The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
at4060 - poor mans c800g
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

at4060 - poor mans c800g

I heard alot of people compare these 2 mics is there any similarities between them in sound or are they just similar looking.

Thanks

Bendecido
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

totally different. i don't know where you got your information but it's wrong.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

poor mans c800 is more the Peluso 22-251
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

seen. i was misinformed. i have the pleuso 22 251 i wouldnt call it the poor mans c800g high end might be similar but the low end is completely different
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

4060 sounds nothing like the C800g, IMO.

the C800 is a HUGE sound...the 4060 is more of a warm middy focused sound.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

maybe with a high self at 12-16k at 12db.....A couple of studios Ive worked at have moved from a 4060 to an 800g as they upgrade. I always thought that the 4060 could work with more singers, the 800g seems to distort on louder singers.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

I don't understand why people hate on the c800g, I don't mean any of you in this thread. But i have run across people who said it sucks and sounds like plastic. Lol i wonder if them people really ever used one or could afford it at that and are just showing hate cause they cant afford it. I have a c800g and it sounds fantastic for pop/rap/rnb style music. If you used it and thought it sucked well than your an idiot and if you dont know how to drive a ferrari dont drive it and stick to your budget nissians 4060.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

C-800 is the "shizzle"
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearobsessed View Post
i wonder if them people really ever used one or could afford it at that and are just showing hate cause they cant afford it.
you are probably right on the mark. most people cannot afford a c800g (i have personally never used one and can't afford one) so they slam it for no reason and with no knowledge of the actual mic.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearobsessed View Post
I don't understand why people hate on the c800g, I don't mean any of you in this thread. But i have run across people who said it sucks and sounds like plastic. Lol i wonder if them people really ever used one or could afford it at that and are just showing hate cause they cant afford it. I have a c800g and it sounds fantastic for pop/rap/rnb style music. If you used it and thought it sucked well than your an idiot and if you dont know how to drive a ferrari dont drive it and stick to your budget nissians 4060.
Although I agree with you Completely...

Please don't hate on the AT-4060 man. Thats still a high quality peice of equipment that has been used on some seriously good recordings. (Including Overheads which I love them For)

Still c800g Reins in Bl**d =)
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

The 251 suggestion is a good one. Had the C800g side by side with a Lawson 251 and very very close, tad more color on the Lawson. Look for a used Lawson L251 or the Soundelux version's hover in the 3+k range. Have not tried the Peluso. The Sony is a fine mic, don't know why folks slam it, just kinda funky looking with that fin sticking out.

Just sold my AT4060 due to non-usage, it was a fine mic, great value, but it's no Sony800g, not close. Anytime the AT4060 was set-up, we always chose a 47.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lane thaw View Post
The 251 suggestion is a good one. Had the C800g side by side with a Lawson 251 and very very close, tad more color on the Lawson. Look for a used Lawson L251 or the Soundelux version's hover in the 3+k range. Have not tried the Peluso. The Sony is a fine mic, don't know why folks slam it, just kinda funky looking with that fin sticking out.
hmm interesting u say the lawson 251 sounded similar to the c800g im assumin this is with the +bass switch on. because in normal mode the 251 filters out sum bass frequencies and therefore it(or the real 251 or any other clone for that matter)is not known for its capturing of low frequency sound.

I could see how with improved low frequency response a 251 could sound similar to the c800g.

<br>
How similar were the two mics? was there a discernible difference or was it really similar sounding. this is interesting to me. could indeed be a cheaper way to get that c800g sound that is so prominent on countless major releases( for half the price)
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post
Please don't hate on the AT-4060 man. Thats still a high quality peice of equipment that has been used on some seriously good recordings.
The 4060 is AMAZING on people with small, shrill, or thinnish voices. In these scenerios, it's hard to beat with ANY other mic. It has a warm thick sound.

Sound like a Sony....no.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search