The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
This forum suckz… Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 13th January 2004
One with big hooves

This forum suckz…

What do you want to read/talk/post about? Whatever you want to talk about post it here. Unless you pick an unjustified fight with another GS member I’m not going to ban or edit your post or anything. To be honest I find my forum to be pretty damn boring and semi-non informational. There are lots of things we could be talking about and it seems as though the most interesting threads have NOTHING to do with gear.

Personally speaking…I’d love to see more talk about music that we’re recording or listening to, live sound, techniques of dealing with people on and off the gig, real life audio experiences etc. and general life stuff and less talk about specific gear. I think that the gear specifics as to which piece is preferred for what are pretty well covered by ‘High End’ and Jule’s forums.

Maybe I’m just sick of gear (doubt it) but these days it seems less and less important to me. **** the black boxes, I want to talk about what’s going inside the most important piece of gear that all of us own…

Our brains.

What are your collective thoughts on this?
Old 13th January 2004
chikkenguy
the title of the forum always kind of throws me off. im not really sure if this is supposed to be a digital forum?

just something i notice myself thinking while deciding which forum to click on.

i find psychoacoustics to be pretty interesting, and i think many people know very little about the topic. physiology of the ear... perhaps even more unknown to the people of the audio world.
Old 13th January 2004
Lives for gear

I don't think it's just this forum. Seems to me that there's a general dropping off of useful information in all the places I look. For the most part the same questions come up again and again, especially the, "what's the best...," or, "is this cheap thing as good as...," ones.

Lets face it, pretty much it all comes down to get the best source possible, and stick a mic in front of it. Everything beyond that is a matter of taste, and tastes vary pretty damn widely. I can't think of any single pice of gear that someone doesn't champion, and very few that someone else doesn't slight.

Every time someone mentions a bargain, it makes the used price jump, which may kill the bargain status.

There also seems to be a limit on how much information really can be passed in written format. I was at the compression seminar at Celebration, a few weeks back, and learned some new things. But the word content wasn't much different from what I've read before. Hearing what some knob twisting did to sound on the spot made a big difference.

As far as gear goes, I'll continue trying to get the best stuff in the price ranges I can justify, and to make it work as well as I can.

As far as music in the bastract goes, it's a matter of what hits a nerve at any given time. I never liked much of the Prog stuff that there's a current thread on, but some of it was pretty cool. Same goes for the metal discussions of the past.

I can't really comment much on live sound, since I'm only mixing one band these days. Most of the "venues" in this area have music as an afterthought, and this is reflected in the stage setups and sound systems.
Old 13th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by covert
I don't think it's just this forum. Seems to me that there's a general dropping off of useful information in all the places I look. For the most part the same questions come up again and again, especially the, "what's the best...," or, "is this cheap thing as good as...," ones.
I agree,
Perhaps a new forum geared toward best "______" "______" for"______"
Forum, and perhaps a "vs." forum.
I personally skip over most of those post, as its pretty subjective, and with all of the pertinent details, no one can make a qualified, objective response.

Quote:
Personally speaking…I’d love to see more talk about music that we’re recording or listening to, live sound, techniques of dealing with people on and off the gig, real life audio experiences etc.

Well ok,
I just finished another PBS music show, and im working on a "B side compilation" release for a journeyman, mid level national act.
As far as listening to music, when im not feeling sensory overload, I look out for new in dependant hard rock bands.
But I do read this forum pretty regularly Jay, so don’t be bummed.

Keep up the good work Jay!
Old 13th January 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Sofa King
I agree,
Perhaps a new forum geared toward best "______" "______" for"______"
Forum, and perhaps a "vs." forum.
I personally skip over most of those post, as its pretty subjective, and with all of the pertinent details, no one can make a qualified, objective response.

Duh,
i meant "WITHOUT all of the pertinent details".
See Jay, the forum is busier already!

Sean
Old 14th January 2004
Gear Guru

I like the idea of talking about thing's we've worked on. We could put a subject like "Tells us about an acoustic record you did." Or other styles, talk about dealing with certain instruments. Client types could probably get us rolling in the isles.

