The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Problems you forsee with this Horn set-up?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Problems you forsee with this Horn set-up?

I will be recording horns in my living room. I have attached pics so that someone might tell me problems that I am going to run into. I am going to use a Shiny Box Ribbon with the Lundahl transformer for sax (at least that is what I am going to start with). I will probably use a ribbon on the Trumpet as well...maybe the same mic since I have two. The trumpet mic stand doesn't have the mic on it yet but you can see about where I am going to put it. We talked and since we aren't going to be using charts we felt like being able to look at each other would be great. I put a shield around the sax mic to keep it somewhat isolated and then draped towels over it to reduce the box'y sound. Let me know if you see any other things I can do to keep a line of sight and make it sound better. The room has a vaulted ceiling and doesn't sound bad but it doesn't sound like a million dollar studio either...but it is what I have for tomorrow. Thanks guys! btw, the track is very Prince "Musicology'ish".

Mic's that I have are SM7B, two Shinybox 47L, 121, Audio Technica 4060, and 57's. The pre I will be using is an MP2NV.
Attached Thumbnails
Problems you forsee with this Horn set-up?-horn-mics-side.jpg   Problems you forsee with this Horn set-up?-horn-mics-bird.jpg   Problems you forsee with this Horn set-up?-horn-room-rear.jpg  

Last edited by bdunard; 16th January 2007 at 02:31 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

If they're good players, it'll sound OK. Might be a bit dull or low-mid sounding from all the fabric and carpet and stuff. Try putting a LDC condensor in the kitchen area for a room mic.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

well if you drink that bottle of booze on the table prior to the session you might have problems. heh

Just kidding. I can't tell from this picture without being in the room to hear how it sounds. Have you recorded in there before? With towels on the mic and pillows on the floor near the bottom of the mic stands/gobos...it looks like you know the room and how to record in it. Have fun.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

That 12" skillet might cause some unwanted refections...

Some generalities: If the room sound isn't good, try to get a dry signal. I love ribbons on horns (smooth top), but it might not sound good if it's too roomy. Ribbons are usually figure 8 pattern as well, so you're going to pick up the room a lot more. SM7 might be better. Probably great on sax with your mic pres. Also, use the off-axis rejection to your advantage, but judging by the pictures you know this already.

Then if you need more ambience you could throw I mic over there by the sink and mix to taste

Have fun dude
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankdoc View Post
If they're good players, it'll sound OK. Might be a bit dull or low-mid sounding from all the fabric and carpet and stuff. Try putting a LDC condensor in the kitchen area for a room mic.
It's the late great James Brown's band leader on trumpet and his sax player on tenor and bari.

I have only recorded drums in this room once (I don't really record hear ever...don't want to get in the habit of musicans coming to my house)

I can't remember exactly how the drums came out because it was done for a friend and he took the tracks.

I am thinking about going horns side by side if there is some bad comb filtering...since we will be layering. Thanks for the input!
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdunard View Post
It's the late great James Brown's band leader on trumpet

Hollie Farris? Nice.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Are those ribbons figure 8, like most ribbons? Cause if so, that sax mic's gonna pick up a lot of trumpet.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berolzheimer View Post
Are those ribbons figure 8, like most ribbons? Cause if so, that sax mic's gonna pick up a lot of trumpet.
I am switching the Sax to a SM7 or an Audio Technica 4060 because of that very reason.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flail19 View Post
Hollie Farris? Nice.
Yes it is going to be Hollie and Waldo. Should be fun! Maybe I'll post some clips when I get a rough mix done.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes it is going to be Hollie and Waldo. Should be fun! Maybe I'll post some clips when I get a rough mix done.
Please do!
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's the late great James Brown's band leader on trumpet and his sax player on tenor and bari.

Well then, its gonna sound great no matter what. Just relax knowing all you can do is screw it up.. haha (joke),
as you prolly know, mic placement is everything. Hopefully you have a little time to experiement with mic placements. If you're gonna use one mic for the sax, Ive always found the sweet spot to be pointed between the fingerboard and bell.
Man, congrats you get to record good msucians, what a treat.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I'm actually a musician/songwriter who chooses to record his own songs. Hollie and I have worked together before as players and we love alot of the same music so it just worked out. From being a player I have met tons of great players (living in Nashville doesn't hurt either). There a plenty of players here in Nashville who have moved from New York and L.A. because they didn't want to raise their kids there...the nice thing is they still play great and they are 15 minutes down the road.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search