The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Richard Butler
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Richard Butler

Loved the PsychFurs stuff. Loved the Love Spit Love...I'm a sucker for a Smiths sample. His solo album is wonderful, a mashup of The Blue Nile, Talk Talk and Doves.

Butler is in excellent voice throughout. Producer Jon Carin blends drums, keys and guitars in cool ways. From a review online:

Quote:
This is a lovely album and a very welcome return from Butler. His vocals still have the coolest texture around, a synaesthetic concoction of fine grain sand and warm brandy pouring into your ears. And, regardless of his newfound openness, Butler’s lyrics remain evocative. The great discovery here, though, is Jon Carin. For over two decades now, he’s been buttering our bread (musically speaking, that is), and we didn’t even know it. Sure, you could make the obvious choice and visit Richard Butler’s fancy-schmancy website. Instead, why don’t you drop on by www.joncarin.com and leave a hearty congratulations on his message board. Currently, there are a total of, um, seven posts. With so fine an accomplishment as creating the lush musical soundscapes found on Richard Butler, Jon Carin should be every bedroom producer’s new hero. And this very good album should be added to every listener’s collection.
First heard of it here on GS...thanks again, folks!
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I picked this album up when it was first released. It's quite good, an introspective, personal album along the lines of Ric Ocasek's most recent solo album. The production sounds a little "home studio-ish" in parts (no more so than Todd Rundgren's most recent release), but that doesn't detract from the overall experience.

I saw The Psychedelic Furs play a 10-song set at the Hollywood Bowl last fall (along with ABC/Martin Fry and Human League) and they sounded excellent. Their sound was always modern and a bit outside of the norm, so they still sound relevant and fresh today. Unlike some bands that reunite years after their prime, they were playing with heart, not plodding through the motions.

-Synth80s
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Loved the psychedelic furs. Also Love Spit Love had a couple of great songs.

Will try to get this!

Santiago
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

tasty

thanks!

First Furs album is in my top ten.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yah, not a rocker of an album, much more sensitive-songwriter type stuff. But the sonics on this thing KILL. Lush, thoughtful arrangements. Hypercompressed vox; lots of breath noise kept in, etc. Not a classic like Talk, Talk, Talk, but then how many classics are you supposed to come up with? He's still in the game and doing serious stuff, so I'm all for him.

Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTMNMF View Post
thanks!

First Furs album is in my top ten.
Did anyone ever notice that the Psych Furs "Sister Europe" sounds like an early Nirvana song?

First album is great. Richard Butler is a great singer. He did seem to channel some of Johnny Rotten's sneer in the beginning.

The Psychedelic Furs is one of Steve Lillywhite's best.

Butler's first solo album is nice.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
Did anyone ever notice that the Psych Furs "Sister Europe" sounds like an early Nirvana song?
Did The Furs rip off Nirvana, too? Those bastards! heh
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth80s View Post
Did The Furs rip off Nirvana, too? Those bastards! heh

Pretty in Pink

And wasn't she easy
And isn't she
Pretty in pink
The one who insists
He was first in the line
Is the last to
Remember her name
He's walking around
In this dress
That she wore
She is gone
But the joke's the same

Oh. I get it.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

Is there anything else out there that has similar sonics that I can buy? I bought the Blonde Redhead and the latest Wilco album because of an earlier thread. Love 'em all, so far.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

I still really like the early Furs stuff. Sister Europe, Pretty in Pink... in fact, I played the ol' Todd Rundgren-produced Love My Way recently and - WOW. That tune still knocks my socks clean off. I haven't heard Richard B's latest - thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out.

One memory I have of the Furs is a gig on the Gold Coast during the Forever Now promo tour, sometime early 80s. We loved those guys music to bits in those days but oh my, they were absolutely crap that night. The vocals were appalling. From memory, the boys were very. very pissed onstage. We left after a few tunes. Unheard of for us to do that during a set by one of our favourite bands.

Not that I can talk - I've done some ****ty gigs in advanced stages of inebriation myself.
Old 19th January 2007
Lives for gear

For a new take on "Love My Way", you can check this out: Donna Beasley

She's my wife, that's a cut on her just-completed album...
Old 19th January 2007
big furs fan here too. unfortunately only got to see them during the hairspray days... mirror moves, but even so great band and what a voice!

top picks

talk talk talk
forever now

cheers, w
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vodka gimli View Post
Is there anything else out there that has similar sonics that I can buy? I bought the Blonde Redhead and the latest Wilco album because of an earlier thread. Love 'em all, so far.
I'd go Echo and the Bunnymen "Ocean Rain"

Beautifully sublime.
Old 20th January 2007
Gear Nut

i was in college when love spit love had a single on the raidio. i was already a furs fan and i liked the new stuff richard was doing but, as history shows, it failed to catch on. A couple of weeks ago i picked up that LSL record. Pretty good stuff. There was something about the production that bugged me though. Something in the sound that i wanted to punch through just didn't. The songs were good but sounded too restrained somehow. Clear but not visceral. Something.

i'd love to see Butler get some revival love.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search