The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Blue Microphones Blueberry on low male voice
Old 20th October 2015
Here for the gear

Blue Microphones Blueberry on low male voice

I am about to buy a Blue Blueberry mic because I read Eddie Vedder uses it now. But some sites have described it being for high voices.

Does anyone know which is true? Any experiences with this mic?
Old 20th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmark View Post
I am about to buy a Blue Blueberry mic because I read Eddie Vedder uses it now. But some sites have described it being for high voices.

It's a great mic, I think it can work on lower voices. I hear a lot of rappers using this mic and it sounds great. Honestly it sound similar to a u87 to me. A guy posted a shootout between the blueberry and the u87 on gearslutz, it was pretty close, on this shoutout I think the blueberry won! By the way I think it benefits from a more colored preamp (also like the u87). Use it through a 1073 style preamp it should be really nice.

Check out the shootout thread:
Blueberry Mic Vs. U87

heres a pretty good example of the mic used on an acoustic guitar and singer:
http://themidnightproject.bandcamp.c...-the-lumineers
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasmark View Post

Yes, it is true. it is not only ugly from the outside. There are people who actually like the ugly treble frequency representation especially on high voices. Comparing this thing with an U87 is an insult.

Last edited by TobyToby; 20th October 2015 at 08:50 AM..
Old 20th October 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyToby View Post
Yes, it is true. it is not only ugly from the outside. There are people who actually like the ugly treble frequency representation especially on high voices. Comparing this thing with an U87 is an insult.
Eddie Vedder uses it now says the guy. He was voted #7 best lead singer of all time in rolling stone. Blue mics are great. I take it you didn't check the shootout. I dont blame you. I may have been sleeping on that mic as well, but after actually hearing it, it shocked me how good it sounds on vocals. Just be open minded you might be suprised. There are a lot of newer microphones out there that are really good for an affordable price
Old 20th October 2015
Love the Blueberry; choose it over a TLM 103.

BLUE's Blueberry Mic
Old 21st October 2015
RTG
Gear Maniac

I find it is unique enough to be really useful when called for. I would not automatically think it lends itself to high voices. Deep lower voices might enjoy the way the treble from this mic sounds.
Old 21st October 2015
Lives for gear

Have tried a lot of mics, but never the Blueberry. The impression I have always had is that it is one of the brighter mics out there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Old thread, but I’m bored... The Blueberry is a bright mic, but so is the u87ai (if that is the version you are comparing it to). The Blueberry also has some mid frequency weight that the u87 doesn’t, so if that suits the singers voice it could certainly be a better fit.

Personally I prefer the Blueberry on lower voices, and that’s why I keep it around. When it’s right, it’s right. But, I find it kind of spitty on most higher voices (especially higher male voices).
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have the blueberry and u87. The u87 is a bit thicker than the blueberry. But the blueberry is so clear. I haven’t used the u87 in a longtime. Especially for females. Having a low or high voice is irrelevant. Either work well but i have to do less work with the blueberry to get nice silky sounding vocals.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Relavancy

Quote:
Originally Posted by s12512 View Post
I have the blueberry and u87. The u87 is a bit thicker than the blueberry. But the blueberry is so clear. I haven’t used the u87 in a longtime. Especially for females. Having a low or high voice is irrelevant. Either work well but i have to do less work with the blueberry to get nice silky sounding vocals.
Actually the singers voice is quite relevant, if you’re trying to decide which mics to put up in front him/her. The Blueberry is a unique sounding mic, that in my experience, NEVER works well with higher male voices. At least not as well as several other mics at my disposal. Lower male voices, and many female voices sound great with the Blueberry. So yeah, I’m going to start my search for a singers mic by profiling their vocal range, and using my experience to put the right mic in front of them based on that information.

By the way, if you’re looking for clarity, than something like a UM92.1s would be better than a Blueberry imho. Quite a bit more expensive though.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NamelessUnknown View Post
Actually the singers voice is quite relevant, if you’re trying to decide which mics to put up in front him/her. The Blueberry is a unique sounding mic, that in my experience, NEVER works well with higher male voices. At least not as well as several other mics at my disposal. Lower male voices, and many female voices sound great with the Blueberry. So yeah, I’m going to start my search for a singers mic by profiling their vocal range, and using my experience to put the right mic in front of them based on that information.

By the way, if you’re looking for clarity, than something like a UM92.1s would be better than a Blueberry imho. Quite a bit more expensive though.
I was referring to a persons register as far as how hi or low they sing. Not their tone. I’ve used the blueberry with singers that have high voices and low voices. It works great for both. Female/male/high/low doesn’t really matter as much as tone. If a person has a raspy tone it’s gonna be raspy whether they sing high or low.

If the um92 is clearer than the blueberry I’m interested. Gona check that out! Thanks!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search