hang a little more.
Was Ted Hewit involved with Rodneys' new album at all?

T.W.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby12 View Post
I should have just kept my mouth shut. Donning flame suit as we speak... I just think the quality of music coming out of the 3 big music cities, with I guess Atlanta being right up there for hip-hop, is pretty much ****, both in terms of songwriting, performance (usually just the lead vocal), and recording. However Stewart, that doesn't mean people like you who happen to be in those places are turning out ****ty work... you just happen to be where the action is. And don't try to pretend like you don't agree with me to an extent... I just felt like speaking my mind. I've already hijacked the thread enough... apologies. I just don't like that song or the ten thousand others that sound just like it. Peace.
No troubles.

You ain't hurting my feelings.

It's all good with me.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hey all, just wanted to let you know I got another one. Rodney Atkin's 2nd single "Watching You", on Curb records is sittin' at the top of Billboards Country chart this week. I mixed it at Soundstage Studio in Nashville, TN. 100% mixed in the box only using plug-ins, no outboard gear or summing boxes. 24/48 wav files bounced to disk, then mastered at Mastermix in Nashville by Hank Williams. The tracks were recorded by Craig White at Curb studios on a Euphonix console, with alot of cool old pre's and vintage compressors. All A-muscians with great gear.

Sorry for tooting my own horn, it's just that I'm havin' a great time helping validate this medium as a mixing platform!

Billy Decker
Just Mix It!!!
Congrats, Billy! I actually enjoyed the song...a bit corny, but hey...Great message!

Good work on the mix!

Take care,
John
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle duncan View Post
Deck - Do you edit parts? Or is there a rule that says you can't edit parts?
(I'm picking up that Rodney Atkins CD tomorrow. Do you get points for mixing?)

yes i can pretty much do what i need to do to make it sound good. i got points on his first record cause i co-produced a few tracks, but this one i just mixed.

billy decker
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_wax View Post
BombFactory stuff? Including the freebie 1176? Awesome! [I'm sure most of the board is doubled over in agony at the mere mention!]

Congrats on your success!

What reverbs are you using, btw?

the reverbs i use are ren verb and of course everyone's favorite...DVERB!

billy decker
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONGDOC View Post
Hey Billy, TW here. I didn't know you were on GS!! Congrats to you.
Starting March first I'll be right down the street from you in the old Groove Room Studio.
It's mine starting Feb 15. We gotta hang a little more.
Was Ted Hewit involved with Rodneys' new album at all?

T.W.

hey buddy, yeah we'll go get some lunch.

ted was and is still the producer.

billy
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Congrats on the #1 Billy!

ITB or OTB, Rodney's stuff is some of my favorite sounding music right now. I never would have guessed ITB though.

Everybody is entitled to their own opinion. My opinion is that I really like and totally enjoy where mainstream country music is at and going. You are partially responsible for that with the work you are putting your ITB stamp on!

As for as CM, maybe it's my age. I'm 41 and have grown step kids but can relate to the story in this track. I have not listened or bought a new rock record for years. In my opinion, mainstream rock sucks and has sucked for many years now. I grew up on Sabbath, Priest, Deep Purple, Maiden and so on. Plus all the great guitar gods. Mostly Vai and Satriani. This music I miss but it is the past.

Watching you is a great song that would not be #1 if it wasn't great. Rodney is playing with Sugarland (Jennifer Netles is f***in' amazing!) at the Chicago Theatre in about a month and I will be there and expect a great performance.

Keep up the great work and your influence on the sound of today's CM!! thumbsup thumbsup

Regards, Jeff
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Oh, I forgot to mention...gearslutz is such a great forum!!!

The fact that my wife and I have been enjoying this song so much for the last month or so....then, as I'm lurching around GS (my favorite hobby next to knob twiddling), I stumble across this thread started by the guy who actually mixed the song. Unbelievable.

How cool is that!!! gearslutz rocks!!!
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vin-gear View Post

Watching you is a great song that would not be #1 if it wasn't great. Rodney is playing with Sugarland (Jennifer Netles is f***in' amazing!) at the Chicago Theatre in about a month and I will be there and expect a great performance.

Regards, Jeff
Thanks for the compliment jeff, enjoy the show. he carries a 5 piece band so we actually took some of the tracks off the record for him to suppliment live with. i think some bgv's and a few shakers and tambo's. the drummer plays to a click we have lined up with the tracks and wahla!

