The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The Genetic Code For Tape Has Been Conquered!!! (AnaMod)
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

The Genetic Code For Tape Has Been Conquered!!! (AnaMod)

Having been a long time user of Pendulum Audio products, I am proud to pass a long this press release effective today. Dave Amels (Bomb Factory) and Greg Gualtieri (Pendulum Audio) have teamed up and conquered the genetic code of "tape." Below you will find the official announcement. I am very excited. I predict, this will be the most significant release in pro audio of recent years and continue to carry that torch for years to come. Read On!!

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: * Amels And Gualtieri Team Up To Form AnaMod *

(Gillette, New Jersey, USA – January 10, 2007) - AnaMod will debut the first in a line of new analog audio products, the ATS-1 Analog Tape Simulator, at the 2007 Winter NAMM show in Anaheim.* The ATS-1 is entirely analog, and is the first to be designed by a new technique called the AnaMod Process™.* Mathematical analysis similar to the type used to create DSP plugins is used to design analog audio processing hardware, eliminating the need to digitize the audio.* This represents an entirely new way to design analog products using techniques that were previously only available to DSP designers.

AnaMod LLC is a new company founded by two well-known audio industry veterans, Dave Amels (Bomb Factory Digital and Voce), and Greg Gualtieri (Pendulum Audio).

“Dave and I were talking over dinner at AES a couple of years ago about mathematical models we use to analyze audio equipment” says Greg. “We found that we were both pulling on the same rope; Dave on the digital end and me on the analog end.”*

Dave says, “My background is the analog world, so when I was creating digital plugins for Bomb Factory, I came to see how the two worlds were really the same.”

The ATS-1 Analog Tape Simulator has all the important features of a two-track analog tape machine, including speed selection, bias, low frequency and high frequency EQ, and the option of adding tape hiss, if desired. It precisely models the behavior of specific tape machines and tape formulations, and allows the user to select from up to four machine and tape types.* Optional machine and tape types will be available on easy-to-install SIMM cards. Unlike digital plug-ins or processor-based outboard gear, there is no latency, and no A/D or D/A conversions to compromise the sound.

The ATS-1’s list price is $2,995.00.* Orders will be taken at NAMM with shipments beginning in the second half of Q1 of 2007.

Greg and Dave will demo the ATS-1 in booth #6254.

Contact Greg Gualtieri or Dave Amels*at (201-728-8490), [email protected] or visit http://www.anamodaudio.com for photos and more information
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

That's it! Time to sell my Otari MTR-10.

But wait. My MTR-10 was $1,500....

But seriously, this is exciting. Anything with Greg involved is going to be high quality.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Awesome. I'll be checking out their booth.
Old 15th January 2007
Old 15th January 2007
Jax
Lives for gear

Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Old 17th January 2007
Right and the Bomb factory LA2a sounds JUST like the real thing.
PLEASE
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Where is Steve Albini?
Old 17th January 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
I've actually just seen another piece of gear that does the same thing for the same price range, only it gives you 24 channels of analog sound rather than just 2 channels! If I recall correctly it was called an analog tape machine.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
I've actually just seen another piece of gear that does the same thing for the same price range, only it gives you 24 channels of analog sound rather than just 2 channels! If I recall correctly it was called an analog tape machine.

Grow up man. This box and others to come that follow this type of design principles are going to have an impact on ultra-modern mixing methods.

If you don't have anything nice to say... tutt

I'd love to hear this box. As much as the price tag kills me I understand the costs involved. Someone take a video of it in action @ NAMM
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

For that price, it better sound like Memorex.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Looks like they did a good job with the tactile design. The front definitely looks serious.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Guru

Definitely have to check this puppy at Nammstike
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear
If it does what it purports to do, then what do you RECORD the result to?

because recording it into a digital recorder will certainly change the result.

wouldn't the right thing be for MASTERING houses to buy it and then just master all digital product through it?
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHunter View Post
That's it! Time to sell my Otari MTR-10.

But wait. My MTR-10 was $1,500....

But seriously, this is exciting. Anything with Greg involved is going to be high quality.
OK I am not trying to be a $hit or anything but this was my immediate thought as well. I guess you don't actually have to buy the tape and the maintainance would be lower on this unit but..........

It does look interesting, I have heard mixed results on Ruperts simulator but maybe these guys figured it out. Keep us posted, have you tried it out yet 84K?
Old 17th January 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post

Grow up man. This box and others to come that follow this type of design principles are going to have an impact on ultra-modern mixing methods.

