The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Neumann V72.. (V472)
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Addict

The Neumann V72.. (V472)

I've been researching online for a few hours on the Neumann-made v72, the v472. These are opamp, non-tube. I've only seen the 2-channel version, the v472-2. There is little information to be found (by me at least). Just about the only thing I could find is Oliver Archut saying that they are a good alternative to the Telefunken tube based version.

I found the 2-channel v472-2 for sale professionally rackmounted with gain control, phantom power, and phase switch. I'm looking for your opinions on this and what the going rate would be..

Thanks
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by undermind View Post
...the only thing I could find is Oliver Archut saying that they are a good alternative to the Telefunken tube based version.
That's really all you need to know.
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Telefunken/Neumann/Siemens V Modules

In general, many of the solid state versions of the tube V72 and V76 modules are some of the BEST VALUES OUT THERE IN THE VINTAGE MARKET TODAY but there are different versions of each of these and they are NOT all the same. First of all, the V72 and its successors with a 72 in the name (like the V372, V672) were mainly intended to be a line amps, and not mic pres, and unmodified they have a fixed gain. They can be made into fine mic pres, but the "72" series does not have enough gain for some low output mics like ribbons. The "76" series (V76, V276, V376, V476, V676, V676a) were DEDICATED MIC PRES and have about 76 dbs of very clean gain (perfect for ribbons). After the tube V76, the FIRST SOLID STATE VERSIONS were the Siemens made V276 and the TAB made V376 (many of the TAB made versions say "Telekunken" on the front but this was just a brand name used by TAB). Both of these came out at about the same time in the early - mid 1960's. These first two versions are completely discrete and sound closest to the tube V76. I have a rack of 8 V376 modules and I use them every day and they are as good as any Neve or api (just different). I have used the Siemens made V276 and they are similiar in tone to the TAB made tube V76. The way these are made, you are not going to overdrive the tubes like a guitar amp, these are meant to be clean circuits so you are not really heaing "the tubes" per se (just wonderful warm, open and clear gain).

TAB made later models, like the V676 and the V676a. There is also a V776 but I am not sue who made it. All the later ones have different transformers (round and not square in shape), and I think there asr some op amps in them, so they are not really discrete, but they are still excellent. The V476 is the Neumann version, closer to the TAB made V676a than the earlier V376 but still great. A good all around derert island type mic pre that will work on just about everything from classical music to screaming rock guitars.

My understanding is that the later LAWO and ANT versions are NOT IN THE SAME LEAGUE as the TAB, Neumann, and Siemens models and are to be avoided. Oliver Archut knows a lot more about this, but I believe what I have said is correct. I think these (V276, V376, V476) will just go up in value as other Gearslutz find out about them.

J. Mike Perkins myspace.com/jmikperkins

I think these (early solid state V72/V76)
Old 18th January 2007
C/G
Lives for gear

My Telefunken V676a that I used to own and some Telefunken V672 modules I have seen all had the round transformers (probably made by Haufe) and not square, and they were discrete. I guess it depends who made the modules for Telefunken: Siemens or Tab.

The V676b,c, and d versions were not discrete.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

The Neumann has round transformers as well FWIW.
Old 17th March 2012
Gear Nut

There's next to no info about how these sound on the web. I just got 2 stereo units racked along with a pair of V672. The 472s are every bit as good as the 672, but a totally different flavour: much less colour in the mids but still very 'vintage' in sound. More definition across the frequency spectrum.
Old 7th April 2012
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypurser View Post
There's next to no info about how these sound on the web. I just got 2 stereo units racked along with a pair of V672. The 472s are every bit as good as the 672, but a totally different flavour: much less colour in the mids but still very 'vintage' in sound. More definition across the frequency spectrum.
Thanks for the info! Do you use them as a mic pre or for line levels?
I have four of those 472-2 stereo units, waiting for being racked. Hope they work well as mic pres.
Old 7th April 2012
Gear Addict

The V472 can be made into a nice microphone level preamp, i do have like 50 or so of these cards around, every incarnation...the best i´d say is the ones with the discrete neumann opamp.