Billy Decker

p.s. send me an email and i'll forward it to his mgmt. to get you on the guest list?maybe a meet and greet after the show?
Old 21st January 2007
krs
Lives for gear

Quote:

billy decker
This is fantastic - made my day

Congratulations!
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

I went to iTunes to hear your record and the amount of depth in the mix great. Very very deep. Feels like I'm being pulled into the speakers, as opposed to the speakers pushing out at me. That my friend was a very good job of balance and I don't know what else on your part. Sounds like you didn't go for the "mainstream" pop compression techniques which don't have that amount of depth. Although I like that style of mix (overcompressed that is). It is also obvious that the input stage of the recording had a lot to do with the overall sound of your mix. Seems like you know how to fit yourself into a situation properly.

Good job on being and doing that correctly.

Larry
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

billy decker
I like DVERB esp following Protools Extra Long Delay.

www.bluethumbproductions.com
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrygates View Post
I went to iTunes to hear your record and the amount of depth in the mix great. Very very deep. Feels like I'm being pulled into the speakers, as opposed to the speakers pushing out at me. That my friend was a very good job of balance and I don't know what else on your part. Sounds like you didn't go for the "mainstream" pop compression techniques which don't have that amount of depth. Although I like that style of mix (overcompressed that is). It is also obvious that the input stage of the recording had a lot to do with the overall sound of your mix. Seems like you know how to fit yourself into a situation properly.

Good job on being and doing that correctly.

Larry
i use lots of compression (slow attacks, fast releases religiously) on individual channels and none on the 2buss. i also mix very hot into my subgroups. i dont know if that's wrong or right, but it working huh! as i've said before, i'm self taught(no assisting jobs, or great engineers to come up under), so i just come up with sounds by listening to others, and by asking alot of questions. i remember wanting to know how bob clearmountain got a certain drum sound about 7 years ago. i called the studio he was working at and for some reason he answered the phone. he not only answered my question, he sent me the sample i was asking about. now that's cool huh!
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Ok now a pic of your room to top it all off....
Old 21st January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faderjockey View Post
Ok now a pic of your room to top it all off....
just getting ready for when billy tells us which room:

http://www.soundstagestudios.com/

--jon
Old 21st January 2007
Congrats on another one Billy! I appreciate your willingness to share with gearslutz
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:

some people have asked me why i give up all my settings, and i tell them if everybody mixed like me, i'd listen to the radio all the time!! besides, i got em from someone else anyway (ha ha).

billy decker
Just Mix It!!!
My friend you have acquired some great knowledge. & I'm not talking about music or technology. You keep sharing and you'll keep pumping out good material. As far as slow attacks I'm going to try that on my next mix. I use blinding fast attacks with short releases. And mix that with the original signal. Also in a few months I want to use your services. Email me

Larry(at)larrygates(dot)net

Thanks Deck
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm really proud of Boz Scaggs - Fade Into Light. Totally ITB

STeve
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCraig View Post
just getting ready for when billy tells us which room:

http://www.soundstagestudios.com/

--jon

this is the best one i've got now. our studio manager has just gotten the website redone and it will be up and running in about 3 days. new pics, gear lists etc. the soundstage website up now is about 5 years old. my room is the drivethru. it's been totally redone in the last year. new wall treament decorations etc.

http://www.mhlabs.com/metric_halo/news/bDecker.shtml
Old 7th February 2007
Here for the gear

Hi Billy,

I've been a long time lurker and avid reader of Gearslutz. Just had to register and say what an inspiration your advice and open nature on your mixing is.

Thanks for sharing and congratulations on all your success!

All the best!
Old 7th February 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
cool I guess I'll start mixing with my console again. I hate following country music artists. But then again most of them are not even artists since they buy their songs.
By what dumbass stretch of the imagination do you think that artists that cut outside songs aren't legitimate? Ever heard of Elvis, Bruce Springsteen, Wilco, Frank Sinatra, Neil Young, Eagles, Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston, Norah Jones, etc? Unbelievable. I'm a songwriter in Nashville and THE PROBLEM with Country right now is artists that are trying to be writers. I'm not talking about artists that started as writers, I'm talking about the 20 year old girl that they stick in the room with whoever and they write a song about grandma and the smell of jasmine and it ends up taking a slot on the album. A slot that could be filled with THOUSANDS of amazing uncut songs that are just sitting in catalogs - not to mention that are being written every day. I'm sure Billy has demo'd a bunch of them. The most successful acts in modern Country music were never writers. Alabama, Garth Brooks, George Strait, Reba McEntire, Tim McGraw, Kenny Chesney, Faith Hill, Trisha Yearwood, Brooks & Dunn, Rascal Flatts, etc.

Billy does a great job - I've heard some of his demo mixes and I thought they were really, really good...but this song that just went number 1 is terrible. Perfect example of what I'm talking about...Labels and Radio determine what gets to the Top 12, after that - yes - the public can help songs get to number one...but this is big business - money can do anything.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search