The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ha ha! The old Aphex 107 mic preamp
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Ha ha! The old Aphex 107 mic preamp

I had forgotten that I had one of these stored away and came across it by accident whilst exploring a couple of boxes of 1990's gear I'd stored-away years ago.

I remember when it came out there was plenty to read about how that unit was the "starved plate design" and also the wall-wart psu was not too grande!

I hate to admit it, but I remember not taking the 107 very seriously when I read the disparaging things about it on the web. I was rather new to the web at the time.

So anyway, I had a fun little time under the sun on the deck opening the thing up and cleaning the jacks and switches. It had Phillips 12AT7 tubes, I must have installed those. A bunch of WIMA caps and things. Good components!

Took the thing up to the control room and, the darn thing sounds decent and useful. It is coming back into my rig as a useful item.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Maniac

Old 19th October 2015
Gear Guru

Aphex makes good, solid gear.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Aphex rocks. I picked up a pair of their 500 EQ's and the quality is excellent. I've always been curious about the 107.....
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

I just sold mine for $50, last week.
It was the first stand-alone preamp that I ever bought.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Was this the one with "Tubessence" as I think they called it?
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Was this the one with "Tubessence" as I think they called it?
Yeah, and when you say "Tubessence", rainbows shoot out of your eyes and stars float out of your arse.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus TM View Post
Yeah, and when you say "Tubessence", rainbows shoot out of your eyes and stars float out of your arse.
That's what I'm shooting for. Thanks for the tip
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Guru

i have an Aphex Aural Exciter (this tubessence version) without a Power Supply .. trade or something ??? not trying to hijack .. i used to own 3 of the 107's .. i may still have a couple of tubes laying around .. had a Tele and brimar - each one had a different character and easy to swap out ..

PM me if anyone whats to work out a deal for these items .. john
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Yeah they're not very anything. The tube doesn't do much. Its starved plate. Wimas? Alesis uses wimas. And their junk sucks too. Hated the xlrs in the front so I modded them to the back and through a new faceplate on. They were still junk and never got used in 10 years of having it. Not once. I felt like they were between a soundcraft and a mackie as far as the preamps went. They are lightweight though. Probably because the transformer in them is a little dinky guy since its not really doing anything to the tube (i take that back; it lights up). Changing the tube made a tiny difference but that was probably in my head because really I just wanted it to. I sold mine awhile ago and put the funds in a far more useful area; Swedish back massages. Now that made my mixes better. Look elsewhere; cause it aint in the 107.
Ymmv
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

107 is a great utility pre for the price. I liked it more than my interface pres (M-Audio octane) and more than Studio Projects VTB1, but not as much as Art Pro MPA.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

Hey if you are interested in a Aphex 107 there is a guy with flower pots that has some.
Old 19th October 2015
Lives for gear

My only claim being that the 107 is a useful extra pre to have around. No Neve claims here! But it does not stink. That is all....
Old 3rd November 2015
Lives for gear

I still have an Aphex 1100 2-ch preamp with 24-bit converters. I seldom use it, but it's still in the rack.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 25th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty Ford View Post
I still have an Aphex 1100 2-ch preamp with 24-bit converters. I seldom use it, but it's still in the rack.

Regards,

Ty Ford
Sell it to me!

-Tomi
Old 10th December 2016
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnialinx View Post
Yeah they're not very anything. The tube doesn't do much. Its starved plate. Wimas? Alesis uses wimas. And their junk sucks too. Hated the xlrs in the front so I modded them to the back and through a new faceplate on. They were still junk and never got used in 10 years of having it. Not once. I felt like they were between a soundcraft and a mackie as far as the preamps went. They are lightweight though. Probably because the transformer in them is a little dinky guy since its not really doing anything to the tube (i take that back; it lights up). Changing the tube made a tiny difference but that was probably in my head because really I just wanted it to. I sold mine awhile ago and put the funds in a far more useful area; Swedish back massages. Now that made my mixes better. Look elsewhere; cause it aint in the 107.
Ymmv
Do you get invited to all the parties?
Old 10th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by esaias View Post
Sell it to me!

-Tomi
Hey Tomi,

What do you think it's worth......and split shipping to where are you? Helsinki?

Regards,

Ty

Last edited by Ty Ford; 10th December 2016 at 05:20 PM..
Old 11th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry McInturff View Post
My only claim being that the 107 is a useful extra pre to have around. No Neve claims here! But it does not stink. That is all....
I've heard great tracks done through the 107. Some users who cant make it work maybe?

Heres some music from someone who can make it work....
Check out the track "Equinox String Quartet: Saint-Saens String Quartet in G op153 allegro animato"
excellent recording using Aphex 107's too!
http://www.begunaudio.com/recording-examples.php

post from the Engineer-
I have 2 107 "tubessence" pres that have been reliable elements of my recording systems. Purists back then dumped on them as not real tube pres. I didn't care. If they sounded good, I had no problem using them.

I recorded the Saint-Saens String Quartet in G for Eroica Classical label in 1996 using the 107's. It sounded fantastic. I close miked each instrument with AKG and CAD mics through the 107's. They both produced warm and clean recordings. It made ADATs sound good! When I played it for Bruce back then, he could not believe that I recorded it with adats. He commented that I pushed the envelope on the adats, but I think it was the 107's that cleaned the sound up. The Concert Master of the New York Philharmonic on PBS radio, while listening to the recording said it was the best string quartet recording he had heard to date. Needless to say, I love the 107's for classical recording. I still use them regularly. They have not deteriorated at all in the last decade.
Old 12th May 2019
I realize that this is an old post but I feel compelled to comment. Posting audio is sometimes the best way to make a point (I've done it here several times myself) and the Saint Saens string quartet posted above is proof positive that the Aphex 107 is a very useable pre. Too many gearslutz either have more money than sense or aren't really listening to their own gear (or anyone else's for that matter). Unfortunately the reproduction of received ideas seems to have become more important in these parts than the reproduction of sound. So where are all the pithy comments in response to this recording and the point it so clearly makes?
Old 20th June 2019
Gear Guru

Yeah that's a pretty nice, vibey recording.

I'd be interested in trying one out sometime.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

I have a 107. It’s the only other pre I have next to my Jim Williams modded Symetrix sx202’s. I also have 4 Aphex 651’s and two have been modded by Jim and the other two just haven’t been to see him yet. I have a 320a Compellor as well. They’re all prized pieces and can be had for cheap on the used market. I paid $180 for the last two 651’s I bought delivered to my front door. They’re excellent unmodded and absolute crushers when modded. If you like transparency and clean low noise low distortion tools, they’re great.
Old 20th June 2019
I have a 107 in my storage room that I used to use on snare 10 years ago.

Something is wrong with it, it makes a weird alarm sound, almost like self oscillation. I haven’t cared enough to fix it but maybe I will now.
Old 20th June 2019
Lives for gear

Aphex 107's Shhh...
Chris
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

The Aphex 107 stock is the cleanest most transparent best sounding mic preamp for the money, period. I've tried everything in the same price range, nothing can touch it. Keep in mind we're talking about the $80-100 price range. You'd need to spend a lot, lot more for a better sounding mic preamp.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Norton View Post
I have a 107 in my storage room that I used to use on snare 10 years ago.

Something is wrong with it, it makes a weird alarm sound, almost like self oscillation. I haven’t cared enough to fix it but maybe I will now.
Or you could get into Trance or Techno production.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search