The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
atc scm 20 speakers Channel Strip Plugins
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

atc scm 20 speakers

hello,

i am in the market for new speakers to mix and master on. From doing a lot of reading i think i am going to go for a pair of atc scm 20 speakers.

My question is what is the difference betweeh the old ones that look like hifi speakers like this one at ebay at the moment - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...1745&rd=1&rd=1

and the new more plastic looking ones like this on la pro audio - http://www.lasvegasproaudio.com/scm20sl.html

I would rather get active ones and i would rather get used ones,

can someone give me some advice.

Many thanks
K
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

i believe the difference between the old hifi ones you've linked to and the new ones is the "SL" demarcation- stands for super linear- that is the whole genius of the speakers afaik- and i've been told that the 20ASL are Billy's signature box (from the man himself at the aes). i have a pair of 20ASL's that rule- very deep listening boxes- will put the hurting on most music sonically (and lp's rule the nation sonically over cd's anyday...). and try listening to your ipod on them- ouch... but MFSL dark side of the moon off the vinyl = PURE FRICKIN BLISS!!! it's a completely different album. man i love my atc's- i want the big boyz for my new room (150, the new 110's). good luck finding used 20asl's... can't see why anyone would sell them... enjoy pram
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

While there are often differences between different examples of the same model of ATC speaker, the cosmetic difference between the wood "hi fi" line and the grey "pro" line don't impact the sound all that much. The hi fi line tends to be priced a bit higher, as the wood exteriors cost more to produce than the elephant grey exteriors of the pro line. It also may be that there's more markup in the hi-fi line. But both the hi-fi and pro-lines sound similarly wonderful.

Two things to look for are whether the speaker is active or passive. Both of the examples you linked to are passive. The other thing is whether the speaker incorporates ATC's "SL" technology which helps minimize their already minimized levels of distortion to an extent that is rare in any speaker. I believe that anything built after a certain year (is it around 7 or so years ago?) incorporates the SL technology for the mids.

Pretty much everything ATC makes is very good, and I guess you'd want to pair any of their passive speakers with decent power to get the full effect.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I believe all passive crossover 20SL's will have wood cabinets.

The Active 20 have cast aluminum cabinets.

I have SCM 20 SL's and I like them a lot.

What you need to ask the seller is if they're SL's

I don't know what year they introduced the Super Linear driver, but it's important.

He seems to be referring to a 1990 article which may give you some insight as to the age of these speakers.

I see more passive 20 SL's come up used than I see active ones.

As far as I know the drivers in the pro and home audio versions are the same for a given year/model.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper View Post
I believe all passive crossover 20SL's will have wood cabinets.

The Active 20 have cast aluminum cabinets.
ATC now makes 2 pro versions of the 20s: active and passive (referring to onboard amplifiication or lack of it). The active version - what you have I believe - are those sloped, sci-fi looking things; the passive version are more conventional rectangles.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

hi, i know they are both passive speakers, i have never seen the active ones used. Im in a position where i have a few thousand pounds to spend on speakers and i dont want to by the wrong ones as this is the only chance to spend this much.

I see that there is also a T version that seem to be tall. So from what i gather is it correct that there are news ones (sl) and old ones that aren't. And in each of theses there are active, passive, tall and short ones.

Anyone in the uk want to sell a pair of active ones to me really cheap.?

Thanks
K
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post
hi, i know they are both passive speakers, i have never seen the active ones used. Im in a position where i have a few thousand pounds to spend on speakers and i dont want to by the wrong ones as this is the only chance to spend this much.

I see that there is also a T version that seem to be tall. So from what i gather is it correct that there are news ones (sl) and old ones that aren't. And in each of theses there are active, passive, tall and short ones.

Thanks
K
Sort of.

There are 2 general lines: pro and hi-fi. I'm not sure what the T is, that may be some distinction in the hi-fi line. I am most familiar with the pro line.

The SL refers to an innovative method ATC developed for reducing distortion by using ceramics. In a sense, you could divide ATC's speakers into those produced before and after this innovation. While the SL technology represents an obvious step forward, the company has made a number of less-publicized incremental improvements to their speakers over the years. Billy Woodman is a perfectionist, and is constantly perfecting his speakers.

As I recall, all the active 20s, which look futuristic and not at all like ATC's typical box speakers (actually, ATC has made a few funky looking speakers over the years) includes the SL technology. And the passive version of the 20s in the pro line are a more recent product. Thus, come to think of it, any ATC 20 speaker in the pro line should include the SL technology.

In the hi-fi line, I'm not so sure. Maybe there are passive 20s in the hi-fi line that pre-date SL.

If you're going to get the 20s and don't already have a nice amplifier you want to use with them, then I'd recommend the 20As (actives). ATC does a really nice job of marrying the drivers to the amps in the 20As and for studio nearfields, they're great. Some people carry them around with them, although they are heavy, heavier than they look based on size. Still, the benefits of ATC's internal amps - each driver has its own amp - is worth the extra cost IMHO. The 20As are just a fantastically made speaker.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

thanks a lot for this info, I think i will get the active ones, i will keep my eye open for some used ones, if i cant get any in a couple of months i will buy some new ones.

Thanks again

K
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Good luck with that. It's hard to imagine someone not being happy with them.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

atc scm20 t

hi i have seen a pair that are on ebay at the moment, active ones but they are the tall ones, someone told me the tall ones have more low end, but on the atc site the quoted freq responce is the same for both tall and short.

As i plan to use them for studio monitors i think the tall mones may be a bit too small to sat at ear height, does anyone think it will make a difference to the sound if i buy the tall ones and then stick them on some kind of box ( obviously full of sand or made of breeze blocks or something ).

Many thanks

Kenny
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

tall atc

bump please
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

There are floor-standing 20's and they do make them in an active version; I think this is the only active, wood cabinet 20 model.

They sound like ATC 20's. The wood cabinets are built like brick sh!thouses. As long as they have the SL drivers, and you're OK with the cabinet configuration, I say go for it. They're sort of like little versions of the 50 ASL.
Old 18th January 2007
Gear Addict

thanks man, if the dude accepts my offer hopefully i will get them,

Thanks again,

K
Old 21st January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleod View Post

Thanks
K
Hello there

PM'D you with a possible contact

regards
Lyn
Old 25th January 2007
Gear Addict

thanks hopefully the sale on ebay has gone through and i havent been ripped off.

K
Old 18th September 2015
Here for the gear

Has any one here happen to listen to the latest ATC SCM20SL Pro version with in-house built tweeter?The new version has a slightly larger box and lighter in weight as compared to the previous model.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search