Anyways, that stuff is as high end as it gets in terms of specs and engineering, no matter if its discrete or not.

Currently building a console based on these and their V475 summing counterparts, W444 faders and such..

Coming out pretty cool!

Have fun.
Old 12th April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFZ DUDE View Post
The V472 can be made into a nice microphone level preamp, i do have like 50 or so of these cards around, every incarnation...the best i´d say is the ones with the discrete neumann opamp.

Anyways, that stuff is as high end as it gets in terms of specs and engineering, no matter if its discrete or not.

Currently building a console based on these and their V475 summing counterparts, W444 faders and such..

Coming out pretty cool!

Have fun.
AMAZING - I plan on making an 8-buss summing mixer with a V475, with inserts for each buss, to use all my modular EQs and comps. It'll be like an endlessly customisable mixing desk, only more unwieldy.

I can attest that the discrete version of the 472-2 makes an excellent pair of mic pres and 46 dB of gain is enough for almost all purposes. I tend to use them for stringed instruments and piano. Neumann stuff just seems excellently suited to acoustic music, generally, in my opinion.
Old 29th April 2013
jrp
Lives for gear

here is a schematic for the 472-2
http://audio.kubarth.com/rundfunk/ge...RYP9%268%60%0A

This version has connections for a gain setting resistor or pot. 0-40db. To get more gain you can simply replace R6 with a lower value as long as it sounds good and stays stable.

I wonder how these transformers behave with a microphone. I assume these are designed for a line level source.
Old 29th April 2013
Gear Maniac

There are pretty cheap unracked modules out on the bay that require little effort to get em working.
Old 29th April 2013
Lives for gear

The ANT TRS 700's are modifiable into the v672 or close to is that correct? http://recording.org/vintage-pro-aud...trs-700-a.html - This schematic for V672
Old 12th June 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrp View Post
here is a schematic for the 472-2
http://audio.kubarth.com/rundfunk/ge...RYP9%268%60%0A

This version has connections for a gain setting resistor or pot. 0-40db. To get more gain you can simply replace R6 with a lower value as long as it sounds good and stays stable.

I wonder how these transformers behave with a microphone. I assume these are designed for a line level source.
A little late, but I only just spotted this. They work excellently with mics and can be very very transparent, or they can get quite 'tapey' in sound if pushed hard, with a 100ish Hz harmonic thump added and a slightly rolled-off top-end. They sound as good as my tube V72s and are also much closer in sound to them than my V672s. People often say 'the best deal in vintage audio', etc, but I wonder whether these actually could be! I have two pairs with OA20 discrete opamps, and they are recapped. They are also probably the easiest 24V modules to DIY, as they are so simply designed.

If used as line pres, they don't have much headroom, so you need to set synth levels (for example) pretty low. IMO, they excel at acoustic, not electric instruments, like other Neumann pres.

PM me if you'd like sound clips.

Last edited by harrypurser; 12th June 2013 at 01:32 PM.. Reason: Forgot something
Old 24th October 2018
Lives for gear

We are with Danner type Equalisers talking about the pique in FM radio broadcast technology from the 1970’s to 1990’s and these tiny modules were built with the highest German to Swiss precision in all manner of details from Filtek to Neumann to numerous brands! (I often wonder why these sound so much better then 500 series equivalents). Certainly those Danner EQ’s were built to be able and managed to squeeze in a serious amount of detail and options, just like anything for broadcast, again they were hot swappable!

Shame they too became something of a serious fashion as 5 years ago they were a few hundred each, if anyone has Filtek Equalisers from MkIV to V I’d love to discuss this or if anyone knows of a Filtek Equaliser link it would be greatly appreciated!

Regards
TLB
Old 14th June 2019
Here for the gear

Neumann V472 Line Amp

Hi harrypurser

Actually, I planned having few of the Neumann V472 Line Amps, connecting them by ''insert'' into my console Channels (Midas XL250). Concerning their limited Headroom on each Channel of the console. What do you advise?

Converting them as Mic Pres or maintaining them as Line Amps
Which Way is the best?

Thank You very much

Last edited by I Am Records; 14th June 2019 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: Clarification

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search