The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Using trash speakers at mix on purpose? Studio Monitors
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Maniac
Using trash speakers at mix on purpose?

Hey sound people I'm currently using avantone c50 speakers to emulate how the song will sound on bad speakers and on most cellphones. It's doing pretty good actually but I only use it during mastering. Do you guys think the same technique will work while mixing or no ? I have Yamaha 80s for primary speakers also
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RueyBang View Post
Hey sound people I'm currently using avantone c50 speakers to emulate how the song will sound on bad speakers and on most cellphones. It's doing pretty good actually but I only use it during mastering. Do you guys think the same technique will work while mixing or no ? I have Yamaha 80s for primary speakers also
It's nice to have a few sets of speakers to switch back and forth from. I switch between my Tannoys, Yamaha NS10's and a Sony boombox. Between those three I can be pretty confident. I also have a sub that can be switched on or off with all three pairs at different crossover points. I believe it is indeed important to have a low fidelity reference to help give a real world perspective. I'm a really impatient person though. I like my first mix to translate great. I'm not one of those guys who mixes and then listens and then mixes again and then listens some more and then remixes yet again. Aint nobody got no time for all that. The initial mix should be slammin, do whatever tweeks the band needs and print that sucka! The last thing in the world I need to be worrying about it trying to get the low end, the high end or the balances right.
Old 18th October 2015
I regularly use tiny little logitechs without the sub to level mixes, its way faster than using the mains.
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Maniac
Indeed they are really fast and easy to find some problems. Do you use them while equalizing vocals and such while mixing ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt_jumper View Post
I regularly use tiny little logitechs without the sub to level mixes, its way faster than using the mains.
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Always good to have multiple perspectives. I use my avantones to dial in that last 5-10% after most of the heavy lifting is done.
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Maniac
Do you use the sub and the lofi while mixing such as when using eq and cutting freqs or just to check the volume balances ? Because I heard ppl use the lofi speakers while mastering never heard of using them while mixing vocals and such. Should do the same trick right ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empire Prod View Post
It's nice to have a few sets of speakers to switch back and forth from. I switch between my Tannoys, Yamaha NS10's and a Sony boombox. Between those three I can be pretty confident. I also have a sub that can be switched on or off with all three pairs at different crossover points. I believe it is indeed important to have a low fidelity reference to help give a real world perspective. I'm a really impatient person though. I like my first mix to translate great. I'm not one of those guys who mixes and then listens and then mixes again and then listens some more and then remixes yet again. Aint nobody got no time for all that. The initial mix should be slammin, do whatever tweeks the band needs and print that sucka! The last thing in the world I need to be worrying about it trying to get the low end, the high end or the balances right.
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Maniac
Idk man it's kind of easier to spot the bad frequencies with the lofi speakers. If it was up to me I'd use %60 lofi and %40 HiFi speaker in my mixes. U think it would be a bad idea ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianVengeance View Post
Always good to have multiple perspectives. I use my avantones to dial in that last 5-10% after most of the heavy lifting is done.
Old 18th October 2015
Quote:
Indeed they are really fast and easy to find some problems. Do you use them while equalizing vocals and such while mixing ?
Not very often, Just levels really, only because I cant hear EQ changes on them anywhere near as much as the opals or the headphones
Old 18th October 2015
Quote:
Yes avantones will help in the mix a lot. When mixing with avantone (mixcubes i'm guessing, can't find a c50 by avantone) I find its really easy to set levels on these. Try to do all your basic leveling on the mixcubes before switching over to your mains. I can usually get a basic level mix much quicker and more accurate using the avantone mixcubes over my mains.

Let me tell you a little secret I use when leveling. I adjust everything by 1db increments. Usually a 1db change will tell you easier if something is too loud or too soft. If you are just doing .3db increments its easy to overdo things. After you get everything balanced within 1db, then you can go in and do .3 increments (or less) but i find if I can get everything within 1db, going any further actually doesn't matter much. Anyway using this 1db technique on the mixcubes makes it really easy to get a good level mix, then you can switch back to your mains and do eq / compression, switch back to your mixcubes clean it up. Keep switching between speakers and mixing it should come pretty easy!
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Idk man it's kind of easier to spot the bad frequencies with the lofi speakers. If it was up to me I'd use %60 lofi and %40 HiFi speaker in my mixes. U think it would be a bad idea ?
Whatever gets you there - I'm pretty comfortable with my mains, but in all honesty it may be closer to 20% that I use the avantones. More for some, less do others. There really is no wrong way if you get where you like!
Old 18th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
U think it would be a bad idea ?
FWIW, I'm uncomfortable making changes because of how cheap speakers translate a mix.

I get the concept, and it seems like a good idea if most things were heard through tiny speakers, but I can't think of many situations where they actually are. If I knew that something would only ever be heard over cheap tiny speakers, I'd go that way 100%. But that presents a problem in that earbuds are far more the standard now, and buds have very little in common with small/cheap speakers.

Last edited by kennybro; 18th October 2015 at 04:15 PM..
Old 18th October 2015
I mix mainly on Focal Twins and Neumann KH120's but I'm adding a set of bluetooth speakers for the crap factor and these are cute. https://versaudio.com/product/vers-2q/ I let you know how they are when I get them
Old 18th October 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
It is up to you.
Old 19th October 2015
Gear Maniac
thanks allot guys had great advices. And some great tips from kangking. Will deffinantly try it out on my upcoming project. will use the c50 for the mix also the leveling
Old 19th October 2015
Quote:
thanks allot guys had great advices. And some great tips from kangking. Will deffinantly try it out on my upcoming project. will use the c50 for the mix also the leveling
Thanks, good luck!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search