The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DI box into interface to reduce noise? Amp Sim & Guitar Effects Plugins
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Nut

DI box into interface to reduce noise?

I have a Mackie Onyx Blackjack audio interface and I record guitars direct with it. It serves my needs pretty well, but I'm beginning to get a bit frustrated with the noise (and I believe electrical interference) that I'm getting. It's not SUPER overbearing, but it definitely comes through louder than I feel it should.

Here's some clips of just the noise (boosted by 36 dB to be easily audible). These have the Scuffham Amps S-Gear amp sim on with the Stealer model set to a moderate crunch.

No cable plugged into audio interface

Guitar plugged in with volume knob all the way up (note the added interference -- although my router and modem were turned on during this clip, I tried unplugging them and the interference is still there)

Here's a clip of the noise and then muted strumming, as an idea of the noise level in relation to signal

The noise is much lower when the interface is on line mode (rather than Hi-Z), but obviously the big impedance mismatch results in a very dull guitar tone.

Again, it's not ridiculously overbearing, but I feel like it should be possible to get less of it. I've recorded much higher gain amps via their FX sends or by running them into load boxes (and taking the direct out from the load box) into the interface in line mode and gotten MUCH lower noise floors, so I'm wondering if something about the interface's Hi-Z circuitry just isn't up to snuff. Would it help at all to run the guitar into a DI box so that I can use the interface's mic (or line) input properly?

Last edited by Markdude; 11th October 2015 at 01:47 AM..
Old 11th October 2015
Lives for gear
We always learnt that adding things into an analogue signal chain increased noise so my instinctive answer would be no. although a balanced input would be better if the output of the guitar isn't balanced I'm not sure it would make it any better, I suspect it would give you more noise.
Old 11th October 2015
Gear Guru

the buffer in a non true bypass guitar pedal might work better than the mackie. if you have one handy to test.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search