The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
KRK's used to use Focal driver (if I'm correct), so do the speakers sound similar?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

KRK's used to use Focal driver (if I'm correct), so do the speakers sound similar?

I've read several times that the KRK tweeter and woofers were based (or exactly) Focal drivers. So do they sound similar?
KRK and Focals, that is.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Nooooooooooo

When i last tried to get KRK replacement tweeters...i was told they were waiting for them to come in from China

I dont think Focal is chinese
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

It wasn't anything from their new line. AND actually I think KRK's management/ownership changed around 5 years ago. The same time they started focusing on entry level monitors (with the exception of the E8t). Their previous line 6000b. 7000b, 9000b, were VERY high quality monitors. That's were there is a Focal connection.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Focal used to OEM components to KRK. This was back in the day when Keith Klawitter started, ran, and designed the products for the company. Something went bad and Focal stopped supplying drivers to them. I believe this is after Stanton bought the company and ****ed it up beyond repair. They then started using Chinese products in their lower end lines and pretty much stopped anything to do with the high end product. The company now sucks and every product they makes suck ass. Keith and Craig were the guys who built great speakers with great components. Not it is just a formerly famous good name with absolute junk for parts.

To answer the question? I haven't a/b them side by side but considering the drivers and the design and the quality of the Focal product I would venture to say that it sounds better than the former glory days of KRK.

Michael Greene
Old 16th January 2007
Here for the gear

Totally agree.

I have 6000b, 9000b in the studio. Sound absolutetly great but impossible to maintain/repair because of the focal elements they used then.

Had a pair of the newer V6's and had to return them because the built in amps were totally out of alignment between the bass and treble speaker despite numerous visits to the shop tech.
The speaker cabinet itself started to rattle as well above moderate levels due to badly designed and loose pcb boards inside the amps.
Not even comparable to the old line with quality components and design.
Focal is french and is generally concidered top of the line audiophile speakers.
Old 10th December 2016
I have had my modded KRK 6000 for a while now. The 2-way midbass speaker got replaced with a PMC one and the tweeters are either original ones or the similar yellow Focal ones. The high is very extended and natural, not tiresome. However after these speakers I can not go back to my main 8" ones. Hovever they lack the bass so I almost always use them with a subwoofer, unless im recording vocals. But everything that is mastered good sounds good in them, anything less than that sounds exactly what I just wrote The amplification part of my KRK 6000 PMC MOD is dealt by QUAD 306 AMP.

Recently I purchased another pair of modded KRK 6000 by Focal-JMLab components. People online were acting weird over this mod, but I think the speakers are either very good and unique, or total crap. I assume the only way they are crap if I cant manage them to sound like I need to if i decide to swap out the drivers or to choose a proper amp. The crossover frequency is not known to me, I just know that its approximately around 2400Hz.

I need help in "Identifyinging the Beast"! I was looking for images of different drivers and speakers and could only find resemblance to JMLab FOCAL COBALT, FOCAL TC 120 tweeters, JMLab CHORUS 707 speaker's tweeters. I would not have access to them for another month, so I just want to address issues if there are any.. And what preamp would you recommend. I couldnt use them with my trusty and fabulous QUAD 306.

PLEASE HELP ME IDENTIFY THESE (the description upon my purchase said: "The tweeters upgraded to modded TI Jmlabs. Midbass replaced with similar Focal's"):
Attached Thumbnails
KRK's used to use Focal driver (if I'm correct), so do the speakers sound similar?-custom-krk-6000-focal-jmlab.jpg  
Old 7th December 2019
Here for the gear
Hello
I own a pair of krk 6000 and I would like to add a sub,
At that time which one was the sub for those speakers? Or today which one would you use?
Thanks
Gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertRyda View Post
I have had my modded KRK 6000 for a while now. The 2-way midbass speaker got replaced with a PMC one and the tweeters are either original ones or the similar yellow Focal ones. The high is very extended and natural, not tiresome. However after these speakers I can not go back to my main 8" ones. Hovever they lack the bass so I almost always use them with a subwoofer, unless im recording vocals. But everything that is mastered good sounds good in them, anything less than that sounds exactly what I just wrote The amplification part of my KRK 6000 PMC MOD is dealt by QUAD 306 AMP.

Recently I purchased another pair of modded KRK 6000 by Focal-JMLab components. People online were acting weird over this mod, but I think the speakers are either very good and unique, or total crap. I assume the only way they are crap if I cant manage them to sound like I need to if i decide to swap out the drivers or to choose a proper amp. The crossover frequency is not known to me, I just know that its approximately around 2400Hz.

I need help in "Identifyinging the Beast"! I was looking for images of different drivers and speakers and could only find resemblance to JMLab FOCAL COBALT, FOCAL TC 120 tweeters, JMLab CHORUS 707 speaker's tweeters. I would not have access to them for another month, so I just want to address issues if there are any.. And what preamp would you recommend. I couldnt use them with my trusty and fabulous QUAD 306.

PLEASE HELP ME IDENTIFY THESE (the description upon my purchase said: "The tweeters upgraded to modded TI Jmlabs. Midbass replaced with similar Focal's"):
Old 10th December 2019
Lives for gear

Interesting. I have some old V4s (dark grey, black tweeter, V4 logo top left), and while I don’t use them as main monitors, I was always impressed with the sound from those small things. Useful to check more consumer-y hype-y low-ish end.

I heard their later offerings and found them much less impressive.

Wonder if that coincides with the change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJGreene Audio View Post
Focal used to OEM components to KRK. This was back in the day when Keith Klawitter started, ran, and designed the products for the company. Something went bad and Focal stopped supplying drivers to them. I believe this is after Stanton bought the company and ****ed it up beyond repair. They then started using Chinese products in their lower end lines and pretty much stopped anything to do with the high end product. The company now sucks and every product they makes suck ass. Keith and Craig were the guys who built great speakers with great components. Not it is just a formerly famous good name with absolute junk for parts.

To answer the question? I haven't a/b them side by side but considering the drivers and the design and the quality of the Focal product I would venture to say that it sounds better than the former glory days of KRK.

Michael Greene
Old 10th December 2019
Used E8 and 6000’s as well. The 6000’s where awesome at the time.
Focal has gone through changes as well. I personally liked the older drivers (high and low) better than the newer ones. The titanium inverted tweeter never really worked for me. But the older yellow Kevlar one I thought was very nice.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

The V6S4 is still pretty awesome. Other current KRKs are solid performers too but I think that's the most even overall one.

Many of the current KRK monitors are actually very good and I like them more than any Focal. They're simply more pleasant to listen to and work on. The Rokit 5 G4s (port issues but the bigger ones have major suckout), the V6 S4, and the V8 S4 (upper mid scoop but it sounds good) are all good with some caveats. They just have durability issues I've experienced with the internal electronics that I simply haven't experienced in other budget brands like JBL and Yamaha. That being said, I think the V6S4 is a far better sounding speaker than the A7X and KH120 for around 1200 dollars. It's not nearly as detailed as the 2k a pair soft domes from Quested, ATC, and Dynaudio but performs very well for it's price bracket.

If Gibson can fix the durability and include some beefy, quiet Class AB amps in the new Exposes, they will be awesome.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search