The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
RE15 as versatile as an SM57 ?
Old 18th January 2007
Here for the gear

RE15 as versatile as an SM57 ?

Why does everyone rate 57's so highly? i don't get it, anyway......re15's 40 quid for a pair.....worth it? useful? elvis liked them...
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

I love all the old EV mics, i.e. RE15, RE16 and 635a (there are others, but they are less flexible).

My RE15 is outstanding on bass drum (also good on toms), the RE16 and 635a make great acoustic guitar mics if you like a non-condenser sound, and the 635a (an omni) also shines on guitar amps. I've never used an SM57 since buying these mics!

Note that they don't have a pronounced proximity effect and at first you may think they're "thin" compared to an SM57. That makes them easier to set up, and I've never been afraid of EQ.

Cheers,

Recky
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'll take an RE15 over a 57 any day for any job. I guess the 57 might help fix a lisping singer.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

635a is one of the undiscovered gems in the studio. acoustic guitar for that 60's thing,
mono drum O/H, and paired with an re-20 on a crunchy guitar cab.
re-15 is cool, but not as useful as the 635a. Although I did use an re-15 w/ a LDC
on a clean guitar cab on a record this year with great results.
buy 'em all, and sort it out later.

best - DaveDarling
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'll take a dozen 635A's to make a record before I'll take a dozen 57's.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

I LOVE all my EV's. In the past month, I've run across 4 635s that ran $25 ea. Unbelievable mics. I've also just at least one of most of the others....re15, re16, re18, re50, etc.....They're all great.

m
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

RE-18 owner here. It's a nice alternative to the SM57/Beta58. Less brittle, more meaty low-mids. Sounds kind of dark.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

RE15 is a real sleeper, but I can't imagine recording without at least one somewhere: Toms, snare, hat, overheads (for a Phil Spector kinda vibe), Leslie cab, trumpet, certain vocals, any time you get an uncommon instrument and start to think "I wonder what mic would work on this?" And *definitely* electric guitar. (I know I've mentioned this here before, but on several occasions when I've put an RE15 on a guitar amp, the guitarist asked "don't you have an SM57?" My reply is always "This is the mic they used on Keith Richards for Brown Sugar" at which point they get some ****-eating grin on their face & stop asking me stupid questions.)

635A is also a big thumbs-up, especially since they're stupid cheap. I got one for $25, never seen anyone asking more than $50.

Which is not to say that they're *more* versatile than an SM57...but they're certainly quite versatile, and a welcome change of pace.
Old 18th January 2007
500 series nutjob

i reach for a ev re-15 before the sm57 most all the time
toms, bass, bass, and guitar.
it is probably my favorite for electric guitar.
how much is 40 quid in u.s. money?
Old 18th January 2007

If that's for new RE15s, I think I'll have to take a trip.

If used, grab 'em quick. They are very useful for recording and on stage.

-tINY

Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Can anybody give me a comparison between the re15 and re20? Totally different beasts or what?
Old 19th January 2007

Similar element.

The RE20 has extended bass response and a nice, big, vibration isolating shell on the outside.

-tINY

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search