The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TC-Helicon Voicelive v.2/3 and alternatives Analog Processors (HW)
Old 13th November 2015
Gear Nut

TC-Helicon Voicelive v.2/3 and alternatives

Hi. I am planning to perform live with an acoustic set, just my voice and ac.guitar.
As regards my voice, I am looking for FX processor(s) to replicate what I use in the studio, i.e. basic EQ, doubling/harmonizing, compression and occasionally some pitch correction.
I have noticed this TC-Helicon voicelive 2 or 3 (the v.3 has also looper functions), it seems to be impressive, but I don't have the chance to test it, so I would welcome some feedbacks from those who are already using it.
Furthermore, since the voicelive is quite pricey, I wonder whether I could be better off in using separate pedals in a chain and, if so, which ones.
Thanks.
Old 13th November 2015
Gear Addict

Hi,

take a look at the Play electric also.
works for me, is much cheaper and smaller.
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

Voicelive 3 is now reduced in price since TC released the VL 3 Extreme.
Old 13th November 2015
I have Voicelive2 floor units and the Voicelive pro rack units. A bit of a love/hate relationship with them. They are convenient - they give you everything you need in one box, which is hard to argue with. I find the automatic eq and compression really works great - for mixing yourself live it's nice to have something purpose designed to make your vocals sound good, even if you wander off the mic a bit. I recently put a live rig together and wanted to go all analog, so tried my Joe Meek Twin channel instead think it would be a huge improvement. But I found I preferred the TC sound - it had more edge and punch which I needed.

I think for harmonies and pitch correction, TC are some of the best.

What I don't like: I think the FX are bland, and you have to be a rather good engineer to program them. For example ...

Delays - I like to use mono rigs for practical reasons, and I prefer simple mono delays. They only have a stereo delay, so you have to always turn off one of them and pan. It's a fairly programmable delay, but no real flavor or character. And if you want modulation on the delay, you have to faff around with the seperate Mod section and routing to make it only affect the wet delay. These are highly programable - designed by engineers who think a little differently from normal musicians.

I love doubling, but I actually hate the TC Helicon doubling - it sounds like a smeary auto-tuned reverb. I prefer my double to be a crisp digital copy, not smeared like that. So you might be able to tweak a better double sound using the Mod section, where you can apply pitch shift and slow modulation. Or - simply use the Hard Tune feature and layer this with the original dry sound - that will give you a cloned copy that is slightly delayed and pitch corrected. I find with doubling it's best to avoid overt modulation that sounds like chorus - so the natural beating between your dry and a pitch corrected copy can sound quite good.

I'm really not a fan of the TC Helicon reverb. It works is about the best you can say. I think Behringer have WAY better sounding reverbs. I'm using my Bricasti, which is over the top, but sounds so much better.

So to be honest - for what you want to do, I would closely look at the new Behringer wireless mixers. Cheap, sound great - if you can live without pitch correction, the bang for buck these offer are irresistible.
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

I've got the Voicelive Touch whatever the original version is and I like it quite a bit. I don't like the way the guitar DI sounds at all, but it's ok enough for live use. I've used the vocal portion in the studio for effects heavy overdubs. I actually find it very useful as a writing tool to explore ideas, plus it's a great all in one option for a solo acoustic gig too. I get a lot of use out of mine, but I haven't used the pedal version mainly because I don't like having to tweak stuff on the floor.

ETA: The "Touch" version especially the first one can be had used for considerably less than the pedal version also.
Old 13th November 2015
Lives for gear

I got the VL3 this year and I like it a lot. It makes doing a one man show much funner because I can dial in some patches to enhance the songs and make loops and save them per song.. If you do get one and have a pc get the voice live editor software which makes editing much easier.
Old 16th November 2015
Gear Nut

Kiwi, so I understand you are suggesting to use Voicelive 2 for harmonizing (but not for doubling???) and a separate pedal for delay/reverb (e.g. the Zoom MS-70 ...) ? is that right?

Furthermore, you mention the Behringer's wireless mixer, which model ?
(Behringer and TC-Helicon belong to th same Music Group (https://www.music-group.com/) so I can suppose some technologies are shared across the different brands...)
Old 18th February 2016
Gear Nut

After a bit of time and some thinking and reading reviews and watching videos on youTube, I have gone for the Voicelive 2. Thanks for all the suggestions and comments from this great community.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search