If you don't have anything nice to say... tutt

It's called sarcasm, check into it. Or has GS become an irony-free zone?

I'm sure some people might find the box interesting for their purposes, but again, for $2995 these days you can pick up a nice 16 or 24 track analog machine and use it as a multi-channel analog processor just the same.

That we are now seeking to replicate analog tape, when for the same price you can have the real thing (and lots more channels of it), is about as ironic as it gets. Sorry if you don't find the humor in that as I do.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Maniac

mmmmmmm, tape hiss
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by twotracker View Post
mmmmmmm, tape hiss
LOL! Yeah, it has a "Hiss" dial!!!

Hey, I'm thinking of designing a device that simulates digital clipping! What do you guys think? I'll make it all nice and sexy looking! I'll be there at NAMM too! It may look like a Pod Pro with masking tape over the controls, but I assure you, this will be the best digital clipping simulation device $5000 can buy you!

(Now was that enough sarcasm for you?)

In other news, this device looks like it could be cool. We shall wait and see how it sounds. Have fun at NAMM, guys!
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley-OIART View Post
"An impact." Whatever that means, I'll take the other side of that bet.

JSL
Old 17th January 2007
nah, no way.

but if it rocks I would be happy to be dead wrong ....but........ .
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
PLEASE
No kidding. The guy who worked at Bombfactory, who made the worst emualtions, now making an overpriced tape simulator. I'll put that one high on my list of things to NOT buy.
Old 17th January 2007
the whole idea of emulations is total bs. The focusrite liquid stuff is bs, the distressor
sounding like an 1176 is bs. The closets thing I've heard to copping the original is some of the Randall MTS stuff, and even then there are so many variables. If it's a useful tool and gives you some mojo you can use, than great. The distressor is a wonderful example of that. Just don't tell me the La2a settings sound just like a real La2a.
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
the whole idea of emulations is total bs. The focusrite liquid stuff is bs, the distressor
sounding like an 1176 is bs. The closets thing I've heard to copping the original is some of the Randall MTS stuff, and even then there are so many variables. If it's a useful tool and gives you some mojo you can use, than great. The distressor is a wonderful example of that. Just don't tell me the La2a settings sound just like a real La2a.
funny you mention emulations/ distressors..
never even turn the damn things on anymore..
sell time
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

this is an exciting concept, i am thrilled......

but this thing better deliver this big mouth promisses or it can lay itself straight in the grave next to the liquid channel LOL!
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
funny you mention emulations/ distressors.. ...
RB, what are you using now instead of your distressors?
Old 17th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
No kidding. The guy who worked at Bombfactory, who made the worst emualtions, now making an overpriced tape simulator. I'll put that one high on my list of things to NOT buy.
I was thinking the same thing... but then I thought about it and Greg Gualtieri is involved…. as in Pendulum Audio and I just don't see him releasing a bad sounding product.

I know I know, how very un Gearslutz of me but I would suggest that we all wait to... ya know... actually "hear" the unit before we make any speculations on how it sounds .. ya know?

heh
Old 17th January 2007
Gear Head

Well at the risk of being stoned to death this has got to be a wind up.I worked for years with tape and yeah it has a sound but to model it anologue and for that money.Its a joke really.

Paddo
Old 17th January 2007
Quote:

Hey Lou

Change your expectations and things are much brighter.

(see... I have my shades on)

If you are expecting an "emulation" to actually sound like the unit it is emulating then you are in for a negative surprise.....

BUT

If you are expecting a unit to help you make better recordings and you evaluate each unit as you would any other unit that you expect to help you make better recordings you might be in for a positive surprise. In doing so now that each unit is judged by the same criteria (i.e. does it sound good) not by the word "emulation" (i.e. does it sound like something else) you may find a "keeper."

If you throw the name and the emulation concept out the window a whole new world of great gear can open up.

Most "emulation" devices that I have tried have fallen short of the unit they are going after but many of them have their own thing going on that is VERY useful in my arsenal.. I guess YMMV but I just hate seeing people put off by simple words like "emulation." I judge a tool by it's usefulness in my studio not by it's name.

Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Noun
emulation

The endeavor to equal or to excel another in qualities or actions; an assiduous striving to equal or excel another; rivalry.
Jealous rivalry; envy; envious contention.
Retrieved from "http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/emulation"
Old 18th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
PLEASE

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search