The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Looking to buy some new gear... suggestions or personal faves?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Looking to buy some new gear... suggestions or personal faves?

Hi, I know these type of threads piss some people off, but I want to hear some opinions, why you like certain items, and sources that these things sound good on in a few categories. By no means am I going to take this thread as the gospel. I'm in the process of maybe selling one of my very rare custom guitars that appreciated greatly in value, so hopefully I can get several new pieces. Most of my gear right now is solid state so I'm looking to add some tube mojo. Anyway, here goes:

Stereo tube or solid state EQ: I have a Massive Passive, Chandler Channel, and two API 560's, plus a little EQ on the Quartet, but EQ is my biggest downfall. I'm looking for something that will complement the MP but have a different sound... leaning towards the Great River to save money, or something along the lines of an 8200, Ibis, or the new Chandler... love the idea of adding a Fearn, etc., but I really need two channels.

Stereo tube comp: I have two Distressors, two Purples, an STC-8, and again some compression on the Quartet, plus an RNC. I definitely want a tube compressor since most of mine are solid state... leaning towards a variable mu device, particularly the Thermionic Culture Phoenix. Also open to non vari-mu tube comps such as the Fearn VT-7, etc. Would even consider another non-tube mix-buss compressor that's more aggressive than my STC-8 such as the SSL G comp for certain types of music. Wow, that's really broad. Sorry

A mono tube comp dedicated to mixing vocals... and obviously for tracking. I'm pretty much set on the CL 1B, but am open to suggestions.

A top notch reverb other than my Rumour. Again, effects are another shortcoming of mine... I only have a Rumour and an H3000. Would love a 480L since it was used on the mixing of my record and thought it sounded great, but probably cannot afford it. Are PCM 70's comparable for reverb newbies such as myself? (Yes Thrill, I know the answer is no

A stereo tube mic pre I have the Chandler Channel, a Pacifica, Great River MP2-NV, and API 3124, plus the Quartet which is in fact tube as I'm sure you know. Would like to add something tube maybe, although I feel pretty covered in the mic pre department right now, along the lines of the Tube Tech MP 1A.

Thoughts? And please don't flame me for not trying it myself or not using the search function... there are no dealers in this town and if you're mad at me for posting another "suggestion thread", go have it out in the Moan Zone

Peace.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Oh well, I figured this type of thread would get ignored. It was worth a shot. Guess it's time to start Searching.
Old 4th March 2008
Gear Maniac

So this about a month and a half late but if you haven't bought a mono tube comp yet, I swear by my Retro Instruments Sta-Level.

For a stereo pre, I love my ADL 600 - it's not really colored like a typical tube pre but it sounds fantastic on acoustic instruments.I also love my helios stereo pair and that's got a HUGE bottom end if that's the type of tube sound you want!
Old 4th March 2008
Lives for gear

Haha, try a year and a month and a half late Thanks though.
Old 4th March 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobby12 View Post
Haha, try a year and a month and a half late Thanks though.
What did you end up getting? I've got my slutty eye on the API 2500...

~Lerxst
Old 5th March 2008
Lives for gear

Some good ****

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search