The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Will 01V still Be ok for monitoring?
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Will 01V still Be ok for monitoring?

As I add more high end outboard to my studio, I am concerned that my
Yamaha 01V might not be suitable for monitoring anymore. It is really versatile for this, but I hate to lose sound quality. Should I be concerned, or keep on rolling?
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Biggest concern is probably the D/A converters in the 01V. The Monitor Outputs are 18 bit, the Stereo Main (Analog) Outputs are 20 bit, and *neither* of them dither, they just truncate. If you're working with 24 bit files and are concerned with pristine accurate reliable monitoring you might want to strap an outboard D/A like a Benchmark DAC-1 onto the S/PDIF output and use that to feed your monitors.

Or you could just deal with truncated audio, it's not the end of the world.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
<snip>
might want to strap an outboard D/A like a Benchmark DAC-1 onto the S/PDIF output and use that to feed your monitors.
Yep. And the Benchmark will be friendly to future upgrades. Get it and keep your flexibility (I'm assuming you are using digital ins to the 01V). The 01V is also a great unit as a headphone mixer with snapshots and automation, so you ought to be able to use it for something until it dies.
Old 14th January 2007
Lives for gear

So, coming straight out of my interface (currently a TC Electronic Konnect 24) to my monitors would be the best option for the most acurate monitoring? This is fine. It has a volume control.

I plan to upgrade to a Rosetta soon, so what about volume control then?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

My present converter has adat i/o as does my 01V. If I keep all my signals digital before they hit the 01V, does it do any conversion again before coming back out digitally? Sorry if that is a dumb question, just want to be sure.

Thanks for your help.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Apart from any notions of dithering and truncation, the 01V has a definite sound, and not in a good way.

The 01V96 is much better for studio work, the bottom end is there and the top end is way cleaner. I would recommend you sell the 01v and upgrade to an 01v96 whilst you can still get money for the 01v.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

I've got the 01V96 and I use it for monitoring and it's great. It's a fairly over-kill, but the headphone mixes and routing options are endless, plus if someone wants a bit of verb or what ever in there mix it's got that too. It really does sound good. I would suggest selling the 01V and upgrading
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Keep in mind that at this point, the 01V is really a volume nob and aheadphone mixer for the talent. I like having the effects too. So upgrading to the 01V96 does seem a little like overkill at this point.

I really just need to know if I need to ditch the 01V and get an analogue solution I suppose. If I do, It would need to be relatively low cost thought.

Maybe I can just track while monitoring through the 01V and then bypass it completely for mixdown.

Thoughts?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

One thought. How are the converters on the 01V96?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptoolate View Post
My present converter has adat i/o as does my 01V. If I keep all my signals digital before they hit the 01V, does it do any conversion again before coming back out digitally? Sorry if that is a dumb question, just want to be sure.

Thanks for your help.

It doesn't do any D/A conversion, but as soon as you do anything with the faders or signal processing, it's doing "math" so you probably still want to select the 24 bit dithering option (on the Option IO page) for the ADAT lightpipe outputs.

Operative word in that sentence being "probably" ...give it a listen with & without, see what you think.
Old 15th January 2007
Quote:
One thought. How are the converters on the 01V96?
I've mentioned here several times, that I love the old, dirty, low resolution of those 01v's on my Keyboards, I don't know why, I used to monitor keys on my 01v, then I recorded those keys using 1073, avalon 2022, or brent averill 1272, but I don't know why, I prefered the sound of those synths through my 01v more that the direct signal, I don't know if it has to be that the low resolution makes a coesive thing or something, but please, take my advice with a grain of salt because I am f%@#g crazy.

Best regards.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
I've mentioned here several times, that I love the old, dirty, low resolution of those 01v's on my Keyboards, I don't know why, I used to monitor keys on my 01v, then I recorded those keys using 1073, avalon 2022, or brent averill 1272, but I don't know why, I prefered the sound of those synths through my 01v more that the direct signal, I don't know if it has to be that the low resolution makes a coesive thing or something, but please, take my advice with a grain of salt because I am f%@#g crazy.

