The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Crown D-75 or D-75A?
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Addict

Crown D-75 or D-75A?

Hi,

I got a pretty good deal and purchased both of these amps. I'm going to power the new Auratone Soundcubes with one of them.

However, even if D-75A is newer and cooler looking, internet told me, that the last batches of this unit were manufactured in China, which isn't necessarily a good thing. In fact this page said it's best avoid the A-version: Crown D-75 Review

So, any advice? Any way to know if I have the chinese version?

cheers,
-- Mark1353
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Guru

There was a 75 being used for cue in a room I fourwalled, and it broke up surprisingly easily. The power supply fried, so I bought another 75 and it was the same. So I wouldn't want one on my Auratones. I don't think I'm being snobby, I just don't think they're very good.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Hell... I have one that is well over 35 years old and after a re-cap it keeps running just fine.
In fact, I have several Crown amps (D150A and mid '80s DC-300) that are still running after complete re-caps.
I didn't know that any Crowns were ever manufactured in China.
I'd have to look into that.
Old 19th October 2015
Old 19th October 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1353 View Post
Hi,

I got a pretty good deal and purchased both of these amps. I'm going to power the new Auratone Soundcubes with one of them.

However, even if D-75A is newer and cooler looking, internet told me, that the last batches of this unit were manufactured in China, which isn't necessarily a good thing. In fact this page said it's best avoid the A-version: Crown D-75 Review

So, any advice? Any way to know if I have the chinese version?

cheers,
-- Mark1353
I like my D-75a for Auratones. I think the difference is the connections.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

The D 75a apparently has 1/4" inputs that are balanced only. I don't mean to hijack the thread but... BTW, I would like to know if I could use the amp for headphones only and not connect any monitor speakers to it. Solely to put either my mixer or my keyboard to the inputs and the headphone in the headphone jack.
Old 19th October 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny C View Post
The D 75a apparently has 1/4" inputs that are balanced only. I don't mean to hijack the thread but... BTW, I would like to know if I could use the amp for headphones only and not connect any monitor speakers to it. Solely to put either my mixer or my keyboard to the inputs and the headphone in the headphone jack.
I think you have the d75 and 75a switched but yes I've used it for headphones-only (sounds good.)
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear

I have a D-75 from the 80's still going strong. The thing is built like a tank. 15 years ago I repainted the front panel "cool" black, you could do the same? LOL
I use both the monitors out and the headphone jack btw.
Old 20th October 2015
Lives for gear

I've got both, and both work great. If buying another, I'd personally go for the A. It's newer, and parts are becoming a problem for these Crown amps, but I already have a few 75's. If it was to be my one and only, I'd look for a good 75.

Lots of paranoia about the 75A, and it does lack some nice features of the 75, but they are still good amps. Only the last few years of production were MIC. Might avoid those.

Nice thing about the 75 is that you can get good-working ones for 30 to 60 bucks. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a good one.

Last edited by kennybro; 20th October 2015 at 04:43 PM..
Old 21st October 2015
Gear Addict

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm gonna gonna toss a coin for which one to use. Or if I have the energy might try them both and listen any differences.
Old 22nd October 2015
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
Lots of paranoia about the 75A, and it does lack some nice features of the 75, but they are still good amps. Only the last few years of production were MIC. Might avoid those.
BTW. Do you have any idea how to know which ones are MIC? Like serial number?
Old 18th January 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybro View Post
I've got both, and both work great. If buying another, I'd personally go for the A. It's newer, and parts are becoming a problem for these Crown amps, but I already have a few 75's. If it was to be my one and only, I'd look for a good 75.

Nice thing about the 75 is that you can get good-working ones for 30 to 60 bucks. I wouldn't pay more than $50 for a good one.
less than $50 for a good one? Where are your sources. Take me to them.
Old 18th January 2016
Lives for gear

I have a D-75 and two D-75A amps here. All three of them are good sounding and solid. All three clearly say "Made in U.S.A." on the rear. I've not previously heard of any of them (eg later models) having been made anywhere else.

Despite the minor differences others have noted, both models are robust and well spec'ed, and there is nothing notable to choose between them sonically - both well suited to powering some sound cubes.

If you audition them and find a difference, that would most likely indicate a service issue. I.e. providing there are no components (eg capacitors) failing, differences should be negligible.
Old 6th June 2016
They work well with Aurotones, but it wouldn't hurt to have an amp with a bit more power - you have to drive them pretty hard to get loud with Aurotones.

