The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sonar 6.0// 64 bit Windows//MOTU 24 I/O. More problems. Argh. Help.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Sonar 6.0// 64 bit Windows//MOTU 24 I/O. More problems. Argh. Help.

First off, I'm running an AMD Athalon 4300 Dual Core setup. I have 2 gigs of RAM.
Also; I am running a 64 bit windows setup. Also, using MOTU 24 I/O and Sonar 6 producer.

When I exported a track out to a wave it took about 10 minutes for 200megs to dump to a wave. I think that's right. The entire audio file for the project is a little over 1 gig for 5 songs, so I figure about 20% of that..whatever that is. I used to run a 20 bit layla rig with 1/4 of the RAM. It would only take 2-4 minutes to export audio to a wave for cd burning.

Also, I'm getting audible pops when playing 11 tracks with a couple of plugs on each. It is even popping some when the plugs are off. I have the latency set to 1.5ms. at 44.1. I've adjusted that to various levels to experiment, but am still getting some pops and clicks. I guess I need to find a middle ground. Maybe I'll just finally try Cumix for zero latency and change all of the values in Sonar and MOTU to run slower and safer??

I burned a cd of one of the songs that was popping and I couldn't hear it on the 16 bit, 44.1 cd version. It's not a big deal, but the pops are too often and would likely kill a drummer's ears in headphones.

The buffers (i hope I'm not saying something wrong here) are set to 64 for the Motu.

Also, when I set it to ASIO drivers, it's saying "No Motu Available" when I open Sonar yet it opens and plays just fine through motu. I just close that popup. The pops are there when I use WDM drivers also. I have yet to use MME drivers.

Any ideas?
(I tried posting in Computers; but got no response.)
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

- reinstall the software for you motu card
- place the card away from any potentially hot spots (video card)
- defrag your computer
- lower your buffers to 1024
- clean up your project
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

It's a new build computer. Defrag likely isn't an issue.

However: Would it be a good idea to remove the drivers for the onboard crappy soundcard that came with the M.Board?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

1. set the motu buffers to 128
if that does not work...
2. set the drivers to wdc
3. set the latency slider to 2.7ms..

there you go.. no clicks or pops... i guarantee... that's my problem with the asio drivers, you can't adjust latency on the software.
this is the setting i've used for the past few years, and it works just fine. if you set your buffers to 64 (and thus 1.5ms latency) you'll always get some clicks and pops, even though you get a slightly better latency.
oh, and no use reinstalling motu drivers... it never works.

IMO cuemix does not work well with sonar, and will not solve your problem either.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

The only 3 options I have for drivers are MME, ASIO and WMD-KM.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthyrich View Post
The only 3 options I have for drivers are MME, ASIO and WMD-KM.
i guess it would be wmd then... mme is too slow....
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

The ASIO drivers are not the issue.

What is your CPU meter reading on playback? I would think that trying to run with the MOTU buffer set as low as 64, with any amount of plugs, to be asking for issues. Adjusting the buffer value depending on the task at hand, instead of trying to find one value that always works, is more realistic. Any latency 5ms or less is totally acceptable when tracking most things. Pay attention to the CPU meter.

In Sonar under Options/Audio/ In the "General" tab, do you have the 64 Bit engine checked? If yes, try it without it. I have had audio issues with this in the past and have found it to work well without it checked.

Also, under the "Advanced" tab, how large is your I/O buffer set?,,, and do you have Read and/or Write Cache checked? With your system, you shouldn't need to have either selected. Try 128 as an I/O buffer size.
Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I have the latency set to 1.5ms. at 44.1.
That is extremely low latency for that sample rate, which means you must have your CPU running fairly hot if you have any amount of processing and tracks going on.

Remember, higher sample rates provide lower latency at the same buffer levels, conversly running very low latency at lower sample rates will task your CPU.
Old 16th January 2007
good luck getting the 24 i/o to work with sonar on a pc.

i never could. i tried EVERYTHING.

pops, latency, dragging, midid sync issues, you NAME it.

i HATE motu. their arrogant, ignorant tech support can KISS MY A$$.

f*ck them - seriously.

Old 16th January 2007
good luck getting the 24 i/o to work with sonar on a pc.

i never could. i tried EVERYTHING.

pops, latency, dragging, midi sync issues, you NAME it.

i HATE motu. their arrogant, ignorant tech support can KISS MY A$$.

f*ck them - seriously.

switched back to my 20 bit gina card, and i've been happy as a clam.

Old 16th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
First off, I'm running an AMD Athalon 4300 Dual Core setup. I have 2 gigs of RAM.
Also; I am running a 64 bit windows setup. Also, using MOTU 24 I/O and Sonar 6 producer.
I just realized that there are newer "64 bit" Windows drivers on the MOTU site. You should also check and see if you have the newest version that applies to your setup. I'm running an older P4 2.4Gig machine with 2Gigs of
RAM... with the older, pre "64 bit" drivers, which work fine for me.

The ASIO drivers for the PCI424 are the same for the 24I/O, 2408mk3, and all the 424 devices. All kinds of people are running Sonar setups with these devices and drivers, and have been for years. Some may have problems for different reasons, but the rigs themselves, when set up, work very well. There is no problem native to these boxes, with these drivers, running Sonar.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

I got it to work by using Cuemix to monitor with zero latency. However, I had to record with latency around 50 ms or some crappy thing. It made me have to actually slide each time that I punched in anything. I am getting quite frustrated. Even though it worked, it annyoyed me quite a bit.

When I had the latency at a respectable level around 10 ms or so; and it dropped out as SOON as I hit record. It did it every time. It did it with ASIO and WDM-KS.
I am going to give up soon if I cannot make it work.
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I got it to work by using Cuemix to monitor with zero latency. However, I had to record with latency around 50 ms or some crappy thing. It made me have to actually slide each time that I punched in anything. I am getting quite frustrated. Even though it worked, it annyoyed me quite a bit.

When I had the latency at a respectable level around 10 ms or so; and it dropped out as SOON as I hit record. It did it every time. It did it with ASIO and WDM-KS.
I am going to give up soon if I cannot make it work.
there must be something wrong with your computer... i have a slower cpu and it works just fine for me... and has been working for the past few years... as i said before i use motu buffer = 128, latency at 2.7ms and wdm. (though i believe that asio should work too!)

i would not use cuemix... it does not work with sonar... at least that's my experience... and if you use it and monitor thru it you'll always have to slide your audio, in the other hand if you monitor thru sonar, it automatically puts it in the right place. i myself monitor latency-free thru a simple soundcraft mixer, and have had no problems with it. not only recording overdubs, but using various synth plugins at the same time...

by the way, you're using win64 ( i am still using XP).. did you install the 64bit drivers and the x64 sonar version?

goodluck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search