The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Apogee Ensemble and DP...
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Apogee Ensemble and DP...

I anyone using the Ensemble with Digital Performer... Or should I just go with Metric Halo 2882???
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Addict

At the store that I work at, we have an Ensemble and DP on a G5 tower. Mostly, we just play song files through it to demo monitors. I have fired up DP once, recorded and played back a few test files through the Ensemble. Everything went smooth. Maestro seems handy as well. Not at all a rigorous test (was testing out a channel strip for a customer), so take with a handful of salt.

I'm very intrigued by the Ensemble. My only real gripe is its lack of AES I/O.
Old 15th January 2007
Gear Head

DP & Ensemble

DP and Ensemble working very nicely..
Old 15th January 2007
GCL
Lives for gear

I use an Ensemble with DP. Each is great, but I envy the Logic/Ensemble connection. To get no-latency monitoring in DP with the Ensemble, you always have to have Maestro fired up, and that leads to a lot of mousing around to get levels and monitoring happening It's a real pain compared to MOTU interfaces having DIRECT HARDWARE PLAYTHROUGH selectable as a menu item in DP. If MOTU would add that feature to the MOTU/Ensemble duo, that'd be great, but that'll never happen.

So I'll see what's at NAMM, but may have to go back to a Rosetta 800/MOTU interface combo. Too bad MOTU can't compete in the high-end A-D & D-A league. A/B a Traveler, for example, to any Apogee and there's no contest. And I'm not going to send a Traveler off to Black Lion to get hacked with the unreliable connections of their components soldered on to MOTU's PC boards.
Old 20th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCL View Post
To get no-latency monitoring in DP with the Ensemble, you always have to have Maestro fired up, and that leads to a lot of mousing around to get levels and monitoring happening It's a real pain compared to MOTU interfaces having DIRECT HARDWARE PLAYTHROUGH selectable as a menu item in DP.
I'm not understanding. I have DP and am looking to get an Ensemble. So your saying you have playback latency? I do not understand how Maestro works, so maybe you could explain the connection between the two. I though Maestro was just a control panel for the Ensemble??
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Nut

i'm running dp 5.11 in a Dual 1.8 G5 tower with 4 gigs of ram. just got rid of the 828mk2 for the ensemble. the pre's and converters on the apogee are superior for sure, but the "direct hardware playthrough" option being unavailable is a pain, for sure. besides the fact the maestro has to be running in the background at all times during a session, the mousing around becomes counterproductive to a point. luckily i deal mostly with virtual instruments and UAD plugs.

apogee needs to fix the hissing in all outputs, as it drives me nuts. also, the pops when changing sample rate or turning the computer on/off while the ensemble is still running is a definate fix. we'll see how well i'm running after DLing the new firmware. If it is not substantially better, i might take the apogee go pick up a traveler.
Old 24th January 2007
Lives for gear

No "direct hardware playthrough"? You can definitely monitor directly from the Ensemble using Maestro. And even Logic users need to have Maestro running to use Ensemble's internal mixer. Command[hold]+tab is the most handy key command in these app switching scenarios.
Old 24th January 2007
Gear Nut

thanks for the command+tab tip. that is EXTREMELY useful. i'm finding that you can save SOOO much time after learning all the key commands for osx or any given sequencer. you're right about direct hardware playback through maestro....everything was just so seamless between motu software and hardware, that I'm wishing motu can just make it's own high end pre's and ad/da interface. like the traveler on steroids for us DP users ya know?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search