Concerning reliability:
I had a d75 go bad pretty quickly. About two years ago i purchased a D75A that sounds good, but there's a channel that sometimes gets distorted, and then mysteriously returns to life - sometimes days later. maybe a failing capacitor? Anyway from my admittedly limited experience they have a tendency to go bad, and aren't worth the expense of repairing unless you're good at DIY. If my D75A finally quits, I'll look towards another A/B amp - maybe an Ashley - with a little more power.
Old 19th November 2016
Gear Maniac
[/QUOTE]

Concerning reliability:
I had a d75 go bad pretty quickly. About two years ago i purchased a D75A that sounds good, but there's a channel that sometimes gets distorted, and then mysteriously returns to life - sometimes days later. maybe a failing capacitor? Anyway from my admittedly limited experience they have a tendency to go bad, and aren't worth the expense of repairing unless you're good at DIY. If my D75A finally quits, I'll look towards another A/B amp - maybe an Ashley - with a little more power.[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to have the exact same issue with my D75 which I bought used about 25 years ago. Out of nowhere one channel will turn to white noise and stay that way for a few days. Then, just as suddenly....back to normal. Agreed it's not worth repairing.
Old 7th April 2018
Here for the gear

It’s been a while... but what about driving the Auratones with the Crown D45?
The D45 outups a bit less power then the D75 but it would be enough?
Old 7th April 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoabrahao View Post
It’s been a while... but what about driving the Auratones with the Crown D45?
The D45 outups a bit less power then the D75 but it would be enough?
I have no experience with newer Auratones but I used original Super Sound Cubes for years and they need power to sound good.

No, it's not enough clean power to make the Auratones sound good.

A D-150 is the right choice, even the D-75 IMO is too low powered to correctly voice these speakers.

Good luck and good music to you!
Old 7th April 2018
Here for the gear

Thank you mate. I had my thoughts about the D75 being not enough, but there’s many people using it and review it good for the game... i still have my doubts. I’ll consider the D150 in my search for and amp but i’m afraid i will need to have caution driving them from the d150 as it could blow the auratones if cranked. How was your experience with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by foldback View Post
I have no experience with newer Auratones but I used original Super Sound Cubes for years and they need power to sound good.

No, it's not enough clean power to make the Auratones sound good.

A D-150 is the right choice, even the D-75 IMO is too low powered to correctly voice these speakers.

Good luck and good music to you!
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoabrahao View Post
I’ll consider the D150 in my search for and amp but i’m afraid i will need to have caution driving them from the d150 as it could blow the auratones if cranked.
Actually, a D75 will probably fry Auratones quicker because it'll break up more easily. And the bigger amp will sound better even at very low volumes.

At any rate, "Auratone" and "cranked" don't go together. So you won't be doing it, making it a non-issue.
Old 10th August 2018
Lives for gear

Ran a d75a with auratones for years. I really liked the sound. I liked to crank them up and I didn’t hear any audible break up. The 5c’s were in pristine condition. I couldn’t imagine going any louder, they were ridiculously loud already. I run ns10s off them from time to time but not loud. I had a regular 75 but had low hum, got rid of it and got the 75a, which isn’t as bad. These days I use it as a headphone amp. I wish I can mod it to cut down the size because I like the sound. The headphone amp at very hi volumes does have a hiss.

Last edited by JblKid95; 10th August 2018 at 11:44 AM..
Old 11th August 2018
Lives for gear

with the DC series i would recommend two monoed. both channels are ran through the same chip and there's a little bit of crosstalk.

i use the D60's
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear
Crown D-75A with Auratones and NS 10s

I know this is an old thread but I found it and thought I would comment.

Our studio uses the Crown D-75A on both our vintage Auratones and NS10s... we feed the amps from our Heritage Ram 2000 and level match the amps levels with our Genelec 1031s. This set up has worked really well for us - no problems and they sound really great.

We also will switch them over to headphone amps when we need more cue mixes when tracking. Seeing you can get them on ebay for $125 or so I think they are a great deal and one of the most underrated audio items out there.

Originally they sold for about $1000 and I would say that would be priced about right considering the sound quality vs other amps we have tried...there is a big surplus on them now with powered speakers now being so popular... so supply and demand = good deals.

Here is a link for more info as well: https://kenrockwell.com/audio/crown/d-75.htm
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search