The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Low profile MIDI controller with GOOD keys?
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear

Low profile MIDI controller with GOOD keys?

`I have posted a bit of threads here asking for small options as moved and my studio takes up a small corner of my kitchen. I am planning on building a rack and keyboard shelf into the countertop, I just built a nice butcher block one and want it all to match. If I use the same stuff I have, the butcherblock is about an inch thick, making it hard to have a taller controller.

I really enjoyed my Axiom 49, Gen 1, so anything with keys similar to that would work fine. I am currently using a Novation Remote SL, 37 key. I know I need at least a 37 key and I need full sized keys.

Plenty of low end controllers fit the size bill but the keys suck. I don't really need much more than just good keys, I don't tend to use knobs or faders much and would rather skip it for the low profile. The problem, most controllers with good keys have all the features, knobs, and that adds height to them. Is there something simple I am missing? I don't need full hammer weighted keys or anything, just not the stiff, cheaper stuff that has no feel and is super hard to control velocity.

I know this is a super basic question and could be in the newbie forum, I mostly posted here because the actual keys are very important to me which many beginners may or may not understand the difference between a $100 controller and $500-800 controller in feel.

A secondary question would be if anyone knows where to get some thinner butcher block that isn't finished and 1/2 inch or less. I know that isn't an audio question but worth a try.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search