P.S.
This is the first forum I check when I'm on the web.
Old 14th January 2004
Gear Nut

Re: This forum suckz…

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
Maybe I’m just sick of gear (doubt it) but these days it seems less and less important to me.
Amen - but isn't that inevitable? Once you have the tools for the job, you start thinking more about the job and less about the tools. I feel exactly the same way - I'm sick of spending more time setting up/learning to use new gear than I do actually recording, so I'm giving the gearlust a break for a while.

Tony, I agree that talking about what we're working on (rather than the latest toy on the market) would be so much more interesting. Waddaya been doin yourself?
Old 14th January 2004
Lives for gear

Jay,

The forum is great. I have posted in the "so much gear...." forum by default. Since I am just a home recording guy, I will try to do a bit more here.

One thing that I would like to see (hear) are posts by members sharing what they recorded, how they did it, equipment used, and links to the actual tunes.

When someone asks how to get a particular sound, It would be great to have someone answer then share a link to and example.

That's it for me.

Jim
Old 15th January 2004
One with big hooves

Covert kind of summed up how I feel. I guess for me it's more of a fustration is seeing lots of "what's the best" posts when there is no "best" tool except the one that lets you do that paticular job better.

Just for example...I can only talk about kick drum mics for so long and I've been doing it for a whole lotta years, starting on rec.audio.pro back in '97 and I was on Craig Andertons's SSS forum well before that. From that respect not much has changed since '97. The D112 is still the D112 and a 421 is still a 421. The difference in mic placement and drum tuning makes a much bigger difference then what mic is used. I'd rather talk about that kind of stuff then X vs. Y just because so much of the gear is meaningless in the long run. We've all heard records mixed on Smackie 8-buss consoles that sound far better then something mixed on an SSL and we can debate that kind of stuff until we're blue in the face. I'm a bit tired of that talk and frankly when I visit my fourm, other forums on GS, PSW etc. I get bored by 90% of what I see and read.
Old 15th January 2004
Gear Guru

Re: Re: This forum suckz…

Quote:
Originally posted by madrigal
Tony, I agree that talking about what we're working on (rather than the latest toy on the market) would be so much more interesting. Waddaya been doin yourself?
Look Here
Old 24th January 2004
Lives for gear

i like this forum and the GS in general

( the only place where i actually hang out ... its just awesome !!! )
having repetative questions ... i guess it will always be that way and for me it just shows that people who havent the " know how " yet are interrested to get it .

theres nothing you can trust more than some people who are doing it for 30+++ years and calling themselfes gearslutz .

this might be boring to the real experienced guys , but you have to ask some " stupid stuff " to learn some more .

the phylosopical site " there is no best of " might be hard to understand . the same counts imho for advices like " well get yourslelf an ibiz or the massive passive " heh

maybe we should have something like an " already asked forum "
where the real informative old threads can be found about ... pres , ad/das , mics etc .

or for the newer members the " search function " should be introduced better ?

my favourite tool nowadays is the chat , people should come in and ask a lot more , so theres not the same posts everyday and their questions would be answered immediately .

just my opinion !

Old 25th January 2004
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by 5down1up
maybe we should have something like an " already asked forum "where the real informative old threads can be found about ... pres , ad/das , mics etc .

or for the newer members the " search function " should be introduced better ?
Funk that.

We should have a link to the rec.audio.pro archives. Once in a while I'll take a question that was posted here and put in there as-is and look at the reponses that come up. Usually PAGES and PAGES worth.

Here ya go...just pop " rec.audio.pro " into the space that says newsgroup

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en
Old 25th January 2004
Lives for gear

I'd like to see a decent guest mod. Several people I bumped into at NAMM come to mind.
Old 26th January 2004
Gear Guru

I'd like to see the guest mod forum come back as well.
Old 27th January 2004
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by RobertPhilbeck
I agree Jay, but it's not because of you. I think most of what your forum is about gets swallowed up by Jules forum. Why don't you do a rebuild? How about refocusing your forum? How about a place for posting mpegs of peoples tunes for critique, but still have the option of talking about budget gear too? Most of the folks needing critiques need advice on budget gear too.
Yeah...A rebuild is in the works, just gotta figure out how to rebuild it.

I can say this, I'm not about to encourage any posting of mixes or song critiques though I'm not going to stop it either. I'm not setup to do that kind of thing with my crappy dialup and $10 computer speakers. Not only that, E Shaun has a forum for that over at PSW. I'd rather do something different.
Old 27th January 2004
Lives for gear

Jay,

It seems like your forum is already improving.