Best regards.
I'm f%@#g crazy too bro!. I will give it a shot.
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Keep in mind that at this point, the 01V is really a volume nob and aheadphone mixer for the talent. I like having the effects too. So upgrading to the 01V96 does seem a little like overkill at this point.

I really just need to know if I need to ditch the 01V and get an analogue solution I suppose. If I do, It would need to be relatively low cost thought.
Come on,. you say you have fancy outboard, but you can't spring for an upgraded desk that is still cheap as chips? Stop being tight.

Sure, analog as well, how about the Allen & Heath ones?

Quote:
please, take my advice with a grain of salt because I am f%@#g crazy.
Yes you are. What kind of music do you do?
Old 15th January 2007
Lives for gear

O1v will do just fine for monitoring.I have one at home myself. Its an excellent routing and monitoring mixer.
Why would anybody go through selling O1v and buying O1v96 for monitoring purposes is beyond me.
But hey i'm not crazyheh
Old 16th January 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Hz View Post
Yes you are. What kind of music do you do?
polka, cumbia, quebradita, surf music and some times Godspell.

And what kind of music you do?
Old 16th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
O1v will do just fine for monitoring.I have one at home myself. Its an excellent routing and monitoring mixer.
Why would anybody go through selling O1v and buying O1v96 for monitoring purposes is beyond me.
But hey i'm not crazyheh
Yea, it seems like my money would be better spent on a converter upgrade. I've been thinking about a Rosetta 200 for a while now.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledecker View Post
Eh? Monitoring is a vital part of the process for goodness sake, how can you make decisions when you don't hear things the right way. But whatever, I am not here to nanny anyone :-)

The difference between the 01v and the 96 is night and day BTW.

Quote:
polka, cumbia, quebradita, surf music and some times Godspell.

And what kind of music you do?
I do dance stuff mostly, some dub as well... bottom end is everything to me, which is why I was shocked at the difference between these desks, and very glad I upgraded.

Haven't heard of quebradita or Godspell, but I get the drift from your other styles... just wondering what music you fit the 01v sound into and prefer over other sounds, not making jugements or anything
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

One option for me would be to:

sell the 01V and Purchase a Rosetta 200. I could then use my other interfaces Motu 2408,1224 and TC Konnect 24 for sending headphone mixes to my headphone amps. I could monitor the analogue outs of the Rosetta and maybe find something analogue to control volume (not sure what that would be).

Does that sound like a good solution, or should I just upgrade to an 01V96?

(forgive me if this overlaps another thread in "High End"

Thanks!
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

I dunno matey... I think that is too many options, and very different options at that. The 01v96 is a versatile hands on box with loads of ins and outs, FX, EQ, Dynamics etc all for extremely cheap... the Rosetta 200 is a 2 channel converter. I can imagine the Rosetta would sound better (dunno how much, haven't A/B them), but functionally they are very different bits of gear. It is really up to you to decide how you want to work. Whatever you do, I would still recommend ditching the 10 year old 01v whilst you can still get some money for it, unless you dig the sound...
Old 17th January 2007
Quote:
Eh?
I do dance stuff mostly, some dub as well... bottom end is everything to me, which is why I was shocked at the difference between these desks, and very glad I upgraded.

Haven't heard of quebradita or Godspell, but I get the drift from your other styles... just wondering what music you fit the 01v sound into and prefer over other sounds, not making jugements or anything
Well, in that case... I apologise, I don't make quebradita, my main style is Pop music, and I only use my 01v (x4!) for keyboard monitoring purpouse I like to have all my modules and synths ready.

Best regards.

Armando Avila.
Old 17th January 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
bottom end is everything to me, which is why I was shocked at the difference between these desks, and very glad I upgraded.
Could you qualify what the difference between these two desks sounded like, in regards to bottom end?

Would you go so far as to guess what the difference between input & output (thru an 01V) is regarding frequency response? (I'm presuming your complaint is with the 01V's frequency response, given the reference to bottom end, but if you expect there to be noise, distortion, jitter, or some other audible artifacts imposed by the 01V I'd be curious to hear about them as well.)

And do you only notice these anomalies going analog In to analog Out, or are digital signals equally likely to be compromised?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search