The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Problems with the Apogee Rosetta 800
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Maniac

Problems with the Apogee Rosetta 800

Aaargh ! Major problems over here !

Running in my studio, the Apogee Rosetta 800 along with Logic Pro on a G5 (quad)

But now and then, the apogee loses his sync with the g5. The audio stops and the leds (AES) on the Apogee flashes on and off.
After couple off restarts of the Mac and Apogee it’s gone. For months no problems. But I had to finish a track for mastering today and the same problem is back…..

Firewire problem ?? (the apogee is connecting directly to the Mac, not via a hub)

Please help me !!!
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

This is for any pre-Intel Mac!

Perhaps you already know, but reassuring that the Mac keeps going on glitchlessly there are a few known as well as a few not so well known routines.

1) Repair the privilege database after installation of new software. Some even say before. Do it from disc utility or get Cocktail.

2) Run an application like Cocktail or Onyx every week. It will clean caches, run cron scripts, re-prebind and repair privilege database.

3) Reset PRAM every two weeks. It's done this way: hold down Command+Alt+P+R at start-up. Let the computer restart at least 3 times (you should hear the start-up chime three times) while holding those keys down. Release the keys.

4) Reset NVRAM every other month or after kernel panics or strange behaviours of PCI cards. It will force the PCI bus to reload the drivers. It's done this way: hold down Command+Alt+O+F at start-up. Don't shout out loud- yes it resembles DOS Write reset-nvram and hit enter. Write set-defaults and hit enter. Then write reset-all. The computer will restart.

Whenever any problems occur, those are the first steps to recovery.

Way before reinstallment of drivers and such.

And remember that the system partition of an OSX setup NEVER should be defragged!
Old 23rd June 2007
Lives for gear

I'm losing sync too, but I have the Digi-X TDM card and my Rosetta is getting it's word clock sync throug there (as recomended).

Every once in a while it's losing sync starting w/ audio crackles, then cuts out. Sometimes just starting the song from the start fixes it. Sometimes rebooting the Rosetta fixes it. Sometimes I have to reboot the Rosetta numerous times. Like 4 or 5 times!

Getting a bit worried a trip back to Apogee is order. Anyone else have this issue. It's on a rock solid TDM system, OS 9.22, Logic Pro 6.4.1.
Old 11th July 2007
Gear Maniac

I had the same problem. I spoke to a guy from apogee and he said my x-fire card was no good. I've since upgraded to the Symphony system and i've been running smooth ever since. Maybe it's time to get a new x-fire card or better yet just upgrade to the Symphony system as well, it's much more stable and reliable.

Good Luck!thumbsup
Old 11th July 2007
Gear Maniac

For some reason if you have it connected to the firewire port on the back, switch it to the firewire port on the front. - For some reason it works.

I know 002 Rack users had a similar problem and it was the firewire port on the back, change it to the front port and no problems.

Hopefully this might work.
Old 11th July 2007
amd
Lives for gear

Does this work for PCIE?

4) Reset NVRAM every other month or after kernel panics or strange behaviours of PCI cards. It will force the PCI bus to reload the drivers. It's done this way: hold down Command+Alt+O+F at start-up. Don't shout out loud- yes it resembles DOS Write reset-nvram and hit enter. Write set-defaults and hit enter. Then write reset-all. The computer will restart.
Old 11th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd View Post
Does this work for PCIE?

On a Mac? I'm plugged into a Mac via the Digidesign cards. The Apogee in question is plugged into the DSP card port. The Apogee guy I talked to suggested maybe plugging into the Core card(s) port.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search