The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Suggestions for adat converter w/ analog I/O @ 96k
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Guru

Suggestions for adat converter w/ analog I/O @ 96k

I have no immediate need, but I want to get a box that has 8 analog inputs a that I can output into my Metric Halo 2882 via adat lightpipe at 96k. Or rather 4 inputs for SMUX at 96k. Or something that has built in mic pres so I can use 4 channels of Millennia and if I really need additional I can use the built in.

I currently use Motu 2408mkII for 48k. I already have 18 analog I/O at 96k. I rarely need more than that, so there's nothing pressing.

For a minute I was excited about the M-Audio Profire Lightbridge, but it has no analog I/O.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
I have no immediate need, but I want to get a box that has 8 analog inputs a that I can output into my Metric Halo 2882 via adat lightpipe at 96k. Or rather 4 inputs for SMUX at 96k. Or something that has built in mic pres so I can use 4 channels of Millennia and if I really need additional I can use the built in.

I currently use Motu 2408mkII for 48k. I already have 18 analog I/O at 96k. I rarely need more than that, so there's nothing pressing.

For a minute I was excited about the M-Audio Profire Lightbridge, but it has no analog I/O.
Well, there are a lot of choices if you get a unit without mic pre's, Lynx and Apogee make units that have 8 channel SMUX I/O. I would personally go this route and get a good 4 channel pre-amp of your choice.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Guru

Thanks! As I said, I already have the Millennia 4 channel Quad mic pre. It's racked right underneath the Metric Halo. So it's ready. But those units are more pricewise than I need to spend for what I need, I'm sure.

I'm looking in the $500 territory, used maybe. But yes, I don't need the pres.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm looking in the $500 territory, used maybe.
If you're happy with the quality of your 2408, you might want to pick up a MkIII box only. They're around $700 new so I'd imagine there may be used ones floating around for about $500. They're a step up from the MkII quality-wise and they do S/MUX. I'd assume that they'll do it in standalone mode as well (I had the system a while back but never used it as a standalone converter, just an interface).

Other than that, the only one I can think of offhand in that price range is the DigimaxFS from Presonus, which has preamps built in but does do S/MUX...

-Duardo
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Guru

Well let me put it this way: I'm not happy with the quality of the 2408mkII, but it'd do, since I'm looking at, "in a pinch." I already have high quality 18 I/O. This'd be above and beyond all that.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Henry,

Tho they're getting rare, try to find a Ramsa WZ96AD-M: they'll do Smux, and street price about $600 or so.

I love mine, and the pre's are pretty fair too (much better than the MOTU's).

Good luck finding them tho! They are real sleepers IMO...
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Guru

Thanks! Just a cursory look there's pretty much no information on it. But since I am in no hurry maybe the search can be a special project!
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Thanks! Just a cursory look there's pretty much no information on it. But since I am in no hurry maybe the search can be a special project!
Henry,

Seems the link on Panasonic's site is dead - here's the manual (pdf):

http://www.usersmanualguide.com/pana..._a_d_converter

edit - oops - no analog outs on this unit - just digital out (AES/EBU and lightpipe) - don't know if this scraps the idea, but thought I'd mention it...

cheers

Last edited by PlugHead; 17th January 2007 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: re-read thread title (no analog outs)
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Guru

Nah. I don't need analog outs. I need analog inputs and Adat outs.

I'll check out the manuals. Thanks.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Guru

Damn. This is the one I want. Two AES/EBU I/O as well? I could definitely use that.

Come on. Sell me yours!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search