The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Artist/ producer production & development deals
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Artist/ producer production & development deals

Have you worked on a production deal as either an artist or a producer? How was the project initiated? Was it successful (musically, commercially etc)?

I had a succesful producer ask me could he record my material (all financed by him) and in return for getting me a release/publishing/management deal he would be retain the chance to produce my debut album or an agreed cash pay off (he had succesfully done this for 2 artists previous). For a variety of reasons it wasn't the right thing at the time and we didn't work together but it's a way of working and approaching the industry that appeals to me.

I'd love to hear any experiences or knowledge from others who have worked in this way on either side of the angled glass.
Old 14th January 2007
Gear Guru

I've done this many times and have been successful (at least securing a deal) on almost all of them.

What info specifically do you want to know?

These situations are usually initiated by artists who want to work with me.

I think both sides benefit as long as the artist wants to work with that producer as opposed to using the experience to get a free demo and a record deal and dropping that producer so they could work with someone more established.

Either way it's best to get it all in writing for all possible situations.

The most important thing (on the Producer's side) is to complete the recording ASAP. Artists (especially pop artists) tend to get antsy and like to change styles if you wait too long. LOL.

Thanks.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Produceher View Post
I've done this many times and have been successful (at least securing a deal) on almost all of them.

What info specifically do you want to know?

These situations are usually initiated by artists who want to work with me.

I think both sides benefit as long as the artist wants to work with that producer as opposed to using the experience to get a free demo and a record deal and dropping that producer so they could work with someone more established.

Either way it's best to get it all in writing for all possible situations.
I'm just interetsed in hearing about the anatomy of these deals or the experiences of those who have worked in this way. I had never considered it until an offer came along and then I thought that when it comes to approaching labels etc. it's personally the most appealling way that is a win win situation if it works out. And if it doesn't? Well then it shouldn't have gone ahead in the first place.

Any other thoughts or expreiences?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search