I agree about the critiquing thing, but there is some value in having guys post links to tunes as illustrations of how they achieved a certain sound.

I enjoy the "How do I get this type of sound" threads, especially when guys reply how to do it using budget gear (or home user gear.) When they then post a clip, it just makes it that much better.

Keep up the good work. I enjoy your posts and input!

Jim
Old 28th January 2004
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by jdier
I agree about the critiquing thing, but there is some value in having guys post links to tunes as illustrations of how they achieved a certain sound.

I enjoy the "How do I get this type of sound" threads, especially when guys reply how to do it using budget gear (or home user gear.) When they then post a clip, it just makes it that much better.
How do I, or any other AE get their sounds? Easy. It starts with the player and then I listen. After you get past the bull**** of politics and picking a format, blah blah it's ALL about listening.

What does the end listener, ya know...Johnny in his Bitchin' Camero do when he puts a CD in?

He listens.

IMNSHO If you aren't listening to music and stuff all the time then you aren't really growing. It's fun to listen to stuff and reverse engineer it. Figure out why and how those sounds work together. It's pretty safe to assume that you can't plop the drum sound from Who's Next into a Dream Theatre recording. But why?

Start to identify that kind of stuff, the reasons...and then figure out how to twist the knobs to make it happen. That's 90% of the battle.

Damn, I feel like I'm on GI Joe...

"Knowing is half the battle"

LMFBO
Old 1st February 2004
Lives for gear

I know its not possible for everyone but people seem to flock to anything they can hear--instead of read. I mean how much can you talk about sound?

How bout posting your lastest vocal track--and name the gear and techniques you used---or post a before and after of a kick drum you couldnt get right until you added so and so peice of gear to the chain

talking about gear is fun if you can hear it too---who else is tired of hearing--"oh it so warm and very musical". That has got to take the cake as the fruitiest thing you could say
Old 2nd February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
It's pretty safe to assume that you can't plop the drum sound from Who's Next into a Dream Theatre recording. But why?
Cause Mike Portnoy would fire you if you tried.

No, i really mean it!grudge
Old 3rd February 2004
Gear Maniac
Most people want to live life in the fast lane, so.....

Why not rename the forum "future high enders".
Old 8th February 2004
Lives for gear

Two things that interest me that have been mentioned here are some guest moderators- and psychoacoustics! Which utterly fascinates me.

The forum title makes me think it's about getting good drums and guitar sounds to digital... is it really? Rhetorical question.
Old 10th February 2004
One with big hooves

Well, good sounds are good sounds regardless of format. I've done things on analog and digital that have fooled people in both directions. Don't forget, Steely Dan was making analog sound like digital well before digital was a twitch in some geeks brain...just go and break out Aja...
Old 21st February 2004
Gear Addict

How about a forum where no equipment is named? We all talk about techniques instead of gear. We could say something like: "I put my overheads out in front of kit instead of over head"

Or

"I tracked the electric guitar by combining a compressed DI track and a mic 1' from the amp"

No mics, no preamps, no compressors, just techniques.
Old 23rd February 2004
Could be good.....
Old 23rd February 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by lefthando
How about a forum where no equipment is named? We all talk about techniques instead of gear. We could say something like: "I put my overheads out in front of kit instead of over head"

Or

"I tracked the electric guitar by combining a compressed DI track and a mic 1' from the amp"

No mics, no preamps, no compressors, just techniques.
the "name no names" forum! I like it!
Old 2nd March 2004
Gear Nut

recording and mixing techniques??? that would be interesting. How comfortable would you be about including mastering as well??

Brad B probably covers mastering enough at PSW but there isn't much around for recording and mixing techniques. Specially for the smaller guy. God forbid if I asked for help on a Protools Mix over at PSW.
Old 4th March 2004
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by peterr
Brad B probably covers mastering enough at PSW but there isn't much around for recording and mixing techniques. Specially for the smaller guy. God forbid if I asked for help on a Protools Mix over at PSW.
Well Alsihad sucks ass IMNSHO but I wouldn't trash you for using it. I can see it's power and it is a good power for some things. MOA is inherently evil so it's tough for me to have ANY love for their products. Back before the diary chronicles started Mixermans forum was for and about techniques.

I miss those days.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search