The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
good preamp for recording synths and keyboards
Old 9th December 2012
Cool stuff! Thanks guys!
Old 9th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwiburger View Post
Maybe a Rupert Neve Portico 5012. It has fairly high input impedance (10K from memory) that means it can function as a line amp as well as a mic amp. The Silk button switches in some harmonic distortion, more like the old Neves. With Silk off, it's a more modern clean sound.
+1

This is what I'm using as well as a few choice DIs for flavor
Old 9th January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyklane View Post
+1

This is what I'm using as well as a few choice DIs for flavor
What DIs? Are you using them with the Portico, or stand alone?
Old 9th January 2013
Lives for gear
I had both a API 512c and a great river for this job. Had to get rid of one after 3 years and kept the great river. Not only is it good for analog synths its great for running sample synths through and back in as we'll as kick samples and snares with the gain cranked. The API is great but I find the great river to be a if I only had one type pre. A stereo pair for stereo and buss duties would be great. It slays though for mono bass synths! I find myself printing my soft synth mono bass through it frequently with awesome results! Plus it has a great DI so no need to buy more gear.

The only thing I miss the api512c for is electric guitars...the GR just doesn't do DI electrics as well IMO...mixed cabs however is a different story
Old 10th January 2013
Gear Guru

the CAPI VP312 DI input is perfect for my synths! I used a Cinemag input transformer, compared to the "stock" unit. I also love it on bass and direct electric guitar. I bet any high end preamp and DI would be fine.
Old 10th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnypete View Post
I have a Moog Little Phatty and I run it through a Vintech 573 -> API 550B, sounds great to me. Thumbsup for Neve-style pres and API eqs.

Sent from my Droid
Funny that you say that.... Similar in principe here:

Moog Slim Phatty---->Demeter Tube Direct---->Neve 5012

LUSCIOUS!
Old 10th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnypete View Post
What DIs? Are you using them with the Portico, or stand alone?
Sorry, missed this... Usually my Demeter Tube direct...Into the Neve....It has a "Boost" function that adds nice harmonics(but reduces bandwidth to 20-20k from 8-80k) so there are two flavored there, my other two favorites are the inexpensive and studio-standard Countryman Type 85 FET Direct Box, as well as a custom passive DI I built with a Lundahl on the input and an old Ampeg can trafo I had from some busted kit on output...

If you want cheap and clean(and very good): countryman
If you have $$$ and want one of the best: Demeter VTDB

Last edited by jimmyklane; 10th January 2013 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: Edited for clarity
Old 13th January 2013
Gear Maniac

seriously VSTi synth through mic preamp sounds awesome experiment but is it really such a difference ? like 5%, 20%, 40% ? does it make VSTi Arturia Jupiter-8V or Prophet-V sound like the real vintage thing i would do anything to make VSTi sound more like real vintage analog... the question is proportion between VSTi sound improvment for bucks... i believe some people are ready to spend 2500 USD on mic preamp to make VSTi 10% bassier and punchier but thats like crazy budget, unless you use the mic preamp on other things in your studio i wonder how much can VSTi through good mic-preamp improve... anyone dare to describe the difference ?
Old 14th January 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizpulyn View Post
seriously VSTi synth through mic preamp sounds awesome experiment but is it really such a difference ? like 5%, 20%, 40% ? does it make VSTi Arturia Jupiter-8V or Prophet-V sound like the real vintage thing i would do anything to make VSTi sound more like real vintage analog... the question is proportion between VSTi sound improvment for bucks... i believe some people are ready to spend 2500 USD on mic preamp to make VSTi 10% bassier and punchier but thats like crazy budget, unless you use the mic preamp on other things in your studio i wonder how much can VSTi through good mic-preamp improve... anyone dare to describe the difference ?
The difference is probably harmonic distortion... You may have some trouble with the latency of triggering the softsynth, D/A, preamp, A/D if you're looking to do this "live".... But that's not a problem if you render it to audio and then run it thru your preamp... Many preamps have EQ and that is also a great way to get your tone in the analog domain and sometimes you can get a sweeter high end using a nice analog vs a plug-in..... Of course the EQ part is subjective opinion, but when I personally use a preamp for one of my synths (hardware or software) I run it pretty hot to get coloration that plugins tend to struggle with...
Old 14th January 2013
Lives for gear

Old thread LOL.

I use Radial JD6 and a rack of SCA N72's or a MA5's.
Old 14th January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
pair of 512's in a lunchbox with room to put in a few 550A's
This is pretty great on analog synths and drum machines. This combo totally transformed my DSI Tempest.
Old 15th January 2013
Lives for gear

Love our chandler germanium 500 (MKI) thru the DI. You can crank the feedback for richness. If you can get a culture vulture, that would be great too.
Old 15th January 2013
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortstory View Post
Love our chandler germanium 500 (MKI) thru the DI. You can crank the feedback for richness. If you can get a culture vulture, that would be great too.
I was considering the Lil Devil pre for the same feature. How audible is the change when tweaking the feedback control?

Sent from my Droid

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search