The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM7B - What do you like about it.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

SM7B - What do you like about it.

Just ordered one for my vocal.

What do you guys use it on with success?

What do you like about it?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post
Vocals

Quote:
Everything
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

Wut pre are you using with it? Im using it with a TG 2 and i can never seem to get enuff gain with it.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibby View Post
Wut pre are you using with it? Im using it with a TG 2 and i can never seem to get enuff gain with it.
75dB of input gain isn't enough? your mic or mic pre (or both) has a problem. unless you're recording some whispering asshole vocalist who has no idea what he's doing, of course. and on louder sources like a smokin' guitar amp, you should never need to be anywhere NEAR that much gain.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by quietdrive View Post
Vocals

Everything
Same here!

I love it through the Chandler ltd1. cool combo.

Gibby, there must be something wrong somewhere in your chain...that's just not possible.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
You'll need about 60db for the SM7.. you should be able to get that with the TG2.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

wen i turn up the gain to get a decent signal, i get this hiss sound from the mic. Its definitely not the pre coz i use it all the time with a u195 and josephsons with great results. But i havent tried the mic on loud sources yet, just voice overs. I'm gonna try recording a guitar amp 2morrow. if that dont work, i'll send it back for replacement.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
i use an sm-7b with my tg-2 for quiet vocals with no problem
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

i've started really liking it on kick drum. it lets me shape the signal a little better than D112, my previously preferred mic.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
wen i turn up the gain to get a decent signal, i get this hiss sound from the mic. Its definitely not the pre coz i use it all the time with a u195 and josephsons with great results. But i havent tried the mic on loud sources yet, just voice overs. I'm gonna try recording a guitar amp 2morrow. if that dont work, i'll send it back for replacement.
There must be something wrong either with your mic or pre...

The sm7b is a dynamic mic so it obviously requires a lot more gain than your soundelux and josephsons but the hiss is NOT normal, I just plugged in an sm7b an hour ago into the TG2 to check and had no problem...

I've used the sm7b for voice overs and it always worked like a charm.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

SM7B and LTD-1 , great combo !!!!
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by tree montgomery View Post
SM7B and LTD-1 , great combo !!!!

I love it too!!
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
2-610
Sytek
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

Brand new SM7-B thru a Pacifica thru a bluestripe 1176 = deadly on vocals!
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

fail safe vocal mic . Its "ok " on everything else , not the best .
It probably is the best " all purpose " mic that I ve used .
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just ordered one for my vocal.
Welcome to the club!

Quote:
Vocals obviously, acoustic guitar, dobro, percussion, floor toms, Fender amps (usually in tandem with a 421), kick

Quote:
The separation you get is pretty amazing, it's ideal for singer/songwriter stuff with live vocals/acoustic guitar and I had 2 singers going at the same time facing each other for duet or background purposes where almost total seperation was achieved.

I really like the 'warm but crisp' nature of the SM7 sound thru a good preamp.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Addict

Great mic all around. Love it on male vocs with tube compression. Not bad on guitar but prefer a stock 57.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

I wonder how you use your SM7 in terms of the windshield: with that "giant & round" or with other - the thinner one ?

Thanks

S
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
wen i turn up the gain to get a decent signal, i get this hiss sound from the mic. Its definitely not the pre coz i use it all the time with a u195
That...is the pre, my friend. Your condenser mics don't need as much gain--thus the noise, which is only noticable at extremes of the gain.

I use it with my Hv3 and my LA610 (very different sounds/gain structures)...no hiss.

try this...don't plug a mic in...turn the pre knob all the way up and see how much hiss is there.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by popmann View Post
That...is the pre, my friend. Your condenser mics don't need as much gain--thus the noise, which is only noticable at extremes of the gain.

I use it with my Hv3 and my LA610 (very different sounds/gain structures)...no hiss.

try this...don't plug a mic in...turn the pre knob all the way up and see how much hiss is there.
Thanks. I thought about that and tried it last night, I get hiss when i turn the input up to 75 and the output all the way to 10. But thats normal, isnt it? Are you saying my preamp is faulty?. Anyways, a friend of mine at another studio loves it on rap vocals and sometimes for VO work (mainly when its a deep male voice). I'm replacing mine today, I'll see what happens.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

What I like about the SM7B is that it sounds like a more Hi-Fi version of the SM57. Good on vocals and the frequency boost selectors can instantly give it some different character instantly.
A very smart sounding piece of equipment for the price.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I have heard it can smooth out otherwise bright sounding rock guitar cabs?

Any expereinces using it to mic marshalls and mesas?

Last edited by uptoolate; 16th January 2007 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Love it on vocals, electric guitars, bass sometimes, and I've used it on kick to good effect more than once. Desert island microphone.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search