The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Get a Digimax FS, or something else?
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

Get a Digimax FS, or something else?

So im thinking about buying a Digimax FS to expand my Digi 002. Is this the best piece of gear to do this for under $1000, or is there something else out there that would be a better investment. I would like it to do the whole 96K thing, and it seems like haveing the direct outs and inserts is a good feature. Thanks for any advice you all can give me.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

lol, help, pretty please
Old 15th January 2007
Jai guru deva om

It's good, the conversion is quite good also. Great all around piece, don't think you could go wrong with it.

War
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I like it for the price.... but dont think you can do 96K and 16 tracks at once.... I dont think the 96K is all that big of a deal. But the digimax is nice to have.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah, I've used some of the Digimax stuff, and likes it's sound. I bought a Mackie Onyx 800r, which I like a lot. Sounds good, and you can get one used around that price (I paid $750 for mine.)
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Nut

Yeah, Im mostly concerned with getting couple more mic's on a drum set. Can you run 4 channels of 96K into a Digi 002 via the SMUX output or is digi doing us dirty and limiting us to 48k? I figured it would be good to run half the unit into the digi through lightpipe, and then use the other 4 pre's for analog inputs 5-8.
Old 19th January 2007
Gear Nut

Well, i bought the Digimax FS, and it looks like the Digi 002 can not run 4 channels of 96K via the SMUX output. It only appears to read a max of 48K and all 8 channels. Aww nuts!
Old 27th January 2007
Gear Maniac

War,

Would you mind posting any comparisons between the FS and the Onyx 800R? If I recall, I've read some high praise from you on the Onyx and was wondering if the FS would hold up against it. Advice on the quality of pres and conversion would be appreciated the most, as I'm in a bit of a toss-up, features wise. I miss the inserts on the 800R but I hate the front panel inputs on the FS, etc.

Thanks,
Eric
Old 27th January 2007
Lives for gear

i can't comment on the digimax FS but i do have and use the digimax LT. The pres are definitely usable and i think they sound great with a rock drum kit. i've heard that the FS is supposed to be another step up so i'd imagine you'd have a great unit.
Old 29th January 2007
Lives for gear

I just purchased one, running ADAT 44.1 into my Creamware soundcard.. also running it as the master clock. Works perfectly, very easy to setup, TRS inserts on back. Pre's sound clean and clear, this is not a "character sounding" piece of kit, just 8 good clean pre's with heaps of gain. The added DAC was the deal sealer for me, such a good idea.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search